guo
Metal Slime

Post by guo »

Did you ever finish Tightfloss Maiden?
vvight.wordpress.com
Pepsi Ranger
Liquid Metal Slime

Post by Pepsi Ranger »

No. It's on my To Be Finished Eventually list, but not until I can devote some real focus on it. It's one of those games I really want to think through before I continue, as it's meant to have a much different narrative drive than the other games I'm working on, and I don't want to develop myself into a corner. It will most likely be the next one to get most of my focus. I also want to update and rerelease At the Risk of Manipulation as a side project sometime in the near future, as that one shouldn't take too long to complete.

For now, I'm focused on getting Entrepreneur: The Beginning v1.3 ready for 2017.
Place Obligatory Signature Here
Foxley
Metal Slime

Post by Foxley »

On second thought, I'm going to pass on this, and work on any projects in the near future at my own pace and on my own time. I've already consistently failed at producing anything finished for every contest thing in the past 2-3 years and it's honestly making the whole feeling of failure and not getting things done quite a bit worse. There's too much stress and difficulty in my life to stay focused on anything creative. That's just the stark reality of my current living situation. I'm looking forward to it improving, hopefully sometime next year I'll be able to finally make some changes.
Bob the Hamster
Lord of the Slimes

Post by Bob the Hamster »

I am sending you a hug.

And don't feel too bad about not finishing stuff-- look how many years i have not finished Wandering Hamster!
Foxley
Metal Slime

Post by Foxley »

Thanks James. And even if it's not finished, I've played it many times over the past 18 years and had fun each time I did. The Adlib version of FAUST.BAM has been permanently etched into my memory.
KF Harlock
Slime Knight

Post by KF Harlock »

Yeah, no worries, Foxley! If you do end up drawing anything or run into any problems, feel free to post it in the mega-thread anyway. Ramping up interaction between us devs is of more long-term importance to me than whether or not anyone finishes a game this year.
SPELLSHARD: THE BLACK CROWN OF HORGOTH now COMPLETE! <a href="http://www.slimesalad.com/forum/viewgam ... 4363">Grab it today!</a>
kylekrack
Liquid Metal Slime

Post by kylekrack »

Honestly, it's a little ridiculous to make the claim that everyone has the ability to finish something like a game on their own. Few people have done everything for a game on their own, and it's super impressive when they do for a good reason. Games are unlike other media and art forms in that visual art, programming, music, etc. all support one another along with another unique skill: game design. To put the expectation on yourself that you should inherently be able to finish a game on your own by sheer will is unhealthy. I'm not saying you can't, in fact I'm certain you can do a lot, Foxley. You've made a lot of awesome stuff. Still, making success a requirement only makes failure that much more destructive.

I think a great example of scope in the recent past was Pheonix's Laberythilium. It had all of the elements it needed to be a game. It had atmosphere, character, gameplay, and yet by the contest deadline it was still far from finished. That didn't make it any less impressive or fun to play. Sure, having a finished experience satisfies our completionist nature as humans, but a finished product should optimally be left to a team of people. I think the simple fact that game art takes so long to make is enough evidence for that.

Bottom line is, it's OK for you to feel bad about that, but you aren't alone. I'm just glad you're taking care of yourself.
My pronouns are they/them
Ps. I love my wife
marionline
Metal Slime

Post by marionline »

This is a cool contest idea! :o

I'm one day late, but I'll join. :)

I just don't know which game I'm going to work on.
There are many unfinished games.

**Question**: Does it have to be an game made with the OHR-Editor? Does it have to be an RPG?
I might try to programm something without the OHR-Editor, since I am too bad at plotscripting.
KF Harlock
Slime Knight

Post by KF Harlock »

Hey, everyone. Thanks for getting us off to a good start.

This is just a heads-up to let you know that I think we ought to move discussion over to the MEGA-THREAD (in this same forum). Now that the contest is underway, I think it's good to have all the questions/answers/update logs/response in the same place.

The rules of the contest have been determined and the first post of the MEGA-THREAD has been edited to reflect them. It also describes how the voting process will go. Most importantly is that, in light of the heavy holiday schedule between now and the end of the year, we've extended the deadline of the contest until January 31st. We lose the "start the new year with a new game!" thing that way, but hopefully it'll make the whole thing easier on everyone and encourage more participation!

Hope to see you all over there!
SPELLSHARD: THE BLACK CROWN OF HORGOTH now COMPLETE! <a href="http://www.slimesalad.com/forum/viewgam ... 4363">Grab it today!</a>