CAMPAIGN: The Unburning (D&D5e)

Talk about things that are not making games here. But you should also make games!

Moderators: Bob the Hamster, marionline, SDHawk

Spoonweaver
Liquid Metal King Slime

Post by Spoonweaver »

"I'll need to get higher," Sharn exclaimed, uncharacteristically referring to altitude. Sharn mage hands the bucket back to her. She turns around and leaves the room, heading for the stairs to attempt to go up on the roof or failing that, the highest floor possibly. She spills water out of the bucket everywhere she goes.
Last edited by Spoonweaver on Mon Oct 10, 2016 11:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gizmog
Metal King Slime

Post by Gizmog »

"The bucket, eet ees steel up there! Eef only we can get to eet!" Cece's pulled her vest up over her face, but it's little protection from the smoke and heat. What she does next depends heavily on whether or not she was able to get a bucket of water. If she was successful (Eef you need sometheen done, just ask the streets) then it would be a disgrace not to try to get it to the fire, no matter what the cost!

If she was unsuccesful (Those bums! They geev us all the bad name!) she'll stand there and look brave and follow the others as long as she can.
Bob the Hamster
Lord of the Slimes

Post by Bob the Hamster »

Yes, Cece did get a bucket of water. Sorry I forgot to mention it!
RMSephy
Metal Slime

Post by RMSephy »

Petrol staggers at the heat, beating a hasty retreat to the next highest floor where the heat is more bearable. "Wait up, Cece! It's way too dangerous without the cloaks, and I don't think a bucket of water will do too much good against the fire up there."
Mogri
Super Slime

Post by Mogri »

"The building is going down in flames!" Caldon shouts at the man. Drawing on the power of the helmet, he says, "You need to come with me!" He attempts to lead the man out of the building.
BMR
Metal King Slime

Post by BMR »

"Ah, but of course, I will defer to your judgment then. The Cuisine of the Sky sounds like a brilliant place to host the fundraiser, and gathering all of the old-money in one place will certainly be advantageous."

Kailyn ponders for a moment, then says:

"I feel guilty leaving you to contact your friend to secure the area though. In that case, I will take it upon myself to find this guild of firefighters and organize something with them. I'll also get in touch with the Executioner's Guild, that way we'll have the two main groups who should be working to stop these arsonists sure to come to our fundraiser. How does that sound?"
Being from the third world, I reserve the right to speak in the third person.

Using Editor version wip 20170527 gfx_sdl+fb music_sdl
Idontknow
Slime Knight

Post by Idontknow »

Ebald, close to Petrol and Cece on the way up the building agrees. "This is dangerous without one of the cloaks. Are you two sure you'll be ok?" The cloak does its job well, but he considers what to do next. The inferno on the roof looks dangerous, and is there anybody trapped on this floor? He turns to his team mates to see what their plans are.
Working as intended!
Newbie Newtype
Reigning Smash Champion

Post by Newbie Newtype »

"Pardon me, what is the hurry with you?" asks the Wizard gnome under the hat, "Surely you at least have the time to apologize."
<TheGiz> oh hai doggy, oh no that's the straw that broke tjhe came baclsb
Gizmog
Metal King Slime

Post by Gizmog »

Cece glares daggers at Ebald and Petrol. She *WILL* deliver this bucket of water to its fiery destinaton, unless she's positive she's going to catch fire herself, at which point she'll make a shameful withdrawal.
Bob the Hamster
Lord of the Slimes

Post by Bob the Hamster »

Petrol

Staggering back from the heat, Petrol retreats to the 4th floor. He can see that it looks decrepit and abandoned-- not that the lower floors looked great, but this one is in bad shape, and it isn't even burning yet.

Cece, Ebald, Evangeline

Ebald and Evangeline emerge into the 5th floor hallway well-protected from the heat, but Cece feels like she is a sausage slow-baking in an oven. In defiance of Ebald's words of caution, Cece darts forward to deliver her bucket of water.

Cece flings the bucket of water towards a patch of burning wall. The water splashes squarely and makes a quenching hiss that would be a satisfying sound if it was not dwarfed by all the other patches of flaming ceiling and wall

However, Cece doesn't get to enjoy the steam of her handiwork, because the force with which she wields her bucket with such force, the floorboards splinter underneath.
dexterity save wrote:d20+DEX=20=Critical success!

(Normally success would mean not falling, but I think in this situation, the best possible outcome for a critical success is a safe escape)
Ebald and Evangeline see Cece vanish though the floorboards without even seeming to touch the sides of the hole

Cece and Petrol

The ceiling in front of Petrol suddenly splits apart, and Cece lands in front of him in a hail of wood chips and plaster. She manages to remain standing, and is unharmed. The floor under her feet cracks visibly, but does not break.

A single pigeon feather flutters down from somewhere above and lodges in Cece's hair along with the splinters and plaster.

From behind him, Petrol hears old Zargorina gasp "Beautiful!"

He had not realized until now that she was walking behind him

Caldon

Caldon commands the green-skinned man to evacuate
persuasion check wrote:d20 at advantage + INT + proficiency = max(8, 13)+1=14=Failure!
The man stares into Caldon's face, but is only cowed for an instant. "Never! Not without my babies!" He continues scooting along the floor pushing the wine casks.

Caldon notices that the man has a peg-leg.

Normin

"I... What?" the dwelf seems flustered.

"I'm sorry, I didn't see you there. I have to go!..."

He points up at the building.

"...save my building! ... or..."

A splash of water from the roof is hits his head

"...or see what is going on up there!"

He enters the door to the west stairwell, and does not close it behind him.

Sharn

Sharn retracts the bucket into the window, splashing all the way.

She exits the bedroom.

She is in a living room. An elf woman is leaning over the back of a sofa, staring up and out a window. A dragonborn man is standing near her, also looking out the window.

The first door Sharn tries leads to a stairwell.

The two people in the apartment belatedly notice the torrent of water falling from the bucket as Sharn takes it through the room, and they both turn and yelp in surprise, only catching a fleeting glimpse of Sharn before she is out of their apartment and up the stairs.

Two flights up is a door that seems to go to the roof, but it is locked.

Kailyn

"That sounds like a capital division of labor, my good Count!" says Lord Bentham jovially. He finishes his sword coast coffee, in a mighty slurp. Then he reaches into his coat and extracts a calligraphic card and hands it to Kailyn. It reads:
Lord Mylar Bentham, Esq
401 Burgomeister Lane
Temple Hill, Great Bakak
~ Sport ~ Society ~ Health ~
An Hour Wasted Is a Leisure Gained
"We can meet here tomorrow for lunch, and if you need to reach me before then, just send a messenger by"

He waves goodbye, and departs, off in the direction of Cuisine of the Sky
Gizmog
Metal King Slime

Post by Gizmog »

Cece squinches her eyes shut as the building collapses and she falls to her doom, her only consolation being that no one can call her a coward.

When she hits ground (way ahead of schedule, how strange!) she opens them back up and takes a look at the afterlife. Oh. "Mondieu, I'm alive." she notes mechanically, almost disappointed at the relative mundanity of the pre-afterlife.

As she starts to dust herself off, she finds the feather and her whole attitude changes. "Mon.. mon.. MONDIEU! I'm alive!" She looks back up the hole in wonder, and down at the nearly broken floor in equal awe. The feather gets tucked safely and reverently into a pocket.

She looks to Petrol and the old lady in surprise. How embarassing, change the subject uhhh... " 'ow deed thees place get so bad? 'as the fire already been 'ere?"
Spoonweaver
Liquid Metal King Slime

Post by Spoonweaver »

Sharn pops an eldritch blast at the lock or even door until it opens. Then Sharn begins dumping water on the fire as much as she can. Sharn cackles while doing so.
Newbie Newtype
Reigning Smash Champion

Post by Newbie Newtype »

"I suppose I know where the fellow went, at least." Normin follows after to enter the building, but does not expect to accomplish much more at this point. The flowing water will only do so much to the fire this late in its growth, and even the lower floors are collapsing. The gnome takes his approach slow in case he is quickly impeded by the breaking building.
<TheGiz> oh hai doggy, oh no that's the straw that broke tjhe came baclsb
Mogri
Super Slime

Post by Mogri »

Caldon scowls. The man is able in body if not in mind; there's no need to haul him bodily from the building. Caldon leaves him to search for more worthwhile ways to spend his limited time in this building.
BMR
Metal King Slime

Post by BMR »

Kailyn smiles contentedly to himself, quite happy with how his little ruse went. He stands, pays his tab, and heads out.

He leaves the area, intending to search for wherever the head of the Executioner's Guild might be. He has absolutely no idea where it might be, but that's never stopped him before. Besides, if he gets lost, he can always charm some pretty or handsome young thing into giving him directions.
Being from the third world, I reserve the right to speak in the third person.

Using Editor version wip 20170527 gfx_sdl+fb music_sdl