CAMPAIGN: The Unburning (D&D5e)

Talk about things that are not making games here. But you should also make games!

Moderators: Bob the Hamster, marionline, SDHawk

Bob the Hamster
Lord of the Slimes

Post by Bob the Hamster »

Newbie Newtype wrote:Hopefully they will be out of the building soon.
DM wrote:Oops, yes, you were walking and talking. Normin is now at the bottom floor, right by the exit door.
Newbie Newtype
Reigning Smash Champion

Post by Newbie Newtype »

He exits the building (if the door is somehow unable to be opened, he'll magic missile to blast it open), hoping Silva will follow, "I suppose it's my duty to get you to safety. We have our own headquarters down the street where Sharn should meet us, but as of now there will surely be a crowd gathered, we must be careful."
<TheGiz> oh hai doggy, oh no that's the straw that broke tjhe came baclsb
Gizmog
Metal King Slime

Post by Gizmog »

"Mondieu, what do you theenk we are eenterupteeng?" Cece giggles, before knocking again more gently. "The buildeeng, she ees on fire, an' you need to escape now. We weel close our eyes for you!"
BMR
Metal King Slime

Post by BMR »

"Hmm..." Kailyn tries to make out the distance to the fire, but gives up as he's never really had much of a head for the technical minutiae.

"No, go ahead, carry on. I shall stay here. I am certain my colleagues have it well under control. And besides, judging by how far that is, chances are everything will be over by the time I get there. I would be doing them a disservice by adding another person to the confusion."

Kailyn considers the problem. They need a way to get in touch with everyone quickly, and a way to get from place to place without all the tedious walking around on the streets. Given the amount they're willing to spend on the salaries, there must be something all magical-like that they could do to transport everyone at once to the headquarters should the need arise. He resolves to have a talk with... with... what's-her-name, the next day.

He also ponders the convenience of this. The very day the Sausage Buckets are formed, there's a massive fire (or at least it looked massive from where he was) within the vicinity of where he supposes the headquarters is. It might be a good idea to do some investigating later on, and not just of the fire. Something's off, and in his experience when someone offers you a whole boat-load of easy money as the government just did, then there's certainly something you're not being told.
Last edited by BMR on Thu Sep 08, 2016 5:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
Being from the third world, I reserve the right to speak in the third person.

Using Editor version wip 20170527 gfx_sdl+fb music_sdl
Idontknow
Slime Knight

Post by Idontknow »

Ebald groans, crosses his arms and shakes his head, saying under his breath "Now really isn't the time for that..." He finds the situation somewhat amusing, but wants to finish the job as soon as possible.
Working as intended!
RMSephy
Metal Slime

Post by RMSephy »

Petrol is speechless for a few moments as he tries to bleach out what he just saw from his mind. "The lady's right! The building's on fire, and you're all going to be roasted if you don't get out right now!" He'd nervously step to the side of the door at the mention of crossbows, looking around for something to hide behind if needed.
Last edited by RMSephy on Thu Sep 08, 2016 6:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bob the Hamster
Lord of the Slimes

Caldon

Caldon carries the woman out the front door. He skirts around the pile of flaming trash in the street, and puts her down in front of Evangeline and Arcadia.

Arcadia casts Spare the Dying on the unconscious woman, and she seems to breath easier. Her eyes flicker open, and focus on Caldon.

Evangeline plays her violin charmingly, and makes thinly veiled sarcastic comments

A flaming mattress begins to slowly extrude from the third floor window that the burning trash has been coming from, but it still looks tiny compared to the blaze rising from the roof.

Normin

Normin finds the door unblocked, exits, and indicates the direction of the Headquarters to Silva. She seems to be listening, but does not reply. She hurries towards the front of the building, looking for her sister.

From where Normin is standing, he can see the crowd gathered in the street.

He can see people leaning out of the windows of the nearest building, looking up at the burning building, and murmuring with alarm.

"Something exploded!"
"Is it going to jump to our roof?"

He can hear angry shouting from the back of the building. It looks like there is a dirty litter-strewn alley-way back there, separating the back of this building from the backs of the shorter buildings on the next street.

"Hey Stop! Stop!"
"I'll kill you, you bastard! Look what you've done!"
"Don't touch me! I do nothing! You let go or I kill you!"
"STOP!"

Cece, Ebald, Petrol
Persuasion check wrote:d20+CHA+Profficiency, at advantage (because Cece started the persuasion and Petrol is assisting)

MAX(9, 2) + 3 + 0 = 12 = Success!
The voices seem to confer in loud whispers.

"Maybe we should go with the peepers? They said they will close their eyes"
"Peepers always peep, even if they say they wont, they can't help what they is!"
"We can't stay here if the house is burning down, Ma"
"I told you I smelled smoke, Pa!"
"I thought it was just your hotness, Ma!"
(momentary wet kissing noises)
"Stop it you letch, lets get decent!"

In a moment, the door swings open, and the old wrinkly couple emerges. The good news is that they are now wearing silk robes. The bad news is that they don't appear to think actually closing the robes is an important part of being "decent"

The woman points accusingly at Ebald. "You said your eyes were going to be closed! See! See, Pa! PEEPERS!"

Sharn

Sharn unleashes an Eldritch blast at an upward angle ahead of her, and several things happen very fast.

The blast rips away some of the smoke, and impacts something much closer to Sharn than she had intended. It seems that the ceiling of the hallway ahead of her was already partially collapsed. The floor beneath her buckles to the left, and the flowing water at her feet changes direction, going left now, instead of back behind her. The fallen beam that was blocking her path begins to slide diagonally, and the floor and ceiling both seem to be slumping sideways and down.

Sharn falls in a confusion of splintering wood and splashing water.
falling damage wrote:Sharn takes 2 HP bludgeoning damage
She finds herself alive, laying on her side. A sharp chunk of wood is stabbed into the floor in front of her face, and she is covered with splinters and smaller chunks of wood and plaster. Water is still raining down from above, but gushing even faster from some point in the rubble nearby. If she stays where she is, her face will be underwater in a mater of seconds.

The scene is too confusing to take in all at once, but there is a source of light, and she seems to be in a room that is half pristine with shelves all over the walls, and half collapsed rubble of the wall and ceiling of the hall above.

Others in the building

Cece, Ebald, and Petrol can hear this loud creaking splintering crash from the floor above down the hallway to the west of them.

Normin can hear this creaking from above, but it isn't as loud as the shouting from the back alley.

Caldon, Evangeline, and Arcadia cannot hear the sounds of Sharn's incident at all. They are too far away

Kailyn

Kailyn settles back into his pose, and Piter resumes painting.

"I'm sure your colleagues are conssumate professionals just like yourself", the artist flatters cheerfully.
local knowledge check wrote:d20+INT (+ I'm giving you your History profficency bonus on this one)

10+1+2=13=Success!

You remember seeing young upper-class people around the fashionable parts of town using small disposable one-time-use messaging charms. You have no idea where they buy them.

You have also seen a permanent teleportation circle in the entry foyer of a wealthy aristocrat's house where you once attended a party, but that place was devilishly fancy! Gold filligree everything to the point of bad taste, but the kind of bad taste that says "Look everybody! Look how much bad taste I can afford!"
Last edited by Bob the Hamster on Fri Sep 09, 2016 8:20 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Spoonweaver
Liquid Metal King Slime

Post by Spoonweaver »

Dazed and confused, Sharn digs through the rubble searching for the bucket.
Newbie Newtype
Reigning Smash Champion

Post by Newbie Newtype »

Normin's attention perks to a peculiar incident. He tells Silva, "Notify the executioners, I must make an eye witness of myself." Without bothering to ensure Silva complies, he makes his way to the alley way, carefully, his only goal to discover the appearance of those possibly involved to investigate later in case it turns out to be too dangerous to approach the incident on his own with dwindled spell supply.

Dexterity check for Stealth: 1D20+1 => (20 + 1) = 21

I didn't see anything about how size affects stealth checks, but Normin should be able to find cover more easily

Wisdom check for Perception: 1D20+1 => 12

Normin has darkvision which might help see through the shadow cast between the buildings of the alleyway
<TheGiz> oh hai doggy, oh no that's the straw that broke tjhe came baclsb
BMR
Metal King Slime

Post by BMR »

Kailyn ponders this some more... There's some potential for a solution here, one that would perhaps be profitable. Perhaps not in terms of coin, but certainly in prestige and position.

"Piter, a question. At the university, I'm certain there are a few instructors there who are, how shall I put it... getting along in years. And being a university, those older chaps are certainly the more important and prestigious ones. Do they have some means of teleporting or otherwise moving quickly through the university grounds? Or barring that, do you know of anyone in the university who's capable of setting up some means of teleportation for my colleagues and I?"
Being from the third world, I reserve the right to speak in the third person.

Using Editor version wip 20170527 gfx_sdl+fb music_sdl
Idontknow
Slime Knight

Post by Idontknow »

Ebald was unfortunately a bit slow in covering his eyes, and he yelps in surprise as he covers them at the horrible sight. "I didn't mean to, I swear!" he pleads.
Working as intended!
RMSephy
Metal Slime

Post by RMSephy »

"Yeah, please forgive the man. He really couldn't help himself, but at least you're both dressed up." Petrol makes the brief mistake of turning around, catching a glimpse of the couple, and then quickly turning around and closing his eyes again. "A-anyways! The house sounds like it's falling apart! You should get out of here right quick!"
Gizmog
Metal King Slime

Post by Gizmog »

"Such a 'orrible crash! 'e ees right, eet ees all comeeng down! I 'ad better go warn junk lady!" Cece stumbles off down the hall, curious how far she can go before having to open her eyes.
Master K
King Slime

Post by Master K »

Evangeline plays her violin charmingly, almost in a dreamlike haze as she tries to cope with the fact there's a 5 story building going to hell. In the Unburning, of all times. And of course, she was now a fire-fighter.

Rubbish is falling...in fact, an entire damn mattress is falling. What in the divines is going on in there?!

Not contented with merely being the pretty face controlling the crowd, Evangeline wants to see some action. She turns to Arcadia,

"I'm taking a bucket and I'm getting in there. I can't stand by and watch any more of this calamity. You can join, if you so desire, but someone needs to manage this crowd. At the very least, stop them from getting hit by incendiary mattresses."

With that, she takes a bucket, and begins to plod forward towards an entrance, mindful of the falling debris.
Bob the Hamster
Lord of the Slimes

Caldon and Evangeline

Heeding Evangeline's warning about the mattress, Caldon and Arcadia move the injured woman further away from the burning pile of rubbish. Arcadia continues tending to her wounds.

The woman is looking at Caldon. She is looking at him in a way.

As she approaches the front door, Evangeline sees the mattress tip and fall. It hits the burning rubbish pile hard, sending smaller pieces flying. Evangeline dodges them easily.

Both Caldon and Evangeline notice that as chunks of burning trash are knocked across the mid-line of the road, the flames wink out immediately.

This street is directly on the edge of the Unburning's edge.

Evangeline enters the front door. The entry room is empty, as are the hallways to the left and right. It seems as if the residents of the first floor have already all gotten out of the building. There is a staircase leading up to the second floor, and a door leading into the central courtyard in the middle of the building. Red light from above bathes the courtyard, and small feathery burning objects are falling down from above, swirling around as the fire up top pulls air up from below.

Ebald Petrol and Cece

The old nudist couple seems convinced. They seem to know the way out, and start moving towards the stairs on their own. The man stares at Ebald and Petrol as he goes, making sure they aren't peeking.

"I'm watching you, peepers!"

Cece hurries ahead, intending to warn the Junk lady. With her eyes closed, she collides with the wall at the corner. The old nudist woman is pleased.

"Now she has her eyes closed. That peeper is one of the good ones!"
she says approvingly.

When Cece gets back to Zargorina's door, the old goblin woman is trying to shift a wardrobe that must weigh 8 times as much as herself. She apparently set fire to all the clothes inside before she even started to try and shift it.

The room is considerably less cluttered now, much of the stuff having already gone out the window, but it is still a confusing mess of junk and boxes, most of which are at least smoldering now.
DM wrote:Ebald and Petrol can see this too, if they chose to follow Cece rather than following the nudists to the stairs.
Sharn

Sharn gets herself upright, and focuses on finding the bucket. She finds it quickly, as the torrent of water pouring out of it makes it hard to miss. She only has to move aside a few chunks of wood, and she picks it up. The Magic Bucket is safe!

Then Sharn looks around.

Half the room is rubble. The floor of the fifth-floor hallway collapsed sideways, along with the wall of this room. She is on the 4th floor now, but the door back into the 4th floor hallway is completely covered with fallen wood beams and plaster (if it is even still door-shaped anymore)

She might possibly be able to climb the rubble back into the remains of the 5th floor hallway above, but it looks like a hard dangerous climb. Water is still pouring down from up there. Quite a lot of water had accumulated up there while she was searching for the bucket.

The other half of the room is covered from floor to ceiling in cabinets and shelves. There are glass bottles, boxes, and tiny cloth bundles everywhere. The sheer number of small bottles is overwhelming, and many of them are brightly colored. The place smells like an apothecary. Sharn definitely recognizes the scent of lazyleaf and doom-cap in amongst the olfactory cacophony of scents.

There are also quite a lot of small bottles and boxes and bundles scattered around on the floor, some broken. Apparently the part of the room that collapsed was covered in similar shelves and cabinets.

Most of the light in the room is coming from a pretty glowing globe about the size of Sharn's head. It is hanging from the ceiling. It seems to be radiating magical light.

There is also some light coming from the window in the far wall, but the window is mostly obscured by a thin shelving unit that someone has built right over the middle of it.

Normin
Stealth check wrote:Dexterity check for Stealth: 1D20+1 => (20 + 1) = 21 = Natural 20! Critical Success!
As Normin carefully rounds the corner, trying to make himself unnoticed, he realizes that the back wall of the building facing the alley has been painted with a vivid mural of large hats. Bowlers, flat-caps, trilbys, top-hats, leather-helms, tri-corners, skullcaps. Against this background, Big Hat Normin might as well be under the effect of an Invisibility spell.

Normin sees three people. A red-bearded dwelf has his fingers wrapped around the neck of a lankey tattooed orc. The orc's firsts are alternately clawing at the dwelfs arms and pummeling his torso. They are both shouting. Flecks of spittle dance from the dwelf's mouth.

"This was MY home you filthy vagrant! I'll kill you!"

Both men have clearly visible weapons on their belts, but neither has unsheathed them yet.

The third person that Normin can see is a tall powerfully built man in the white-trimmed garb of the Executioner's Guild. He is facing away, but his hood is off, and Normin can see the straps that hold on his mask, criss-crossing through his mussed hair.

The executioner sprints towards the brawling men, still shouting "STOP!"

The executioner strikes one of the men with a powerful open-fisted strike, sending both the combatants flying backwards into the wall.

Kailyn

Piter rubs the side of his chin as he ponders this question. He seems unaware that his brush is slopping paint onto his large draconic ear as he does this.

"Well, Count Kailyn, I don't know much about magic, it is not my field, but I do know that Professor Valentine teaches a graduate class on Teleportation. Apparently it is very exclusive. I was... talking with a third-year Wizarding student, and she was just going on and on about how she had to ace every exam and take advanced placement if she hoped to be eligible for his class before he is... well... you know... retired".

Piter speaks the word "retired" as if it is dripping with blood.