idle animations??

Ask and answer questions about making games and related topics. Unrelated topics go in that other forum.

Moderators: marionline, SDHawk

TabletopTimeTurner
Red Slime

idle animations??

Post by TabletopTimeTurner »

I want to animate some of the npcs that dont move to make them seem less lifeless, I was thinking of just doing something like having it so that it moves up or down but they stay in place but i don't think its possible and if it is then i dont know how to do it. Has anyone here tried doing something like this??
Taco Bot
Meat, Cheese, and Silicon

Post by Taco Bot »

You might be able to achieve this by restricting them to a move zone, then putting a single tile of that zone under their feet. Can't confirm that this would work though. They might just get really twitchy...
Sent from my iPhone
TabletopTimeTurner
Red Slime

Post by TabletopTimeTurner »

Taco Bot wrote:You might be able to achieve this by restricting them to a move zone, then putting a single tile of that zone under their feet. Can't confirm that this would work though. They might just get really twitchy...
Yeah I now see there's a walk in place function available and it does almost work but the problem is that all the movement speeds are too fast, even speed 1 is too fast to work lmao.
guo
Metal Slime

Post by guo »

Make animated tiles of the characters, then put invisible NPCs on top of them for activating text boxes etc.
vvight.wordpress.com
TMC
Metal King Slime

Post by TMC »

Alright, alright, everyone complains that the "walk in place" animation is too fast (it's the same speed as the walking animation; one frame per two ticks). We should just make the speed customisable*.

*It's my fault that it's not, because previously I objected to a per-npc setting, because it would clash with the future walkabout animation system. But a global rather than per-npc setting would be very clean with no backwards-compatibility problems.
Last edited by TMC on Fri Aug 12, 2016 2:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.