Heart of the OHR Contest 2016

Make games! Discuss those games here.

Moderators: Bob the Hamster, marionline, SDHawk

guo
Metal Slime

Post by guo »

I voted no extension, and I can release something by the 31st, but I'd be a fool not to take advantage of the extra time for polishing, easter eggs & minor additions ( + I'm extremely sick atm, and have to go out of town for most of the week ).
Last edited by guo on Mon Jul 25, 2016 4:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
vvight.wordpress.com
Feenicks
Metal Slime

Post by Feenicks »

I'm definitely going to need the extra time, seeing as I'd need to work incredibly hard over the next two days to finish up things and I really don't have that in me right now.

It's 'just' some scripting of events, throwing in of a ton of text, and maybe drawing a few more relatively small things, but even that feels like a fair amount of work.
RMZ
King Slime

Post by RMZ »

http://redtrianglegames.com/surfasaurus.html

Surfasaurus is officially submitted for the contest.

I am planning an update released by 8/15. Never thought I'd make a game as involved as this one.

EDIT: Decided it would just be easier to host the game on my site. Let me know if you have issues downloading it.
Last edited by RMZ on Mon Aug 01, 2016 2:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
Idontknow
Slime Knight

Post by Idontknow »

Here's a link to my game. I posted it before July 31 so I'll update it some time before the 8/15 deadline.
http://www.slimesalad.com/forum/viewgame.php?p=123860

I look forward to playing Surfasaurus, Surfs Up Yuk was pretty enjoyable so I'm sure this will be fun too.
Last edited by Idontknow on Mon Aug 01, 2016 4:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
Working as intended!
Pepsi Ranger
Liquid Metal Slime

Post by Pepsi Ranger »

I tend to set my deadlines for 6am Eastern Standard Time (seven and a half hours from now), so anyone who gets theirs uploaded before then will still have the opportunity to get feedback prior to his or her official release. Anyone who submits after 6am will be telling the community that their game is ready for play.

Good luck, everyone. Still hoping for a good turnout.
Place Obligatory Signature Here
Ichiro
Slime Knight

Post by Ichiro »

Well, here's what I could manage for this compo.

http://www.slimesalad.com/forum/viewtop ... 959#123959
KF Harlock
Slime Knight

Post by KF Harlock »

I had really hoped to have something done for this, as I was working on a project I was really enjoying back around May. Unfortunately, late May through now was one of the most demanding and stressful periods of my life to date. We're talking personal crises, family deaths, everything you can imagine, all topped off with a nine day, 4000-mile driving marathon. Everything is good now, but all I had time to do over the summer was a single enemy sprite, so I won't have anything to submit. I'm still planning to drop at least a demo sometime soon, but just wanted to let everyone know what was up with me. Looking forward to the other entries; this is always my favorite contest!
SPELLSHARD: THE BLACK CROWN OF HORGOTH now COMPLETE! <a href="http://www.slimesalad.com/forum/viewgam ... 4363">Grab it today!</a>
guo
Metal Slime

Post by guo »

Damn Harlock, sorry to hear that. Hope things are looking up for you now. 2016 has been a crazy year so far, let's hope that these games being released will bring some joy to everyone.
vvight.wordpress.com
RMZ
King Slime

Post by RMZ »

Alright, my game has been updated in time for the deadline to the contest. It's ready for PC now.

http://redtrianglegames.com/surfasaurus.html
guo
Metal Slime

Post by guo »

Demo released, after 6 long months of hard work. Enjoy!

http://www.slimesalad.com/forum/viewgame.php?p=124082
vvight.wordpress.com
Feenicks
Metal Slime

Post by Feenicks »

At last, a demo. As usual, let me know if anything substantial [or anything, really] is broken.
Attachments
anotherterribleidea0017.png
anotherterribleidea0017.png (10.46 KiB) Viewed 2722 times
guo
Metal Slime

Post by guo »

Very impressive work, Pheonix. I have all the released games ready to go, but it seems a few entrants haven't released anything - Nathan Karr, Gizmog, Master K & Mammoth Studs. Also, Wandering Hamster technically counts as an entry, right?

PepsiRanger, do you have specific criteria that we should be voting on? Eg, adherence to spirit of contest, graphics, sound, story, gameplay...?
vvight.wordpress.com
Nathan Karr
Liquid Metal Slime

Post by Nathan Karr »

Since I'm clearly not going to be finished with this 34-map game in time (currently 14 defined and maybe 3 or so in their finalized states) I'm going to just post this last piece of hype for when I finally do finish; this contest definitely did give me inspiration, just too bad I kept getting worn out with real life junk or randomly receiving injuries.

I'm definitely still going to give whatever prize it was I said I was offering. Also, have a screenshot.

Well he had to go somewhere when Misa took his place in Wandering Hamster.
Remeber: God made you special and he loves you very much. Bye!
guo
Metal Slime

Post by guo »

I like the old school vibe, keep at it!
vvight.wordpress.com
Pepsi Ranger
Liquid Metal Slime

Post by Pepsi Ranger »

Nathan, if you have any part of it you want to release as a preview-style demo (up to 30 minutes of gameplay), you can. Just tie it off at a place where you'll want the "taster" version to end to avoid future spoilers. It's up to you. I'll give you a chance to enter if you want to do this. I've been hoping you'd enter for the last three HotOHRs, since all of your games are unmistakingly old school, so if you can this time, that would be awesome. The official deadline is six hours from now. Hopefully you'll get this message in time.

If anyone's having trouble uploading their games, just post here and let me know. I'm sure this isn't a problem for anyone, but I know how stressed people can get at the deadline. Take a breather. If you're having trouble, let me know that the game is on its way, and I'll give you a few extra hours to figure it out.
guo wrote:Very impressive work, Pheonix. I have all the released games ready to go, but it seems a few entrants haven't released anything - Nathan Karr, Gizmog, Master K & Mammoth Studs. Also, Wandering Hamster technically counts as an entry, right?
I think James already said that Wandering Hamster doesn't have enough new stuff in it to qualify. Changing a character doesn't count. Finishing an entire section previously unfinished would count.
guo wrote:PepsiRanger, do you have specific criteria that we should be voting on? Eg, adherence to spirit of contest, graphics, sound, story, gameplay...?
I don't, no. I'm not sure if anyone has volunteered to reward games for special accomplishments this time (we did in 2014, though it didn't work out, if I recall). But I'm erring on the side of vote based on whatever criteria you want.

The voting requirement is to simply grade games on a scale from 1 to 10 (or you can rate 1 to 5 and multiply by 2--I don't care). Note: This is not in comparison to the other games. Each game should be assigned a value based on greatness (you decide what that means--again, I don't care why you score a game the way you do). So, if you love the game and think it's Game of the Year material, give it a 9 or a 10. If you could convert it to paper and still refuse to line your birdcage with it for fear of contaminating the birdcage, then give it a 1 or a 2. You don't have to play them all, though you should. Whatever you do play, make sure you play as much of it as you can, but definitely give it at least 30 minutes of your time. I don't think we have any rereleases this year, but if we do, make sure you vote according to the new stuff. Don't play something that was released six years ago and vote on that. That's not what's new to this contest and is otherwise irrelevant to Heart of the OHR 2016. Vote on new content or the entire game as a complete impression (ideal).

I'll start accepting votes whenever I put together the official list of releases, which I'll do sometime tomorrow. Even though the official cutoff is 6 am Eastern Standard Time, I'll still add anything that's been released and brought to my knowledge since March 1st, so if you're running a little behind, don't fret over sneaking it in. I'll accept anything released prior to my official announcement of the eligible games for Heart of the OHR 2016. Once that list is posted, you can start sending me your votes whenever you're ready.

Votes can be posted here or through PM.

I strongly urge all participants in the contest to also vote. The community is much less active than it was in 2010 or 2012, so I don't expect that many votes from outside members. You may be the only person voting on your game, so I encourage you to participate in voting, too. And if you vote for your own game (encouraged), you'll also want to vote on everyone else's, as they will likely also be voting on yours.

Also, be aware that I'm kinda grumpy this year, so I won't be extending voting deadlines like I often find myself doing. Because we have so few entries this time, and it doesn't look as though any of them would take very long to finish, I don't see any reason to stretch the voting deadline past August 31st. Because the original post states that voting will last until September 30, I'll honor that if there's a need for it. I set that date originally because in 2014 we had Mr. Triangle's Adventure and a couple of other long entries to play through, and I wanted to accommodate any potential long releases for this year. I don't know how long everyone's entry is, so that date may still stand (and I will let you know if it does in due time), but if it turns out that everyone's game is short, then because we have so few getting released this year, I don't want to stretch voting out to the inevitable procrastination zone. Basically, vote now or forever hold your peace.

If those of you entering could post an estimated play time, that would be great. That'll help me decide how long to keep voting open for.

Good luck, everyone. I'll post the official list of releases soon. Final warning to those of you still scrambling to finish. Again, you have until 6 am EST, officially, or until I compile the list, unofficially, to get those entries posted.

Thanks again to everyone who's participating this year.
Place Obligatory Signature Here