Heart of the OHR Contest 2016

Make games! Discuss those games here.

Moderators: Bob the Hamster, marionline, SDHawk

kylekrack
Liquid Metal Slime

Post by kylekrack »

Pheonix wrote:
kylekrack wrote:Fingers crossed.
Nice, but it's phoenix; my username's mispelled.
Oh crap, I hadn't even realized I'd done this. Your username has ruined my subconscious!!

That's actually really funny, though. Thanks for the notice.
Last edited by kylekrack on Fri Jun 24, 2016 7:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
My pronouns are they/them
Ps. I love my wife
Foxley
Metal Slime

Post by Foxley »

So would it be a Slexit?

Sounds kind of naughty.
kylekrack
Liquid Metal Slime

Post by kylekrack »

Foxley wrote:So would it be a Slexit?

Sounds kind of naughty.
Kind Of Naughty is my weekend title.
My pronouns are they/them
Ps. I love my wife
Ichiro
Slime Knight

Post by Ichiro »

Vote for Evil Slime 2016.
Pepsi Ranger
Liquid Metal Slime

Post by Pepsi Ranger »

Hey guys, we're officially down to the final month. How close are you to releasing your games?

So, I've given the extension question some thought. I'm thinking about it in terms of what's affected the state of HotOHR games in the past.

What I think I'm going to do this year is change the nature of the deadline rather than the deadline itself. Let me break this down by practical application, using a fictitious story about a Heart of the OHR contestant releasing his game on July 31st.

Code: Select all

(Contestant checks the time. The Heart of the OHR window is about to close, and he still has to finish the last hallway in his final dungeon.)

CONTESTANT: Oh no. The Quest for My Dignity is due in an hour if I want to make the release window. I still need another week!

(Contestant hashes out a rushed hallway and lame ending to make sure he's uploaded for the July 31st deadline. Then he uploads it with five minutes to spare.)

CONTESTANT: Whoo, just in time. Now I need to finish my hallway properly and iron out all of the game's bugs for the next two weeks. Hopefully no one will judge me harshly while I'm trying to fix what I know is broken.

(end scene)
The contestant knows he will likely be judged harshly because, even though he has two weeks to fix the game before the final deadline comes, he also knows that some players will start playing and judging him on August 1st, and no amount of patchwork will appease them because they won't replay the game on August 16th when voting officially begins.

So...I don't really want to penalize the contestant for striving for excellence.

That said, the July 31st deadline is still in place. Sort of. But, I know that some people don't want to release their games with bugs or unfinished sections, as that could negatively affect judging. So, I will accept releases submitted between August 1st and August 15th from those who request it, based on the idea that premature exposure could ruin the player's experience. But be advised that this still counts as the bugfix period, and releasing your game after July 31st means that you're ready for people to play it, and whatever state it's in is vote-worthy. Releasing it on or before July 31st encourages feedback for the sake of fixing things, but votes will not be counted until you release the official version sometime between August 1st and August 15th (and you designate it as officially ready for voting).

I hope that makes sense.

If I recall, in previous contests, late submissions forfeited the entry prize, but I won't do that this year, not if you have a good reason for holding off past the first deadline. I don't want to encourage rushed entries this year, especially if the turnout is low.

TL;DR: You can submit during the August 1 - 15 bugfix window instead of July 31 or before, but doing so tells voters that you're ready for their opinions and ratings. Releasing on or before July 31st tells voters that you're not ready for their votes, but you are ready for them to tell you what's broken so you can fix it in time for votes.
Place Obligatory Signature Here
Foxley
Metal Slime

Post by Foxley »

I like this sound of this. It incentivizes finishing on time or early so you can request feedback and testing, but doesn't screw over people who need a bit more time to ensure it'll be better quality.

I'm going to try to get something with substance to it before July 31st and ask for feedback at that point, so I can make improvements and release something more polished before August 15th. If I'm not able to do that, I'll just do what I can and release it by the 15th.
RMZ
King Slime

Post by RMZ »

Thanks for that Pepsi. I'm still shooting for July 31st, but it does take a small amount of pressure off of me. I'm stoked to share this game with everyone.
guo
Metal Slime

Post by guo »

Still pushing for the 31st. I have a lot of commitments over the next 3 weeks but that shouldn't be a problem.
Attachments
Fun times await
Fun times await
HotOHR20160000.png (15.5 KiB) Viewed 2753 times
vvight.wordpress.com
Gizmog
Metal King Slime

Post by Gizmog »

Lookin super stylish, Guo! The font really goes nicely with it too.
guo
Metal Slime

Post by guo »

Thanks Giz! The font is by Setu Firestorm.
vvight.wordpress.com
TMC
Metal King Slime

Post by TMC »

Yes, nice pixelwork! Although I notice that at the top right there's a piece of floor without a wall above it. Is that intentional (is it a doorway?) What looks like a puddle of blood on a wall is also a bit odd.

Ah yes, you can get that font here.

The "extension" to the deadline sounds like a good compromise.
Last edited by TMC on Thu Jul 07, 2016 6:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
guo
Metal Slime

Post by guo »

The section without a wall is part of a collapsed tunnel, but I agree it does look a bit strange. The blood puddle on the wall is a bit of a placeholder atm, I will make more varied blood splatters at some stage. Cheers.
vvight.wordpress.com
Ichiro
Slime Knight

Post by Ichiro »

I'm gonna be camping on the due date, damn.
Feenicks
Metal Slime

Post by Feenicks »

Still have a whole bunch to do. Might need that extra time, but let's see what I can accomplish in this last half-month.
Attachments
Lazy battle backgrounds [laziness for me is throwing something together in sketchup, taking a screenshot, and going with that]
Lazy battle backgrounds [laziness for me is throwing something together in sketchup, taking a screenshot, and going with that]
better.png (18.71 KiB) Viewed 2627 times
Foxley
Metal Slime

Post by Foxley »

Suddenly, there is entirely too much slime going on in my life right now and I seriously need to remove this arbitrary deadline/obligation hanging over my head for the sake of my mental health.

I'll still send out Steam keys or Amazon gift card vouchers to the winners.

Will try to have something playable by the end of the year. (For the record, I'm not giving up on the game, but need to give up on this contest period)

Real life is slimy. Must be why I love video games.