CAMPAIGN: The Unburning (D&D5e)

Talk about things that are not making games here. But you should also make games!

Moderators: Bob the Hamster, marionline, SDHawk

Idontknow
Slime Knight

Post by Idontknow »

Ebald wakes up to the sound of a rooster from a nearby field. "Hopefully this whole thing goes well..." He thinks as he rolls out of bed, stretches, and looks at the calendar, further reminding him of the big day today.

He grabbed his rather plain clothes out of the small dresser in his room and put them on, ate a small portion of bread for breakfast, slipped the mop top off his trusty old quarterstaff, slung his adventure pack over his shoulder and walked out the door. Being late wasn't an option, this was his last chance. He was pretty sure he knew where the tavern he was to meet at was, having lived in the city his whole life, and hurried there, wondering what adventure awaited him.
Last edited by Idontknow on Wed Jun 22, 2016 9:52 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Working as intended!
Newbie Newtype
Reigning Smash Champion

Post by Newbie Newtype »

"Hm? So it is.." He adjusts the brim of his hat once it had been prodded. For whatever reason, Normin had assumed the flyer meant that the meeting was the night previous, but it had seemed to be an error on his part. There was no reason to return, so he had simply stayed. He used a gold piece to purchase a bottle to quell the thirst, expecting the job will allow him to pay the days' rent missed, but this time he abstains from excess for once knowing that a drunken man will get ill attention in matters of work. In fact, he notices he still has some drink left in the bottle for today.

"Notify me when the butchery or whomever else they send arrives to regard the volunteers, will you?" Normin asks while unwinding his bottle, "I wouldn't know the spokesmen from first glance."
Last edited by Newbie Newtype on Wed Jun 22, 2016 9:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
<TheGiz> oh hai doggy, oh no that's the straw that broke tjhe came baclsb
Bob the Hamster
Lord of the Slimes

Post by Bob the Hamster »

Petrol

Petrol makes his way down the stone steps, out of the Low Judges office, and through the streets of Old Bakak. Except for the usual scattering of breakfast porters, the streets are largely empty. He sees one barrister, arms clutched full of file folders, perhaps heading home after an all-nighter.

A Paladin of the Executioner's guild taps the chin of his wooden mask in lieu of a polite smile. A friendly gesture that means both "have a great day, citizen!" and "I'm watching you" at the same time.

He reaches the Unlucky Thrush without incident.

Ebald

Ebald sees school-children carrying their packs. A couple of them wave and say "Hi" Ebald isn't a stranger, he is a neighbor. These kids are not heading to the local schools, those don't open for another hour at least. These children are heading for the magnate school on the University campus, so they are walking through Marketday by the same route he is going.

His walk is a long one, but he will get to the Tavern in fair time.

Evangeline

As others filter into the room, the tavernkeeper comes over to where Evangeline is playing her violin. She is a big broad middle-aged Teifling with a friendly face, and her hair done up in a no-nonsense bun between her enormous horns.

"No busking unless you buy a drink!" she says, a little sharply and then in a softer tone, "And I'm only allowing that much since you play so well!"

Then a momentary cloud of confusion passes her face. "Are you here for the thing?"

All present

Ms Zest turns a bit away from Evangeline, and calls around the room; "Yoo-hoo! How many of you lot are here for the Arcane Firefighter's nonsutch?"
Last edited by Bob the Hamster on Wed Jun 22, 2016 10:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Newbie Newtype
Reigning Smash Champion

Post by Newbie Newtype »

Normin abandons the bottle before finishing its contents, then climbs down the stool to approach the woman and to become present.
<TheGiz> oh hai doggy, oh no that's the straw that broke tjhe came baclsb
Bob the Hamster
Lord of the Slimes

"I already know you are" she says quickly, winking at Big Hat Normin.

She likes a drinker who pays his tab in advance, and after that gold coin he passed her a moment ago, he is welcome to sleep on her bar-stool for another two days if he pleases
Spoonweaver
Liquid Metal King Slime

Post by Spoonweaver »

"Well that was a mistake," Sharn whispered as she woke up next to an old smelly dwarf. How much older was he then her, she wondered. "In the case of long live races such as dwarves, these types of age gaps must happen often," she said quietly,comforting herself. She snuck out of bed, the dwarf's night of drinking made it easy. She ate as much of his food as she could but left the gold and valuables she found alone. She was not a thief, and more importantly she wouldn't want the dwarf to think this was a monetary arrangement.
Slipping on her pants and grabbing her satchel, she slipped out the window. She needed to find something better to do.
Something better seemed to find her as she read the anouncment. "How long has this thing been here?" she asked out loud to no one in particular.
Last edited by Spoonweaver on Wed Jun 22, 2016 10:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Master K
King Slime

Post by Master K »

"I am indeed here for the thing." Evangeline says with a smile. "I would buy something madam, but money's tight and I don't believe in keeping a tab I can't pay. Hope you don't mind terribly if I play while I bide my time."
Last edited by Master K on Wed Jun 22, 2016 10:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gizmog
Metal King Slime

Post by Gizmog »

Cece stops for a second to think it over. "Eef I cross the street, eef I try to 'ide, I look like I 'ave something to 'ide." Not wanting to look like a mark, she casually tries to stroll past.
RMSephy
Metal Slime

Post by RMSephy »

After jogging briskly over to the Unlucky Thrush, Petrol would stumble over to a table, panting lightly and reconsidering if he really needed all the things that he had stashed into his backpack. I mean, ten torches and a tinderbox? Surely the job would involve heading into the flammable parts of the Poor Quarters, but those items seemed better suited for burning it down again than for fighting the fire.

The tavern was getting rather crowded at this time, and Petrol would hop atop a stool to get a better look and to make himself look taller. Hearing the tavern keeper's inquiry, he would hop excitedly atop the stool, waving one arm about. "Ooh! Me! I'm here to fight the fire!"

"And I could really use a drink too," he adds, slumping over a table.
Willy Elektrix
Liquid Metal Slime

Post by Willy Elektrix »

Bobo wakes up on the floor of apartment. It was his roommate Gurtie's night to use the bed. Bobo stretches and yawns extremely loudly and dramatically. He makes a noisy show of exercising, scrubbing his face clean with some sand, getting dressed, and gobbling some morsels of dried pigeon meat.

When Bobo's two roommates are still asleep, he says loudly to them "Goodbye beloved friends! I go make money now. Do not ask for some later. You did not help get it!" Receiving no response, he leaves the apartment and inadvertently slams the door.

Bobo makes his way over to the Unlucky Thrush. He looks at his feet to avoid stepping in anything gross in this slum. He taps his staff on the the ground to make a jaunty rhythm.
Last edited by Willy Elektrix on Thu Jun 23, 2016 12:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
BMR
Metal King Slime

Post by BMR »

Completely disregarding any thoughts of safety, Kailyn walks up to the three, charm at the max and magic turned on.

"Greetings my friends, care to join me for breakfast, and perhaps the chance to make some gold?"

Spell Used: Thaumaturgy

Used to give his eyes that extra bishie sparkle.
Last edited by BMR on Thu Jun 23, 2016 12:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
Being from the third world, I reserve the right to speak in the third person.

Using Editor version wip 20170527 gfx_sdl+fb music_sdl
Taco Bot
Meat, Cheese, and Silicon

Post by Taco Bot »

Rasvim entered the pub just as Ms. Zest took roll. He was quite surprised by the size and diversity of the group, but decided to stick around anyway. He took a seat at a table in the corner, and eyed the others suspiciously.
Sent from my iPhone
Sazae
Red Slime

Post by Sazae »

Arcadia wakes up in her dilapidating mansion by the sound of a single bell ringing. Her maid, Cassia, woke her every morning in this way. Arcadia went downstairs. Cassia made breakfast, as she did. Breakfast had become sparse. Only one egg today, Arcadia noticed. Arcadia had planned to join this new Guild of Arcane Firefighters. It seemed like a chance to help her family's alliances with the other rival families in town. Hopefully it would also help her make back a good amount of her fortune too. Arcadia prepared all morning. She put on her armor, gathered her shield and sickle, and carried the backpack she had prepared yesterday. She said goodbye to her horse as she left. She arrived a fashionably late to see a group of vagrants. She could smell them as soon as she came in the door. The stink seemed to be visible in the air. She questioned her choice in coming and said nothing as the others chatted.
Bob the Hamster
Lord of the Slimes

Kailyn and Cece

The bald man stares transfixed by Kailyn's eyes. "You talkin to us, Lord Horns?" He asks

"Now, he's prolly talkin to that waif" says the orc woman with a smirk, pointing her thumb right at Cece

The man with the eye patch says nothing, but takes a blue plum from Kailyn's basket and sinks his teeth in nonchalantly.

At the Tavern

Sharn and Bobo both arrive as Ms Zest is counting heads.

"Alright, eight!" She says. "You all follow me"

She opens a door and leads the group up a flight of stairs.

"Here they are!" She announces cheerfully.

The room is a meeting hall, and probably also overflow space for busy nights when the downstairs room wasn't enough for all the drinkers.

Most of the tables and chairs are stacked by the walls, but at one large table in the middle of the room sits a woman she rises as the party enters.

"Thank you, Ms Zest" she says. "If any more arrive, just send them up"

Ms Zest goes back downstairs.

The woman is a tall human with a graceful build, dark skin, and long hair pulled up and back in a complex network of interlocking braids of different sizes. She is dressed as finely as a noble, but wears no signet rings, or any other jewelry of any kind.

"My name is Lady Kari, and I will be the facilitator for the new Guild of Arcane Firefighters. We will wait a few minutes in case there are others, but for now perhaps we can have some introductions?"
DM wrote:By my count, only Kailyn, Cece, and Caldon are not in the room yet
Last edited by Bob the Hamster on Thu Jun 23, 2016 2:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
BMR
Metal King Slime

Post by BMR »

Kailyn spots the "waif" the three were referring to, and moves closer to her. He drops to a knee and says:

"Fair lady, allow me to introduce myself, I am the Baron Kailyn Kandel of Temple Hill."

He then stands, puts an arm around her, he brings his cheek to hers and turns the two of them to face off towards yonder horizon with arm stretched out towards the rising sun.

"Come with me, my beauty, and together with my new brothers and sister," he indicates the three others around him, "We shall see sights unseen and have great adventures unspoken of!"

He snaps his fingers, causing the ground to tremble and the whispers in the wind to sound. He releases her, spins around and strikes a pose tilting his head back with one hand to his heart and the other off to the side as if holding a wine glass.

"Can you not feel it? The earth moves for us and the sky urges us to be together."

He breaks out of his pose and addresses all four:

"Now! It is time for us to come together, my friends, for we must be away. You three! You look lost and unsure, follow me and you shall win riches and fame! Now come all, and I shall lead you to glory! For I..." He snaps his fingers again, causing a loud thunderclap to sound. "Am Kailyn Kandel."

Spell Used: Thaumaturgy again
Last edited by BMR on Thu Jun 23, 2016 3:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
Being from the third world, I reserve the right to speak in the third person.

Using Editor version wip 20170527 gfx_sdl+fb music_sdl