Text importing woes

Ask and answer questions about making games and related topics. Unrelated topics go in that other forum.

Moderators: marionline, SDHawk

Foxley
Metal Slime

Text importing woes

Post by Foxley »

I've decided to just bite the bullet and get all of my rough draft NPC and plot dialogue inserted into the game file. But I get an error message in Custom if any of the text I paste in from Focuswriter or LibreOffice (.odt format) has non-ANSI characters, the most common being a curled single quote. If I import anyways, all the single quotes turn into the fish icon, a la the Pavender weapon in WH.

Does anyone know what type of encoding in Notepad, gedit, etc. will prevent those characters from being saved? I guess I could just do a find/replace on the file before importing too, but if there's a way to make it 'just work' that'd be even better. Thanks.
BMR
Metal King Slime

Post by BMR »

I'm not 100% sure, but couldn't you just disable curly quotes in Focuswriter or LibreOffice in favor of standard straight quotes?
Being from the third world, I reserve the right to speak in the third person.

Using Editor version wip 20170527 gfx_sdl+fb music_sdl
Foxley
Metal Slime

Post by Foxley »

Thanks for the heads up, there is indeed a Smart Quotes toggle in Focuswriter's preferences. I think this will fix the most common issue.