Walktall + three frame walking

Ask and answer questions about making games and related topics. Unrelated topics go in that other forum.

Moderators: marionline, SDHawk

Foxley
Metal Slime

Walktall + three frame walking

Post by Foxley »

Walktall is pretty well established as a script to the point where it's an unofficial engine feature, but I was wondering if anyone uses or has written any three frame walking scripts that synergize well with walktall. I'm not that familiar with them.
BMR
Metal King Slime

Post by BMR »

I'm pretty sure Feenicks has accomplished this, might want to ask him about it.
Being from the third world, I reserve the right to speak in the third person.

Using Editor version wip 20170527 gfx_sdl+fb music_sdl
Feenicks
Metal Slime

Post by Feenicks »

The walktall and the 3-frame scripts on the wiki work perfectly fine together, so just go with that.
Foxley
Metal Slime

Post by Foxley »

Cool thanks, I didn't see that one before 'til I searched for it just now.

I'll try to figure out a way to make 3 walking frames and 1 standing/idle frame too. Unfortunately it seems the current workaround is to do an each-step script to set characters to a frame when they're not moving, but that wouldn't work for NPCs since they don't trigger each-step scripts. I'll have to see how it goes.
TMC
Metal King Slime

Post by TMC »

I see you're referring to this script. Unfortunately there's no equivalent for NPCs. If you do try to script it, you will end up with a one-tick delay when an NPC starts to move when they will still have the standing frame. It probably won't look very good, but you can try it. It's as simple as looping over all NPCs each tick and checking "npc is walking" then calling "alternpc" followed by "embiggen npc" to change to the right sprites.

This is something that requires engine support to do properly (and it's not a matter of adding each-step triggers for NPCs). Hopefully in the not-too-distant future.
Last edited by TMC on Sun May 01, 2016 7:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
Foxley
Metal Slime

Post by Foxley »

I see, that's good to know. I did see "npc is walking" in the documentation and thought I might try something, but if it's as you say and there's no good way to do it yet, then for the time being I might just do something like prioritize making hero animations look good and not care so much about NPCs.