Using Extra Hits for chain logic, how safe is it?

Ask and answer questions about making games and related topics. Unrelated topics go in that other forum.

Moderators: marionline, SDHawk

Foxley
Metal Slime

Using Extra Hits for chain logic, how safe is it?

Post by Foxley »

While mulling over a system of managing learnable techniques in battle, I thought of turning on "Ignore attacker's extra hits" for every single attack in the game, hiding the stat from the Status screen, and using it in lieu of checking the hero's experience level, since that's not a parameter.

Will there be any weird, unforeseen consequences for giving my heroes "Extra Hits" if I just disable it for everything?
TMC
Metal King Slime

Post by TMC »

There's an easier way: just turn on the "Attacks will ignore extra hits stat" general pref bitset. It's equivalent to setting that bit on all attacks. Note that neither of those affect the attack's "Number of hits" setting.

The Hits stat is only used for that one thing, so it should then be safe to use that stat for something else.

Hmm, attack chains conditioned on attack level... interesting idea!
Last edited by TMC on Fri Apr 08, 2016 10:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
Foxley
Metal Slime

Post by Foxley »

Sweet, thank you. Don't know how I missed that.

I do have a question about stat growth for heroes, though. Let's say I have 50 as a maximum experience level, in the stat growth menu the columns are Level 0 and Level 99. Is the Level 99 part literal, or does it mean whatever you set as the maximum?
TMC
Metal King Slime

Post by TMC »

It's the stats at level 99.
Foxley
Metal Slime

Post by Foxley »

Ahh, I see. This does put a wrench in my plans, because the maximum that Extra Hits could become would be 5 at level 50, which doesn't leave a lot of wiggle room. I'll see if I can make do, though.

It's odd, though, that the maximum Extra Hits in Stat Caps is 20 but the maximum in hero stats is 10.
TMC
Metal King Slime

Post by TMC »

Oh, yes, I was meaning to change those caps. They're an artificial nuisance. We can cap the number of hits that an attack can perform instead of capping the stat. I didn't notice that the Hits cap is inconsistent.
Foxley
Metal Slime

Post by Foxley »

Oh, good! No rush on changing it, I'd only make use of it much later in development.