Battle Animations

Ask and answer questions about making games and related topics. Unrelated topics go in that other forum.

Moderators: marionline, SDHawk

TMC
Metal King Slime

Post by TMC »

It's in the Backwards-compatibility Bitsets menu in the general data menu; "Old attack positioning at bottom-left of target"
Willy Elektrix
Liquid Metal Slime

Post by Willy Elektrix »

TMC wrote:It's in the Backwards-compatibility Bitsets menu in the general data menu; "Old attack positioning at bottom-left of target"
I found another bug! I upgraded to the newest nightly (from the last stable version). I disabled the above bitset (in order to center the attack animations). Now my attack animations appear behind the enemy graphic. When the "old attack position..." bitset is active, they show up in front of the enemy graphic (like they should), but in the bottom left corner of the graphic.
Last edited by Willy Elektrix on Thu Jan 21, 2016 1:31 am, edited 2 times in total.
TMC
Metal King Slime

Post by TMC »

Whoops, I guess I didn't see that because I didn't test with all enemy sizes.
Willy Elektrix
Liquid Metal Slime

Post by Willy Elektrix »

You fixed that bug in record time. Wow! Thanks!
TMC
Metal King Slime

Post by TMC »

Hahaha. I haven't done anything; I haven't even checked that I can reproduce it. I was hoping James would fix it. (He hasn't.)
Last edited by TMC on Sun Jan 24, 2016 9:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bob the Hamster
Lord of the Slimes

Post by Bob the Hamster »

I haven't had time yet either, sorry :)
Willy Elektrix
Liquid Metal Slime

Post by Willy Elektrix »

TMC wrote:Hahaha. I haven't done anything; I haven't even checked that I can reproduce it. I was hoping James would fix it. (He hasn't.)
That's weird. Then this bug is inconsistent. It seems to be working now. I will experiment more with it tonight or tomorrow. I'll let you know what I find.
TMC
Metal King Slime

Post by TMC »

Don't spend too much time on that. Looking at the code I wrote again, I can see it's wrong because the Z value for the attack animation isn't set, which will certainly be needed for centred attack animations on large enemies. I don't quite understand how Z values are being used elsewhere in the animation code, though. I'll look into it again when I have time.
Willy Elektrix
Liquid Metal Slime

Post by Willy Elektrix »

This bug is definitely consistent. The reason it stopped happening was because I had the "old attack animation position" bitset on. If that bitset is deactivated (like it should be), the attack animation appears behind the enemy every time.
Willy Elektrix
Liquid Metal Slime

Post by Willy Elektrix »

Willy Elektrix wrote:This bug is definitely consistent. The reason it stopped happening was because I had the "old attack animation position" bitset on. If that bitset is deactivated (like it should be), the attack animation appears behind the enemy every time.
TMC: Did this bug ever get sorted out? Let me know, because I'll update to the newest nightly if it does.

Same with the bug where the GAME.EXE screen opens off center.

I'm getting ready for the first full-scale release (outside of the community) for Void Pyramid. I want to eliminate as many bugs as possible.

As always, thanks for you help!
TMC
Metal King Slime

Post by TMC »

The off-centre window bug is fixed, the attacks appearing behind enemies isn't. But it is one of the few remaining points on my Callipygous TODO list. (And I'm the one guilty of holding it up.) I'm planning to finish everything in the next couple days, because I've got other things to do.
Last edited by TMC on Thu Mar 17, 2016 9:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
TMC
Metal King Slime

Post by TMC »

Fixed.

Combined with the earlier changes, there have been significant changes to the attack animation code, so it's one thing we'll ask people to pay attention to as they test the release.