Volume slider only affects music?

Ask and answer questions about making games and related topics. Unrelated topics go in that other forum.

Moderators: marionline, SDHawk

splendidland
Red Slime

Volume slider only affects music?

Post by splendidland »

This seems to be just an issue with the engine, but I'm sure I remember it working differently before. (though maybe my memory on that is fuzzy?)
Currently when you alter the volume slider in game, it only changes the volume of music, but sound effects aren't affected at all, which creates some issues in my game for segments where i've synced music and sound effects.

Is this something that is able to be fixed? (or even having the possibility to have separate sliders for sound effects and music volume?)

-Samanthuel
TMC
Metal King Slime

Post by TMC »

It's true, this is a horrible deficiency in the engine. There's also the issue that the volume for music defaults to 50%, while sound effects is stuck at 100%. Plus, the volume slider may or may not work for MIDI music, depending on which OS you're using.

I think that sound effects volume has always worked this way, though I'm not sure whether it was due to problems with the audio backend, or just an oversight. I'm not sure how to go about fixing it - should sound effects always be twice as loud as music (capped to 100% out of necessity), in case people adjusted the volume of their sound effects to compensate (which seems pretty likely)? Should we just make sound and music volumes equal (so sound effects are twice as loud as before)? Can we add a "sound effects volume" option below the existing volume slider, in any menu where the volume slider occurs? There's a slim chance that will break someone's script.

It's mainly a matter of deciding what to do about it; I had a look before and decided fixing it (aside from problems with MIDI) is not hard.
Mogri
Super Slime

Post by Mogri »

We really need a separate volume slider for sound effects.