Issues with Control+C, Control+V, etc. for OHRRPGCE on Mac

Ask and answer questions about making games and related topics. Unrelated topics go in that other forum.

Moderators: marionline, SDHawk

RebirthCrusader
Slime

Issues with Control+C, Control+V, etc. for OHRRPGCE on Mac

Post by RebirthCrusader »

Hey guys, I recently downloaded OHRRPGCE for Mac OS X and I'm currently trying to duplicate maptiles. The tutorial I'm looking at here says that I can use Control+C, Control+V, Control+T to duplicate my tiles as I want, but when I do so, nothing happens. I fumbled around with this for about an hour, thinking maybe I had some kind of weird keyboard shortcut, but I can't seem to figure it out.

If I can't do this, I'm assuming a bunch of other control commands aren't going to work when I want them to as well. Is there any explanation for this? I found a similar topic from 2 years ago and thought about bumping it, but decided against it since the issue wasn't resolved in it either; it just suddenly started working for him.

I'm at a loss of what to do, and any help would be much appreciated. :)
Last edited by RebirthCrusader on Sun Dec 27, 2015 8:02 am, edited 5 times in total.
kylekrack
Liquid Metal Slime

Post by kylekrack »

It's working fine for me, OS X 10.9. What version of the OHR are you running? Are you using the latest nightly version, or are you using the last 'stable' version, Beelzebufo? I just tried it in both and it's working fine.

All I can say is you may not be in the right menu or pushing the right key, although if you've spent that much time trying to figure it out, I'm sure you've tried that already.
My pronouns are they/them
Ps. I love my wife
TMC
Metal King Slime

Post by TMC »

Hello!
It might be the case that OSX is intercepting Ctrl-C (and if it does that, then Ctrl+V/T will have no effect), or it might be a problem with Ctrl in general.

You could try downloading inputtest.rpg to confirm which key combinations are or aren't working. Could you check whether combinations with Ctrl are not working in general?
Last edited by TMC on Sun Dec 27, 2015 8:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
RebirthCrusader
Slime

Thanks for the responses!

I'm using the Beelzebufo version of OHR, to answer kylekrack's question. I also downloaded the input tester that TMC provided (thanks for that), and it seems to be inputting control commands correctly, which is all the more frustrating. After testing it out I loaded up my own game data, and tried going back to the tile I want and hitting control+c and then going over to an empty tile and doing that again, but nothing's happening.

I attached a screenshot to this post just to confirm which screen I'm on, or if I'm just doing something stupid.
Attachments
Screen Shot 2015-12-27 at 4.14.38 AM.png
Screen Shot 2015-12-27 at 4.14.38 AM.png (657.72 KiB) Viewed 527 times
Last edited by RebirthCrusader on Sun Dec 27, 2015 9:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
RebirthCrusader
Slime

When you use these commands, do you use control+c while holding them down and then use the arrow keys to navigate, followed by pressing control+c again? On my computer, if I hold down control+c and then use the arrows, the image in my additional attachment is what happens, but I'm not sure if it's relevant or not since I'm not even sure if that's how the command ought to be inputted anyway (doesn't seem like that'd be the case).
Attachments
Screen Shot 2015-12-27 at 4.31.17 AM.png
Screen Shot 2015-12-27 at 4.31.17 AM.png (983.67 KiB) Viewed 521 times
TMC
Metal King Slime

Post by TMC »

Yes, that is the screen on which you should be able to copy tiles. It should be as simple as pressing C while Ctrl is down, then selecting any other tile and pressing Ctrl+V.

I suppose it could be possible that it only affects Custom, or only that one screen. Try typing some text into a line of a textbox, Ctrl+C, and Ctrl+V on another line (press Down to select another line) -- does that work?

Inherited from DOS, I see we also accept Ctrl+Insert or Shift+Delete instead of Ctrl+C, and Shift+Insert instead of Ctrl+V. I realise Mac keyboards may not have an insert key, and I'm not clear what key combination is need to simulate an insert (I saw Fn+Return suggested). Does that work?
Last edited by TMC on Sun Dec 27, 2015 9:51 am, edited 3 times in total.
TMC
Metal King Slime

Post by TMC »

(Just saw your second post)

Wait, that looks like the screen that shows all the windows you have open belonging to a certain application, or all the applications open. That is certainly not meant to happen - if OS X's window manager reacts in any way, that means it intercepted the key press. I don't think that's a standard key combination, though. You can disable any such key combinations in the System Settings. I think if you open System Settings you might actually be able to search for "ctrl-c"; otherwise just search for "keyboard shortcuts".
RebirthCrusader
Slime

...Almost as mysteriously as the topic I linked in the OP, everything is in working order and I can move on to more difficult things. I'm not really going to question it, since it's working right now. Although it's almost a little more frustrating to me that it's working now without an explanation rather than it NOT working without an explanation. On the bright side, I got to realize that people on this forum are pretty good at trying to help, so I'm sure I'll be back. :P

Eitherway, I disabled a large majority of my shortcuts for preventative measures.

Thanks again. :)
Last edited by RebirthCrusader on Sun Dec 27, 2015 9:57 am, edited 2 times in total.
TMC
Metal King Slime

Post by TMC »

Yikes!

Yes, we're happy to help.

Having another look at that other thread I just realised that they had the problem on exactly the same screen as you (and were using the same version). That would seem there is a real problem there!
kylekrack
Liquid Metal Slime

Post by kylekrack »

I have discovered that Mac's Spaces and Mission Control shortcuts get in the way from time to time. For example, while tweaking wallmaps, pushing control and a direction will put a wall in only one direction of a tile, rather than all four. Unfortunately, control+left or right also switched between spaces for me, so I had to rebind it. You might want to do the same if you have the same key binding.

Mac's have some great fancy features, but sometimes they really just aren't helpful.
My pronouns are they/them
Ps. I love my wife
TMC
Metal King Slime

Post by TMC »

Spaces can very useful... I've strangely never used them, but I use the equivalent feature in KDE (Linux/X11) very heavily.

But yes, mapping Ctrl+left/right was annoying. Aside from that the shortcut I found most annoying on Mac was Ctrl+F5 (or was it Shift+F5?) to turn on the speech synthesizer!