I can't unlump my game!

Ask and answer questions about making games and related topics. Unrelated topics go in that other forum.

Moderators: marionline, SDHawk

AzureGames
Red Slime

Post by AzureGames »

It says my RPG file is 8,417 KB. Now what?
TMC
Metal King Slime

Post by TMC »

OK. We're going to need to see the .rpg file itself to make any sense of this. If you email or PM me your .rpg file then I will try to recover some data from it. (You can attach files to private messages on these forums.) However it does seem likely that at least part of the .rpg file has been destroyed. It would also be useful to send/upload c_debug_archive.txt if it exists, it might give a clue as to what happened.
Last edited by TMC on Mon Nov 02, 2015 8:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
AzureGames
Red Slime

Post by AzureGames »

Okay, so how can I PM you my game?
TMC
Metal King Slime

Post by TMC »

Put it in a zip file. Click the "send a PM" button next to my name. At the bottom of the PM screen you have to click the 'Browse' button and then the 'Add Attachment' button.
AzureGames
Red Slime

Post by AzureGames »

Hey, uh... How will I be able to know that you fixed my game? :???:
Gizmog
Metal King Slime

Post by Gizmog »

Presumably they'll either fix it and send it back to you, or they'll tell you they were unable to fix it?
AzureGames
Red Slime

Post by AzureGames »

How? Via email?
Gizmog
Metal King Slime

Post by Gizmog »

I would assume via the same Private Messages you sent them the game with? Seriously, think about it a little.
AzureGames
Red Slime

Post by AzureGames »

Hey, I'm new to this. I was only guessing. I wouldn't have known.
Sparoku
Metal Slime

Post by Sparoku »

Welcome to the O.H.R.RPG.C.E. and Slime Salad, then.

Sorry that your first crack at the engine is giving you this issue. But there is a good thing about this happening. Now the devs know there is a bug somewhere and will (hopefully) be able to find and fix it! :)
"One can never improve enough nor should one stop trying to improve."
TMC
Metal King Slime

Post by TMC »

I PMed the game back to you.

What happened was that the end of the file got blanked out with zeroes. You were extremely lucky that even though apparently nearly half the file was zeroed out, it only destroyed a single music file plus a couple unimportant data files that you might have never edited anyway. Actually I have never seen anyone get so lucky :) From now on, keep backups!

I've seen this sort of thing a couple of times before, and as far as I can guess it's most likely because your computer crashed before it could finish writing the file to your harddisk, or maybe you pulled out a USB flash drive without safely ejecting it. It definitely wasn't an engine bug.