Foemaps

Ask and answer questions about making games and related topics. Unrelated topics go in that other forum.

Moderators: marionline, SDHawk

Willy Elektrix
Liquid Metal Slime

Foemaps

Post by Willy Elektrix »

I would like some details about how foemaps work. For instance, there is a foemap in a room. Every tile has random encounters every 7-12 steps, except for one single tile. If the player steps on that tile, and then back onto another tile where encounters are possible, does the 7-12 step counter reset?

Likewise, does the step counter reset if they move onto a tile with more or less frequent encounters?
sheamkennedy
Liquid Metal Slime

Post by sheamkennedy »

The way I understand it is 7-12 step frequency means that when you've stepped on that particular tile approximately 7-12 times then a battle will likely occur on that tile. Each tile has a frequency which is associated with the probability of having a battle there. Since the battles are probability based then it means that 7-12 is just an estimate of when a battle should occur, in reality it could occur after stepping on the tile twice, or stepping on it 15 times. All the tiles probabilities are independent. If you step on a tile with no frequency for a battle to occur then nothing happens, but I don't think this resets any other tile's probabilities since all tiles are independent.

I'd wait to hear back from someone else though in case I'm wrong since I don't use foemaps a whole lot.
⊕ P E R S O N A L M U S I C: https://open.spotify.com/album/6fEo3fCm5C3XhtFRflfANr
� C O L L A B M U S I C: https://dustpuppets.bandcamp.com/releases
Nathan Karr
Liquid Metal Slime

Post by Nathan Karr »

I think the encounter chance is supposed to go up after each time an encounter fails to occur, but reset once a fight actually happens. I don't know how it carries over between formation sets if at all, whether it tracks the bonus chance by set, by base probability, keeps the bonus flat between different formation sets, or resets every time you enter a new foemap.
Remeber: God made you special and he loves you very much. Bye!
TMC
Metal King Slime

Post by TMC »

There is nothing that resets the random encounter countdown except for a random battle occurring. Even saving and reloading the game does not reset it.

All battle formation sets share a single countdown. So one way to 'farm' extremely rare battles is to walk around in areas with common battles until just before a battle occurs, and then go to the area with rare battles.
sheamkennedy wrote:The way I understand it is 7-12 step frequency means that when you've stepped on that particular tile approximately 7-12 times then a battle will likely occur on that tile.
No, it's not an estimate, 7-12 step frequency means precisely at most 12 tiles and at least 7 tiles between battles.

I posted the actual (very simple) implementation of the battle countdown here.
Last edited by TMC on Thu Oct 08, 2015 10:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
Willy Elektrix
Liquid Metal Slime

Post by Willy Elektrix »

TMC wrote:There is nothing that resets the random encounter countdown except for a random battle occurring. Even saving and reloading the game does not reset it.

All battle formation sets share a single countdown. So one way to 'farm' extremely rare battles is to walk around in areas with common battles until just before a battle occurs, and then go to the area with rare battles.
This is good news. This works very ideally for my game.
TMC
Metal King Slime

Post by TMC »

Oh, whoops. I decided to double check and discovered I was wrong on one point. Although the countdown is saved in saved games, it's reset (to random(40,160)) when you change map, trigger a battle with a script or textbox, or (surprisingly) dismount a vehicle.

We could always add a script command to get/set the countdown, which would allow you to override this behaviour.
Last edited by TMC on Fri Oct 09, 2015 8:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
Willy Elektrix
Liquid Metal Slime

Post by Willy Elektrix »

TMC wrote:Oh, whoops. I decided to double check and discovered I was wrong on one point. Although the countdown is saved in saved games, it's reset (to random(40,160)) when you change map, trigger a battle with a script or textbox, or (surprisingly) dismount a vehicle.
I actually just came on here to post that it reset when you switched maps.

Thanks for clarifying!