Can't get OHRRPGCE to work??

Ask and answer questions about making games and related topics. Unrelated topics go in that other forum.

Moderators: marionline, SDHawk

CedricTheAwesome
Slime

Can't get OHRRPGCE to work??

Post by CedricTheAwesome »

ok, so I downloaded OHRRPGCE and installed it, but whenever I try to open the game creation app my computer freezes. I've done this at least six times and I've deleted and re-installed it twice. WHAT SHOULD I DO??? It even freezes when no other apps are running. please help
BMR
Metal King Slime

Post by BMR »

Could you provide some other info? Like what OS you're running, which file/where you downloaded it, when it freezes, etc...
Being from the third world, I reserve the right to speak in the third person.

Using Editor version wip 20170527 gfx_sdl+fb music_sdl
CedricTheAwesome
Slime

right. I'm running Windows XP Proffesional on a 2006 HP. I downloaded the "win-installer" three times from two different websites and ran it. It installed just find every time, but whenever I try to open the editor, the editor pops up with a nonsensical, glitchy pixel display, and then my computer freezes. Actually, the very first time I ran it I was able to create an RPG and name it, and then my computer froze.
BMR
Metal King Slime

Post by BMR »

Which websites did you download it from? This is the official place to get it.
Being from the third world, I reserve the right to speak in the third person.

Using Editor version wip 20170527 gfx_sdl+fb music_sdl
CedricTheAwesome
Slime

I did get it from there the first two times I downloaded it.
Bob the Hamster
Lord of the Slimes

Post by Bob the Hamster »

Browse to C:\ohrrpgce\ and look for the file named gfx_direct.dll

Rename it to gfx_directx_backup.dll

Then try to run the OHRRPGCE Custom editor again, and see if it works.
CedricTheAwesome
Slime

Thank you! That solved my problem.
Bob the Hamster
Lord of the Slimes

Post by Bob the Hamster »

Ah, very interesting.

That means that the probelm was with the DirectX backend. When you renamed that file, it caused the engine to fall back to the SDL backend

I am curious if you have seen similar problems with other games that use DIrectX? Does the dxdiag program work okay on your computer? (Start menu -> Run -> dxdiag) I would be curious to know what version of DirectX is installed.
CedricTheAwesome
Slime

yes, dxdiag does work, but whenever I run it it keeps telling me that there's a problem with the directx and I need to bypass something(e.g., system information). I have directx version 9.0c.
TMC
Metal King Slime

Post by TMC »

Could you provide the error message that dxdiag gives you?

In dxdiag when you click on the Display tab you will see buttons to test DirectDraw and Direct3D. Do they work when you test them? Or anything interesting in the 'Notes' section (or on the Drivers tab)? It sounds like DirectX is broken on your system.
CedricTheAwesome
Slime

Here's one of the error messages verbatim: "Dxdiag has detected that there may have been a problem accessing Direct3D the last time the program was used. Would you like to bypass Direct3D this time?"

here's another: "Dxdiag has detected that there may have been a problem accessing DirectInput the last time this program was used. Would you like to bypass DirectInput this time?"

here's another: "Dxdiag has detected that there may have been a problem accessing the system information the last time this program was used. Would you like to bypass the system information this time?"
CedricTheAwesome
Slime

and TMC: I was able to test DirectDraw and it worked, but it did not allow me to test Direct3D.
TMC
Metal King Slime

Post by TMC »

Hmm, odd. If DirectDraw worked but Direct3D didn't, I'd say there's something wrong with your graphics driver. Note that Windows ships with built-in graphics drivers for pretty much everything, but that isn't the same as the official driver from the manufacturer (AMD, nVidia, or Intel); have at look at their website. Problems will often be fixed by installing the official driver... or introduced.
CedricTheAwesome
Slime

where can I go to get an HP graphics driver and where should I install it to?
Foxley
Metal Slime

Post by Foxley »