Joystick/Gamepad Support

Ask and answer questions about making games and related topics. Unrelated topics go in that other forum.

Moderators: marionline, SDHawk

Meatballsub
Liquid Metal Slime

Joystick/Gamepad Support

Post by Meatballsub »

I know that if you press CTRL+J in-game, it shows a calibration menu for most USB gamepads, but is there a way to fine tune it even more? It seems that the implementation is spotty at best, as I can't figure out how to run in combat with a gamepad. There may be other things that don't work right, but that is one I noticed immediately.
Bob the Hamster
Lord of the Slimes

Re: Joystick/Gamepad Support

Post by Bob the Hamster »

Meatballsub wrote:I know that if you press CTRL+J in-game, it shows a calibration menu for most USB gamepads, but is there a way to fine tune it even more? It seems that the implementation is spotty at best, as I can't figure out how to run in combat with a gamepad. There may be other things that don't work right, but that is one I noticed immediately.
I could have sworn that I deleted the CTRL+J calibration thing years ago... *checks*

Dang, that does still exist! It was important in the DOS days, but I am pretty sure it can do nothing but harm in the current versions.

The joystick support on android is quite solid, and works purely through remapping gamepad buttons to keyboard keys in the "Platform Specific Options", but on all other platforms, Windows, Mac, Linux, the gamepad support is very feeble.

The issue of not being able to run with a gamepad in battle is probably unfixable from your end-- that will have to be fixed with an engine update.
Meatballsub
Liquid Metal Slime

Post by Meatballsub »

No problem! Luckily I've found a solution that works great, at least in Windows.

It's called JoyToKey, and it effortlessly allows you to set up a gamepad for OHRRPGCE games. I don't know how many types of pads it supports, but I imagine most would work just fine.

http://joytokey.net/en/