Macabre

Make games! Discuss those games here.

Moderators: Bob the Hamster, marionline, SDHawk

Willy Elektrix
Liquid Metal Slime

Post by Willy Elektrix »

I started playing this tonight. I'm about 1 hour in at the slime people village. It's really good! The fast pacing is really keeping me interested. The level up system is different in a clever sort of way.

However...

I found a few bugs. I found 2 chests in house in the slime people village that seem strange. They play the treasure sound, but the loot message does not appear at the bottom of the screen. Maybe this happens other places too, but this is the first I've noticed it.

Also, the animation for descending up and down the well into the slime people village is really confusing. Several setups away from the actual chute on either side, all the heroes turn into dust clouds and are sucked in. Is this a bug? What is supposed to be happening here?
Meatballsub
Liquid Metal Slime

Post by Meatballsub »

Great to hear man :)

I think I know what the chest deal is, and I believe it has to do with the way the loot script works. Occasionally, if you time two chest openings back to back, the string has a slight chance of clearing the instant you loot the object. While I was never able to figure out a permanent way to fix that, I can assure you that any time you hear that sound, you will get loot (regardless of if you see the "you looted" string or not).

As for the animation, that is definitely intended (though perhaps there was a better way to portray my idea with it in retrospect). The behavior is somewhat explained in the story, when you pick up the phasing device after defeating the Mazosvire. The device is a creation of the Glueps, according to the first Gluep you meet just outside the village after the boss fight.
Willy Elektrix
Liquid Metal Slime

Post by Willy Elektrix »

There are 2 bad wallmap tiles in this room of the bandit fortress. See the attached screenshot.

Also, will there be a way to know when I have earned all of a character's abilities? Whenever I am fighting an easy battle, I try to use the newest abilities so I can earn more, but sometimes I wonder if I might have earned most of them by now. Perhaps there could be a complete ability list available in-game?

For the record, I think Fred's ability that hits all the enemies (holy based on INT) is way too powerful and is earned way too early. I use it almost exclusively and it kills most random encounters in one hit. With the right accessory, it only costs 1 mastery as well.
Attachments
badwallmap.bmp
badwallmap.bmp (63.55 KiB) Viewed 5357 times
Meatballsub
Liquid Metal Slime

Post by Meatballsub »

Thanks for pointing out the map issue. I'll fix it in the next update.

Ability paths should be fully explained in the in-game manual.

I kind of wondered about Exorcism, especially when people build Fred INT-based. Is that what you're doing as well? I may tone it down some in the next update.

As for the 1 mastery accessory, I'm not too concerned about that as its a super rare item to come across.
Bob the Hamster
Lord of the Slimes

Post by Bob the Hamster »

Is there some special trick to learning Chip's Celestial attacks?

I have almost all the other learning trees completely finished (and I have all of Alan's abilities) but I haven't learned any celestial attacks past Traject, in spite of using it as often as I possibly can.

Is the next celestial attack learned from a plot-event? Or am I just really unlucky with it?
Meatballsub
Liquid Metal Slime

Post by Meatballsub »

Bob the Hamster wrote:Is there some special trick to learning Chip's Celestial attacks?

I have almost all the other learning trees completely finished (and I have all of Alan's abilities) but I haven't learned any celestial attacks past Traject, in spite of using it as often as I possibly can.

Is the next celestial attack learned from a plot-event? Or am I just really unlucky with it?
Nope, there should be a 20% chance to learn the next ability (Astral Fire I believe) from Traject. You're just having bad luck unfortunately :(
Bob the Hamster
Lord of the Slimes

Meatballsub wrote:Nope, there should be a 20% chance to learn the next ability (Astral Fire I believe) from Traject. You're just having bad luck unfortunately :(
Wow! 20%? I have definitely used Traject more than 30 times, maybe even more than 40 times.

My chances of failing to learn it in that many tries are much less than 1%

However, I examined the chain in the attack editor, and I examined the tags in my save file, and I guess it just is really bad luck.

If I believed in karmic balance I would say it is compensation for getting the Fury Relic so early in the game ;)

EDIT: After posting this, it took me exactly 3 more tries with Traject, and then I learned Astral Fire :)
Last edited by Bob the Hamster on Wed Jul 01, 2015 4:24 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Willy Elektrix
Liquid Metal Slime

Post by Willy Elektrix »

Meatballsub wrote:I kind of wondered about Exorcism, especially when people build Fred INT-based. Is that what you're doing as well? I may tone it down some in the next update.
I raise Defense half the time and Int half the time.
Meatballsub wrote:As for the 1 mastery accessory, I'm not too concerned about that as its a super rare item to come across.
I have 2 of them and I just got to the south continent.
Meatballsub
Liquid Metal Slime

Post by Meatballsub »

I'll probably adjust Exorcism slightly then.

And you have to be the luckiest person to play yet. I haven't gotten two in one playthrough myself, and I've played at least a couple dozen times. But if I keep hearing about people like you and James, I may adjust its rarity slightly.
Willy Elektrix
Liquid Metal Slime

Post by Willy Elektrix »

Attached is a screen shot of a bug.

There is a quest to get some rocks from this mountain to make tombstones. I found all 3 rocks. However, the quest didn't prompt me that it was over until after I walked a few more steps completed a battle after collecting the rocks.

The screen shot shows the announcement that the quest is over, but you will notice that I am at least 10 or so steps away from the last rock.

Also, I just got the recipe for Fred's Bane sword and then made a high quality version of it. I'm crushing this game.
Attachments
ruinquest.bmp
ruinquest.bmp (63.55 KiB) Viewed 5317 times
Last edited by Willy Elektrix on Thu Jul 02, 2015 3:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
Meatballsub
Liquid Metal Slime

Post by Meatballsub »

Good finds. The latest updates and fixes are being uploaded as I type this.

And oh my gosh, you were right about Fred's Exorcism spell. For some reason, I put 150% extra damage instead of 50%. That is why it was so OP.

This update includes fixes for all of the things you mentioned, plus:

- Fury and Scholar relic rarity adjusted slightly
- Fixed error in final bosses' stats that could make him easier than intended
Willy Elektrix
Liquid Metal Slime

Post by Willy Elektrix »

I win!

Check out this weird bug I found on the Flesh Gigas. At some point, after I killed his head and one of his arms, I noticed that he had another arm on top of his head. See the screenshot for further information.

Also, when you are infiltrating the the mansion, one of your allies opens a door in a cave wall. This door leads into the mansion prison. However, if you walk away from this door and fight a battle, the door disappears (although you can still use it). This is probably because you use a "change NPC picture" command (or whatever it is called). Instead, you should use a tag that makes the door appear.

Also, you can check out my stats if you want. It took 5 hours and 30 minutes. My characters were all level 18 and 19.

What's the Fury Relic do? I never found it.
Attachments
ruingigasbug.bmp
ruingigasbug.bmp (63.55 KiB) Viewed 5285 times
mystats.bmp
mystats.bmp (63.55 KiB) Viewed 5285 times
Last edited by Willy Elektrix on Fri Jul 03, 2015 3:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bob the Hamster
Lord of the Slimes

Fury Relic gives the character who equips it a random extra hit on almost all their attacks.
Meatballsub
Liquid Metal Slime

Post by Meatballsub »

Willy Elektrix wrote:I win!

Check out this weird bug I found on the Flesh Gigas. At some point, after I killed his head and one of his arms, I noticed that he had another arm on top of his head. See the screenshot for further information.

Also, when you are infiltrating the the mansion, one of your allies opens a door in a cave wall. This door leads into the mansion prison. However, if you walk away from this door and fight a battle, the door disappears (although you can still use it). This is probably because you use a "change NPC picture" command (or whatever it is called). Instead, you should use a tag that makes the door appear.

Also, you can check out my stats if you want. It took 5 hours and 30 minutes. My characters were all level 18 and 19.

What's the Fury Relic do? I never found it.
Wow at the time! Congrats on the finish!

I'll look into both of those issues for the next update.
Meatballsub
Liquid Metal Slime

Post by Meatballsub »

After some fairly aggressive marketing and a lot of luck, Ruin was Greenlit in 30 days! I seriously never thought in a million years it would happen!

Having said that, I would like to give anyone with an active account here a free steam key once it's published. Because of it being Greenlit, I will be taking down the full version of the game and replacing it with a demo within the coming days. But again, any of you guys that would like a free key or a full non-steam release just ask.
Last edited by Meatballsub on Sat Jul 04, 2015 2:27 am, edited 1 time in total.