Fake Scripting in Turn-Based Battles?

Ask and answer questions about making games and related topics. Unrelated topics go in that other forum.

Moderators: marionline, SDHawk

eaagvark
Slime

Fake Scripting in Turn-Based Battles?

Post by eaagvark »

If I understand correctly, there still isn't a way to do in-battle scripting with the OHRRPGCE. I know that you can use invisible enemies that kill themselves to display captions as a sort of work-around (i.e. to generate a series of captions as an in-battle conversation), but I imagine that this can't be done with the turn-based battles? At least not until the heroes have already given their orders for the first turn (which would be much less epic)?

Alternatively, is there any way to simply flash in/out of battle, rather than the default fade transition? If so, I could make a backdrop or map look the same as the battle, script whatever I want, and then seamlessly transition into the actual battle...

(Side note: I assume that when you are giving 'orders' to your party at the beginning of a round in the turn-based mode, you can press escape to go back to the previous person and change things?)
Bob the Hamster
Lord of the Slimes

Post by Bob the Hamster »

I think that method could me made to work in turn based battle.

Right now there is not yet a way to give the enemies a pre-emptive turn before the heroes choose their first attacks, but if you need it for a game, I think I can get a feature like that added.

As for overriding/disabling the fade into battle, yes, that would probably be even easier.

And yes, when you are in turn-based mode, you do indeed have the option of pressing ESC to go back to previous heroes in the team just as you described.
kylekrack
Liquid Metal Slime

Post by kylekrack »

In the meantime, what if you did that same thing, but used the fade in to your advantage by adding a kind of accent to the end of the conversation. Like if the conversation goes on and then the heroes yell some kind of battle cry or use some kind of opening move that makes a big flash of light (screen turning white) and play a sound effect and update the music to make it more cinematic.
My pronouns are they/them
Ps. I love my wife
eaagvark
Slime

Post by eaagvark »

True, the fade could probably be written in to the conversation somehow, but I don't think there's any way to change the fade colour/speed/etc.

I think these answers are good enough for me now. I'm only still thinking about my game, so I don't need these features anytime soon, but it's good to know that they would be easy additions.