Macabre

Make games! Discuss those games here.

Moderators: Bob the Hamster, marionline, SDHawk

Meatballsub
Liquid Metal Slime

Post by Meatballsub »

Thanks guys. Looking forward to having this finally done!
Meatballsub
Liquid Metal Slime

Post by Meatballsub »

I'm pleased to announce that Ruin is now complete.

There are a few minor things left to do, but for the most part it is ready for internal testing.

I suspect that internal testing will take at least a couple weeks. During that time, I'm going to create a trailer for the game. It may not be as great as Motrya's, but it will at least give you an idea of what to expect in the game.

Once internal testing is done, I will be seeking a couple of individuals to test it externally. Volunteers would be much appreciated (and you will be forever engraved in the game's credits for your efforts!) Hit me up on this thread or via a private message if you are interested in testing it out soon.

Lastly, I've decided that Ruin is going to be 100% free on PC/Mac. The end-game credits suggest a donation if you enjoyed the game, but nothing more than that.

I do plan to release this on Android, which will be at the $.99 that everyone else does. I also plan to try and get it greenlit at some point in the future, but I'm not holding my breath on that.

This has been a crazy road for me. Just under four years ago, I set out to make some "changes" to The Omega after SDHawk's livestream. Little did I know that four years later, I'd have a product in front of me completely different than the original game, and something that I'm super proud of finishing (finally).

Looking forward to you guys checking it out (soon) :)
TMC
Metal King Slime

Post by TMC »

What?

Oh, you're not joking.

This is surely the first time I've ever seen someone claim they need just two more months to finish a game stuck in development purgatory for endless years, and then actually do it in just one week, instead of never. Incredible.

I better not commit to anything a whole two weeks in the future. So: I might consider playtesting.
Meatballsub
Liquid Metal Slime

Post by Meatballsub »

Dude, tell me about it. I surprised myself on this one.

But I worked feverishly on it for about five days, one of those for at least 12 hours. Several things fell into place faster than expected, so it didn't take quite as long to finish as originally anticipated.

I'm currently in the process of re-working some of the attacks, and adding the last couple achievements. Once that is complete (hopefully by end of day today), I'll start my first play through for testing purposes.
Bob the Hamster
Lord of the Slimes

Post by Bob the Hamster »

Yay!

Let me know when you are ready for me to start working on the Android packaging for you.

http://rpg.hamsterrepublic.com/ohrrpgce ... id_For_You
Meatballsub
Liquid Metal Slime

Post by Meatballsub »

Will do, James. I'll probably leave it on PC for a couple weeks to ensure there aren't any major bugs that need to be fixed before moving to Android.

Speaking of, how difficult is it to push updates to the android version of the game? Is that something I will have to do through you as well?
Foxley
Metal Slime

Post by Foxley »

I'd love to playtest.

Also congrats on seeing a major project through to completion, I hope that I resolve to finish my current game project even if it takes 2-4 years. Currently hoping to have it all done by Fall 2016 though, and a 1-2 hour demo done by mid summer.
Bob the Hamster
Lord of the Slimes

Post by Bob the Hamster »

Fortunately I can rebuild updates to the Android apk rather easily.
Meatballsub
Liquid Metal Slime

Post by Meatballsub »

Foxley wrote:I'd love to playtest.

Also congrats on seeing a major project through to completion, I hope that I resolve to finish my current game project even if it takes 2-4 years. Currently hoping to have it all done by Fall 2016 though, and a 1-2 hour demo done by mid summer.
Thanks. I will be sure to send you a copy when it is ready to test.
Fortunately I can rebuild updates to the Android apk rather easily.
Good news!
Meatballsub
Liquid Metal Slime

Post by Meatballsub »

I just finished my preliminary playthrough.

I fixed most issues as I was playing, but there are some changes that need to be made now that I'm finished. Once those are complete, I will do one more run through, and then it will be ready for external play testing.

Having said that, I anticipate having the game ready for testers within a day or two at most. As of right now, I only have one tester and I'd really like to have at least two to three. If any of you have interest in testing the game very soon, please let me know.
Foxley
Metal Slime

Post by Foxley »

I'm gonna be out of town 'til Monday so I'll be able to test then.
Meatballsub
Liquid Metal Slime

Post by Meatballsub »

Let me stress the fact to potential testers that I don't have a set deadline for you to complete your play test. I'd like to have it wrapped up within a few weeks, but even then I'm willing to grant more time if it is needed.

I currently have two testers lined up, but would love to have one more!
Last edited by Meatballsub on Thu May 14, 2015 3:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Meatballsub
Liquid Metal Slime

Post by Meatballsub »

Testing is going well - Ruin will definitely be released next month (June 2015).

In case you missed it, I released a trailer for Ruin a week or so ago.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XvvMMsvOe2o

Keep an eye out on that channel, as I've just started uploading some of the OST to it as well.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCttTCJ ... rBc0Ibg3ag
eaagvark
Slime

Post by eaagvark »

I started playing Ruin today and recognized the intro song (i.e. the one listed as "Distress" on the Youtube channel) as "A Minor Harpsichord" from the public domain collection at freesoundtrackmusic.com:

http://www.freesoundtrackmusic.com/exam ... music.html (should be the 4th one down)

From the game's page, I initially assumed that all the tracks would be your original compositions, but now I am wondering where the various pieces are from (although I suppose you might be the same person who uploaded the track to freesoundtrackmusic.com). Which ones are your own work? I'm not trying to trip you up here - I'm just curious, for any of my own potential games, where I might find good free-to-use music, what counts as an original soundtrack, and who I might possibly collaborate with at some point (since I am not skilled as a composer).
Meatballsub
Liquid Metal Slime

Post by Meatballsub »

No worries.

I got my tracks from various sources, so I suppose saying "original" is a bit misleading.

While a lot of them were indeed made specifically for the game, there are others that were sourced from royalty free places such as the one you listed.

If you intend to use anything like that for your own projects, be sure to read the fine print on the sites as to how to legally use them. Since my game is free everywhere, it is a bit easier than if you intend to sell your project at some point.

But yeah, just read it and be sure you know what you're getting into before using anything like that.