One-Month All-Mouse Left-Click OHRRPGCE Game Contest (2015)

Make games! Discuss those games here.

Moderators: Bob the Hamster, marionline, SDHawk

BlurredVisionGames
Slime

Post by BlurredVisionGames »

I'm cutting it real close.

Do I need to post my entry Sunday at 1159 gmt time or 1159 my time in Phoenix arizona which is gmt-7?
Bob the Hamster
Lord of the Slimes

Post by Bob the Hamster »

BlurredVisionGames wrote:I'm cutting it real close.

Do I need to post my entry Sunday at 1159 gmt time or 1159 my time in Phoenix arizona which is gmt-7?
Midnight Sunday in whatever timezone is most advantageous for you (including time zones you don't actually live in)
kylekrack
Liquid Metal Slime

Post by kylekrack »

Gimp crashed again. Ironically while I was drawing the same scene as when it crashed before. This might be a setback. :zombie:

EDIT: I'm going to eat my own foot.

EDIT EDIT: Turns out I'm not flexible enough. My foot survives another day.
Last edited by kylekrack on Sat Jun 20, 2015 10:29 pm, edited 2 times in total.
My pronouns are they/them
Ps. I love my wife
Foxley
Metal Slime

Post by Foxley »

That sucks! Feeling up to redoing something you were literally just doing takes time, in my experience. Unfortunately there's only about 36 hours worth of the stuff left. May I suggest doing just linework/shapes with flat colors and moving on, so you don't feel too stuck on it?

Also if it makes you feel better, a lot of the room scenes in my game are going to be "[ROOM NAME]" printed in the middle with little boxes for room objects, for the time being. I don't have the time or energy to draw over a dozen new scenes by tomorrow, just the scripting has already been kicking my butt enough over the past couple weeks.
kylekrack
Liquid Metal Slime

Post by kylekrack »

Yeah I redid it. Everything's fine. I have a lot of scenes that are, uh, not of the same caliber of effort as many of the others. I'll try to fix it but right now I'm more worried about the important parts.
Ps. I love my wife
BlurredVisionGames
Slime

my game lab rat works like this.

you get certain pieces per level to place on the grid. you can select them from their icon on the right.
you can then rotate that piece how you want.
then drag the piece to the grid.
then push go and the rat starts running.
if the rat hits a wall it turns left.
if it cant turn left it turns right.
if it cant turn right it turns around.

the goal is to collect the key and get to the door.
collecting the cheese is optional. i was thinking on the level select screen i would represent how many of the cheeses you were able to collect. but im not there yet. still have a couple bugs bugging me to take care of first.

Im going to get it done, just hope i make enough challenging content, ima only have about half a day to make the puzzles. :)
Attachments
initial state
initial state
LabRat0004.bmp (63.55 KiB) Viewed 6133 times
A 1 cheese solution
A 1 cheese solution
LabRat0005.bmp (63.55 KiB) Viewed 6135 times
Last edited by BlurredVisionGames on Sun Jun 21, 2015 5:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
kylekrack
Liquid Metal Slime

Post by kylekrack »

So, when your cursor turns into an up arrow when you hover over the top of the scene, it's to signify that you can move forward. But uh... You'll only see that on the first screen because for some reason it won't do it anywhere else. Moving forward is still totally functional, just bear in mind that you won't get that little arrow showing you where you can click a lot of the time and I can't figure out how to fix it.

EDIT: This is a lie I fixed it, I was just venting. Excuse my rage.
Attachments
Screen Shot 2015-06-21 at 11.43.29 AM.png
Screen Shot 2015-06-21 at 11.43.29 AM.png (25.62 KiB) Viewed 6116 times
Screen Shot 2015-06-21 at 11.42.28 AM.png
Screen Shot 2015-06-21 at 11.42.28 AM.png (13.92 KiB) Viewed 6117 times
Last edited by kylekrack on Sun Jun 21, 2015 8:21 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Ps. I love my wife
TMC
Metal King Slime

Post by TMC »

Those look great!

Are you using sliceatpixel/findcollidingslice? If so, maybe there are some slices left over from a previous screen in the same location, which are "hiding" the intended slices. (Recall that sliceatpixel/findcollidingslice return the bottom-most slice).
kylekrack
Liquid Metal Slime

Post by kylekrack »

I'm using slice collide in the main loop. If the cursor is colliding with a bar with the lookup code sli:forward, it turns it into an arrow. There's the same script (literally copy and pasted) for the backwards bar, except that one works perfectly. The forward bar functions as a clickable, so I know it's there.

EDIT: OOOOhh I'm stupid, nevermind

EDIT EDIT: It's an ordering thing, because there are two different boxes to check for, they were canceling each other out. This is going to take some trial and error.

EDIT EDIT EDIT: Got it.
Last edited by kylekrack on Sun Jun 21, 2015 8:21 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Ps. I love my wife
Foxley
Metal Slime

Post by Foxley »

I think I'm just gonna forego working on scripting GUI and mechanics stuff at this point, and just try to get some drawings and content put in so the game will hopefully be somewhat enjoyable for people to try out. Only 8 hours left!
Foxley
Metal Slime

Post by Foxley »

I was so preoccupied with working on this game that I left a frozen pizza in the oven for probably over an hour. Totally forgot about it 'til I went out of my room to use the little boy's room. Good grief. At least it didn't cause a fire.
Bob the Hamster
Lord of the Slimes

Post by Bob the Hamster »

This contest will be forever remembered as the contest where Foxley didn't quite die in a pizza fire.
Foxley
Metal Slime

Post by Foxley »

I'm gonna have to throw in the towel on implementing a few things I wanted to get done today. I'm just too tired to concentrate on getting them done in the next hour and a half. The movement system is fully working so you can at least wander around and check out the different rooms, and read some of the dumb text I put in to amuse myself. I'm just gonna iron out what bugs I can find and upload the game in a little bit before I go to bed.

Overall, I'm pretty happy with how much I got done and learned. I feel that I went from being a complete scripting idiot to ever-so-slightly competent over the past couple of weeks. Even though I didn't get as much actual gameplay done within a month as I'd hoped, the framework I have down will enable me to make a decently sized game within just a few months.

EDIT:
Also I'm pretty sure this is going to be the first time I'll put an OHRRPGCE game I made up for download. Holy crap.
Last edited by Foxley on Mon Jun 22, 2015 4:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
BlurredVisionGames
Slime

I give up you guys. every thing i fix breaks something else. im just posting what i have.

If you take too many pieces back youll get a too many npc error. about (18 pieces)
try to use the back button on the edit and help screens and something something, it locks up.
and sometimes it will go to load a level and just skip to the next level.
and then my links to levels past ten died.

but i did get ten levels that i think will stump you for a bit

thanks for the contest everyone. i had fun. looking forward to playing the new games!
BlurredVisionGames
Slime

oh and you have to collect everything in the level now because making it optional made designing levels a pain.

but you can handle it

**just sat down to play my game before i go to bed. turns out levels 4, 6, and 9 can all be beat with one less piece than whats provided.
Making puzzles is hard**
Last edited by BlurredVisionGames on Mon Jun 22, 2015 6:26 am, edited 1 time in total.