One-Month All-Mouse Left-Click OHRRPGCE Game Contest (2015)

Make games! Discuss those games here.

Moderators: Bob the Hamster, marionline, SDHawk

Bob the Hamster
Lord of the Slimes

One-Month All-Mouse Left-Click OHRRPGCE Game Contest (2015)

Post by Bob the Hamster »

EDIT: this contest has completed: voting thread is here: http://www.slimesalad.com/forum/viewtop ... 963#116963

Today is the first day of the One-Month All-Mouse Left-Click OHRRPGCE Game Contest!

The rules are simple

Use the OHRRPGCE to make a game that can be played entirely with a mouse, clicking only the left button.

Keyboard controls are allowed to exist, but they have to be optional. It should be possible to play the entire game from start to finish using only your mouse

Righ-click is allow to do things, but it has to be optional. There always has to be a way to do everything with the left mouse button.

The contest ends in one month, on June 19 2015.

Working in teams is allowed.

Multiple submissions from the same person are allowed.

The author(s) of the game voted "best" at the end of the contest will receive $10 from James, plus whatever other prizes other people volunteer in this thread.

The plotscripting commands you will need are listed here: http://hamsterrepublic.com/ohrrpgce/doc ... se%20Input
Last edited by Bob the Hamster on Mon Jun 22, 2015 2:50 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Gizmog
Metal King Slime

Post by Gizmog »

Oh man, I thought the title was ONE MONTH LEFT - MOUSE CLICK CONTEST and was wondering how the hell I had missed such a long term thing! I don't think I'm going to enter, but it's a great idea.
Mogri
Super Slime

Re: One-Month Left-Click All-Mouse OHRRPGCE Game Contest (20

Post by Mogri »

Bob the Hamster wrote:Righ-click is allow to do things, but it has to be optional. There always has to be a way to do everything with the left mouse button.
How literally should I interpret this? For example, let's say I make right-click a "cancel" button. Do I also need a left-clickable cancel, or is it good enough that a player could get through the game without ever needing to right-click?
Bob the Hamster
Lord of the Slimes

Haha! Confusion understood!

I have renamed the contest from "One-Month Left-Click All-Mouse" -> "One-Month All-Mouse Left-Click"

Mogri, your example seems like a bit of a grey area. I don't think I would disqualify a game that used right-click for cancel/back without providing a left click button to do the same, but it could definitely affect my vote, especially if being able to cancel is important for the normal flow of gameplay.

Y'all might be able to guess that "One-Month All-Mouse Left-Click OHRRPGCE Game Contest" is just another way of saying "One-Month Touchscreen OHRRPGCE Game Contest"
Mogri
Super Slime

Post by Mogri »

Bob the Hamster wrote:"One-Month Touchscreen OHRRPGCE Game Contest"
Oh! Then that lets me contextualize better.
Spoonweaver
Liquid Metal King Slime

Post by Spoonweaver »

May enter.
Working title: Kort
Attachments
Untitled.png
Untitled.png (16.2 KiB) Viewed 12890 times
BMR
Metal King Slime

Post by BMR »

Sounds fun, I might try to whip something up if I can find the time.
Being from the third world, I reserve the right to speak in the third person.

Using Editor version wip 20170527 gfx_sdl+fb music_sdl
Mogri
Super Slime

Post by Mogri »

Is there some way to detect if I'm on a touchscreen so I don't display a mouse cursor?

If I make drag & drop work on PC, will it also work on touchscreen?
Bob the Hamster
Lord of the Slimes

Mogri wrote:Is there some way to detect if I'm on a touchscreen so I don't display a mouse cursor?
You can use the <a href="http://hamsterrepublic.com/ohrrpgce/doc ... e">running on mobile</a> command
Mogri wrote:If I make drag & drop work on PC, will it also work on touchscreen?
Yes, I would expect it should work fine. I didn't have to make any changes to drag-and-drop in <a href="https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... Vocabulary Mosaic</a> in order to make it work on mobile (other than making the tiles bigger. 8x8 was too small)
Last edited by Bob the Hamster on Wed May 20, 2015 5:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TMC
Metal King Slime

Post by TMC »

I'll try to come up with a good idea for this!

But wait a minute, it seems that when playing on a touchscreen, dragging your finger over the screen would get translated either into mouse movements or mouse drags, so an interface for a PC game wouldn't necessarily work. Or does the sdl_android turn double-tap-and-drag into mouse drags? Would test it but my sdcard is mysteriously corrupt.

Also, since you can actually connect mice and keyboards to smart phones, use Android on many different types of devices, use laptops with touchscreens (e.g. the Surface), or connect a touchscreen to any PC, we should think ahead and add a separate command to test for a touchscreen interface rather than have people misuse 'running on mobile'. Even though it would currently return the same thing as we don't do any detection for touchscreens
Last edited by TMC on Wed May 20, 2015 9:20 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Foxley
Metal Slime

Post by Foxley »

Oh dear. I have some ideas I'd like to work with, but I have pretty scant plotscripting experience and absolutely no mouse plotscripting experience. Also I just got hired for a full time job after just working part time for the past several months. Chances of getting something playable by mid June would be slim.
Mogri
Super Slime

Post by Mogri »

If you have a good idea but don't know if you'll be able to execute it on your own, you should team up! I'm still in brainstorming right now -- my best idea so far is probably better as a web app.
Bob the Hamster
Lord of the Slimes

TMC wrote:But wait a minute, it seems that when playing on a touchscreen, dragging your finger over the screen would get translated either into mouse movements or mouse drags, so an interface for a PC game wouldn't necessarily work. Or does the sdl_android turn double-tap-and-drag into mouse drags? Would test it but my sdcard is mysteriously corrupt.
Drags work perfectly-- it is pointing without clicking or dragging that works poorly (or not at all) on a touch screen.
TMC wrote:Also, since you can actually connect mice and keyboards to smart phones, use Android on many different types of devices, use laptops with touchscreens (e.g. the Surface), or connect a touchscreen to any PC, we should think ahead and add a separate command to test for a touchscreen interface rather than have people misuse 'running on mobile'. Even though it would currently return the same thing as we don't do any detection for touchscreens
I suppose so. No harm in having a "has a touchscreen" command that does the same thing as "running on mobile" for now, and does better detection if/when we are capable of detecting it...

...however, too far down that path lies madness ;)
Mogri
Super Slime

Post by Mogri »

A more robust method might be to hide the mouse cursor until you detect that it's moving without the mouse button pressed.
RMZ
King Slime

Post by RMZ »

Since I've yet to finish the work on Graffiti Goose and it has yet to be released for Slime Salad, are there any objections to posting that game for this or is an existing game not made during the contest discouraged? It does operate entirely with left click only.