The 2014 In Review Contest [Reviews: 97]

Make games! Discuss those games here.

Moderators: Bob the Hamster, marionline, SDHawk

Spoonweaver
Liquid Metal King Slime

Post by Spoonweaver »

The Wobbler wrote:
Spoonweaver wrote:Of course the reviews are going to largely read as if the writer suffering through games. That's exactly what's going on. We're reviewing games that most people wouldn't even play. Thanks for catching up.

Some people are talking about how people should play the whole game before reviewing. Then they only play a hand full of games themselves. Someone's got to review these things. Maybe try to ignore the reviews of games you've already played and stop planning for some future where people actually care about the OHR.

I think it's really gross that this has become a debate about how people should and shouldn't review. But if that's what we're doing then that's what we're doing.
You should do something you find fun instead, it's way better and much more cool. I'm worried about you Spoons. I just want you to be OK. If someone finds it fun to play bad games and say they suck that's cool! That can be fun too. Suffering isn't fun though it's really bad.
I do fun things all the time Surlaw. If you had read into the meaning of my post you would have noticed I was mostly speaking of other people that are reviewing as I have reviewed very few games personally.
That said, not everyone is here to just slime around dude. If that's all you want to do go make your own... oh wait you tried that already.
The Wobbler
A Scrambled Egg

Post by The Wobbler »

I'm being told to take things more seriously by the author of DDR: Christmas Rape Edition. I've never been more humbled.

To be serious for a moment, it's really dumb to say that people shouldn't be criticizing the way someone talks about games when this entire thread is dedicated to criticizing the way people make games. It's good to have a back and forth about this kind of thing. Joking around at Charbile for something I find funny in a review is not going to stop someone from writing reviews in the future. If that's a concern, we shouldn't say anything bad about these games because that might stop people from making games in the future. That's silly.

Yeah, it's probably too Charbile centered, but his whole thing is writing in a confrontational way even when he has good things to say. And that's fine. Confrontation can be good. It keeps us not dead. Being engaged with the reviews in this thread is more interesting for everyone than just ignoring them all and no one talking about anything.
Last edited by The Wobbler on Mon Feb 09, 2015 5:07 am, edited 2 times in total.
TMC
Metal King Slime

Post by TMC »

The Wobbler wrote:You should do something you find fun instead, it's way better and much more cool. I'm worried about you Spoons. I just want you to be OK. If someone finds it fun to play bad games and say they suck that's cool! That can be fun too. Suffering isn't fun though it's really bad.
Next time: The Great 1999 in Retrospective Review Contest! The games being reviewed will be even worse, but you can bet that it'd be more fun!
The Wobbler
A Scrambled Egg

Post by The Wobbler »

TMC wrote: Next time: The Great 1999 in Retrospective Review Contest! The games being reviewed will be even worse, but you can bet that it'd be more fun!
I actually think that's a fun idea! A "year in review" looking back at old games and how stuff's changed. Some games would be hard to track down and many embarrassing but there's a lot of history here and it's cool stuff. But I'm told it's bad to act like people care about the OHR or something.
Spoonweaver
Liquid Metal King Slime

Post by Spoonweaver »

The Wobbler wrote:I'm being told to take things more seriously by the author of DDR: Christmas Rape Edition. I've never been more humbled.

To be serious for a moment, it's really dumb to say that people shouldn't be criticizing the way someone talks about games when this entire thread is dedicated to criticizing the way people make games. It's good to have a back and forth about this kind of thing. Joking around at Charbile for something I find funny in a review is not going to stop someone from writing reviews in the future. If that's a concern, we shouldn't say anything bad about these games because that might stop people from making games in the future. That's silly.

Yeah, it's probably too Charbile centered, but his whole thing is writing in a confrontational way even when he has good things to say. And that's fine. Confrontation can be good. It keeps us not dead. Being engaged with the reviews in this thread is more interesting for everyone than just ignoring them all and no one talking about anything.
Well you make some good points. Not the one about the game I made, I mean look at yours. But anyways, my main complaint was that it wasn't just Charbile centric, it was RMZ and Fnerf game centric. Lots of these reviews are bad, so focusing on just a handful is bias. This review contest's main point, I feel, is to review games that would otherwise not be reviewed.
I will agree that confrontation can be fun, but I've found it turns a lot of people off. I mean, I personally welcome it. As long as it's not one sided.
The Wobbler wrote:
TMC wrote: Next time: The Great 1999 in Retrospective Review Contest! The games being reviewed will be even worse, but you can bet that it'd be more fun!
I actually think that's a fun idea! A "year in review" looking back at old games and how stuff's changed. Some games would be hard to track down and many embarrassing but there's a lot of history here and it's cool stuff. But I'm told it's bad to act like people care about the OHR or something.
Sounds like something Meatball was doing. Not sure why he stopped. Maybe someone that thinks it's a great idea could man up and take the reins.
Last edited by Spoonweaver on Mon Feb 09, 2015 5:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
The Wobbler
A Scrambled Egg

Post by The Wobbler »

You heard the man, TMC. Get writin bro.
FnrrfYgmSchnish
Metal Slime

Post by FnrrfYgmSchnish »

Next time: The Great 1999 in Retrospective Review Contest! The games being reviewed will be even worse, but you can bet that it'd be more fun!
I actually like this idea a lot more than the "review all the games that came out last year" thing.

Going back to dig up ancient, forgotten games that nobody has ever reviewed and few even remember, rather than piling yet more reviews on recent games that are still pretty much "in the spotlight" and (for the most part) have already seen at least one or two reviews each.

Though, as mentioned already, actually finding these old games would be the problem here. Anything before Castle Paradox (that never got uploaded there later) is probably going to be tough to find, assuming nobody has them sitting around on their hard drives still.
Last edited by FnrrfYgmSchnish on Mon Feb 09, 2015 6:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
FYS:AHS -- Working on Yagziknian NPC walkabout sprites
Shadowiii
Slime Knight

Post by Shadowiii »

I'm getting revved up to review Ends of the Earth 2.
Luigi is almost as sexy as me!
Foxley
Metal Slime

Post by Foxley »

I'm finna write up Antigone and Pain reviews. Warriors of Conway too.
The Wobbler
A Scrambled Egg

Post by The Wobbler »

Can I review Urban Fantasy again?
Gizmog
Metal King Slime

Post by Gizmog »

I love all of you. I can't imagine ever finding a community as fun and crazy and.. well, lovable as you guys. #OHR4Life
The Wobbler
A Scrambled Egg

Post by The Wobbler »

Love is a battlefield. 💑
Spoonweaver
Liquid Metal King Slime

Post by Spoonweaver »

ImageWe are strong, no one can tell us we're wrong.Image
Bob the Hamster
Lord of the Slimes

Post by Bob the Hamster »

Foxley wrote:I'm finna write up Antigone and Pain reviews. Warriors of Conway too.
Do you know where to find a copy of Pain.rpg? I lost mine years ago in a hard drive crash, and I don't remember finding it on any of the gamelists
TMC
Metal King Slime

Post by TMC »

I notice that there's a pain.rpg from 2004 on CP (game id 516). Description: "PAIN AND SUFFERING. --- THIS GAME IS TERRIBLE" I don't know which game we're talking about, but that seems on-topic.

Actually, there's a very short list of .rpg files with a last-modified date of 1999 around (I know of 13). Heaps from 2000 because of Op:OHR.

Pepsi Ranger claimed to have lots of old games...
FnrrfYgmSchnish wrote:...rather than piling yet more reviews on recent games that are still pretty much "in the spotlight" and (for the most part) have already seen at least one or two reviews each.
Well, not really, the point of this contest was that even many games released last year were forgotten and unreviewed. Aside from the games entered in contests, the others likely received little feedback.
Last edited by TMC on Mon Feb 09, 2015 4:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.