Mr. Triangle's Adventure by RedMaverickZero
    Zero: Secret Pasts Collide by Buni M
    Winged Realm by Pheonix
    Stand by kylekrack
    Invasion of the Mantle Dwellers by RabMoghal
Only kinda entries? ...because reasons?
  • The Pumpkin Warriors by Froginator
    T4R4D1DDL3 by superawesomeric
    James Doppler's Epic Sci-Fi Fantasy Quest of Space Time Adventure for the Mind by JimLuc T. Kirkard
    Dragons! by Guroo
Last edited by Spoonweaver on Mon Jan 26, 2015 5:37 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Urkelbot666
Slime Knight

Post by Urkelbot666 »

Awesome! thanks for the updated lists! I was digging through the thread a bit, but didn't find a complete rundown. Time to play some games!
FnrrfYgmSchnish
Metal Slime

Post by FnrrfYgmSchnish »

Troll Over by Spoonweaver
Batman & Robin by RedMaverickZero
Okédoké! La Leyenda Mexicana by FnrrfYgmSchnish
Mr. Triangle's Adventure by RedMaverickZero
Zero: Secret Pasts Collide by Buni M
Winged Realm by Pheonix
Stand by kylekrack
Invasion of the Mantle Dwellers by RabMoghal

Only kinda entries? ...because reasons?

The Pumpkin Warriors by Froginator
T4R4D1DDL3 by superawesomeric
James Doppler's Epic Sci-Fi Fantasy Quest of Space Time Adventure for the Mind by JimLuc T. Kirkard
Dragons! by Guroo
I seem to remember that Pumpkin Warriors was added to the "confirmed entries" list a while back, though it might not have ever gotten moved into that area of the announcement post.

T4R4D1DDL3 was a "maybe" due to questions of whether it counts as an RPG--though I think the decision was "close enough?" And then that one, James Doppler, and Dragons! were also all listed as "maybes" because nobody ever heard the creators say anything about whether they were intended to be Heart of the OHR entries or if they were just coincidentally released during the contest's timeframe.
FYS:AHS -- Working on Yagziknian NPC walkabout sprites
Pepsi Ranger
Liquid Metal Slime

Post by Pepsi Ranger »

Yep, Pumpkin Warriors has been moved to the confirmed category, so please make sure you vote for it.

As of now, the three unconfirmed entries have the fewest votes each. James Doppler currently has four votes and the other two have three votes. These are the ones that should get the most attention if they're to avoid the chopping block. Right now, the 2/3 rule applies to any game with fewer than six votes. The next person to vote for Troll Over will kick that number up a notch. The games with fewer than six votes are:

Stand
The Pumpkin Warriors
T4R4D1DDL3
James Doppler
Dragons!

The ones with exactly six are:

Batman & Robin
Zero: Secret Pasts Collide
Invasion of the Mantle Dwellers

Remember that the job of the 2/3 rule is to fill in empty votes with 5's until it reaches 2/3 the number of the top voted game, which, as of now, is Troll Over with nine votes (two of which were cast by voters who voted for nothing else). This can affect the average score in a positive or negative way, depending on how it swings. Don't let a game beat out another on a technicality. The 2/3 rule is implemented as a precaution against narrow averages, but it's my I hope I never have to use it.

I'm gonna close the polls next Sunday no matter what. But I hope I can get as many of you to vote between now and then as possible so that we can have a diverse range of opinions and really see which ones shine in the community and which ones have something to live up to.

P.S. I won't do this for the confirmed entries, but any unconfirmed entry that receives 1/3 the base votes or less will be dropped out of the ranking.
Place Obligatory Signature Here
Urkelbot666
Slime Knight

Post by Urkelbot666 »

I'm getting an error with the setup for Dragons! Does anyone know if there s another version of it, or any alternate downloads, or versions? (I'm running a 64-bit Windows 7)
Attachments
errorsetup.png
errorsetup.png (11.71 KiB) Viewed 5903 times
Gizmog
Metal King Slime

Post by Gizmog »

There was a zip file uploaded for the Review Contest here.
Gizmog
Metal King Slime

Sorry for the double post! Been doin' em a lot lately!

Post by Gizmog »

Since there's a scoring rubric now, I went back and changed me previous scores to match.
TMC
Metal King Slime

Post by TMC »

Wow, that error message is quite unexpected. 32 bit installers should work on a 64 bit Windows version. Urkelbot, what version of Windows do you have?

I actually find the scoring rubric quite helpful and will be roughly following it (following it closely would be too restrictive).
Bob the Hamster
Lord of the Slimes

Post by Bob the Hamster »

I just tested setup-dragons!.exe on my 64-bit windows 7 computer, and it worked just fine.
Urkelbot666
Slime Knight

Post by Urkelbot666 »

Downloaded from the link Gizmog posted, and got Dragons! to work.
I tried to score the games on a curve relative to the overall quality of all entries based upon my thoughts from what I played. I'll likely do in depth reviews for the games here that I haven;t already done in the review forum.

Here is my score rundown for the contest:

Troll Over by Spoonweaver - 5/10

Batman & Robin by RedMaverickZero - 7/10

Okédoké! La Leyenda Mexicana by FnrrfYgmSchnish - 5/10

Mr. Triangle's Adventure by RedMaverickZero - 6/10

Zero: Secret Pasts Collide by Buni M - 7/10

Winged Realm by Pheonix - 9/10

Stand by kylekrack - 6/10

Invasion of the Mantle Dwellers by RabMoghal - 5/10

The Pumpkin Warriors by Froginator - 5/10

T4R4D1DDL3 by superawesomeric - 8/10

James Doppler's Epic Sci-Fi Fantasy Quest of Space Time Adventure for the Mind by JimLuc T. Kirkard - 2/10

Dragons! by Guroo 3/10
JSH357
Liquid Metal Slime

Post by JSH357 »

Troll Over by Spoonweaver - 3/10

Batman & Robin by RedMaverickZero - 3/10

Okédoké! La Leyenda Mexicana by FnrrfYgmSchnish - 3/10

Mr. Triangle's Adventure by RedMaverickZero - 2/10

Zero: Secret Pasts Collide by Buni M - 3/10

Winged Realm by Pheonix - 7/10

Stand by kylekrack - 1/10

Invasion of the Mantle Dwellers by RabMoghal - 3/10

The Pumpkin Warriors by Froginator - 2/10

T4R4D1DDL3 by superawesomeric - Do not Rank

James Doppler's Epic Sci-Fi Fantasy Quest of Space Time Adventure for the Mind by JimLuc T. Kirkard - 3/10

Dragons! by Guroo 2/10
My website, the home of Motrya:
http://www.jshgaming.com
Pepsi Ranger
Liquid Metal Slime

Post by Pepsi Ranger »

Thanks for the votes, guys.
SDHawk
Metal Slime

Post by SDHawk »

Partial votes are a thing right? If not ignore this. Don't really like partially voting (typically I vote relative to the other entries), but Pepsi seems real desperate.

Zero: Secret Pasts Collide by Buni M 7/10

Buni is very shaky at rpg mechanics, but mostly knows how to write an rpg story. Objectively speaking the score is way too high, but the infectious enthusiasm behind it is why I play amateur games to begin with.

Winged Realm by Pheonix 9/10

Pheonix understands how to construct an rpg, from maps to battles. Didn't mention it in the review, but Giz is on point that story motivation dries up after you leave the tower and doesn't come back until the end of the cave. Might consider putting something small between there.

James Doppler's Epic Sci-Fi Fantasy Quest of Space Time Adventure for the Mind by JimLuc T. Kirkard 2/10

Deplorable, but the writing chops are undeniable.
Last edited by SDHawk on Sat Jan 31, 2015 2:28 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Pepsi Ranger
Liquid Metal Slime

Post by Pepsi Ranger »

SDHawk wrote:Partial votes are a thing right? If not ignore this. Don't really like partially voting (typically I vote relative to the other entries), but Pepsi seems real desperate.
Yep, I'll take as many or as few as you're willing to give. What I want is diversity, meaning as many opinions representing one game as possible so that the game's score isn't determined by one or two people. I want a "community consensus" on each game, or as close as we can get to one as possible.

So, I'm gonna leave the polls open one more night. I know most of us will probably be wrapped up in watching the Super Bowl to bother with votes in the evening, so if it takes you to Monday morning to get in your final marks, so be it.

I'll close things officially when I get off work Monday afternoon and check the forums. Wobbler and Meatballsub have both agreed to host the results, so I expect to have them up and ready by midweek.

EDIT:

T4R4D1DDL3 and Dragons! are still in the 2/3 vote range. As of now, neither game will be ranked by its true average unless two more people give them scores. Just a heads up.

Here's a tip: Dragons! will take a considerable jump in the line over what it deserves if no one else votes for it.

Note: This is true as long as no one else votes for Troll Over. If one more person votes for Troll Over, then they'll need three more votes to avoid the 2/3 rule (and Stand and Pumpkin Warriors would each need one more). Something to consider if you still haven't given a score for these games.

Note 2: On seeing what it's doing to Dragons!, I'm beginning to think the 2/3 rule in its current form is a bad idea. I think next time, the rule will substitute the most common score to represent missing votes rather than simply subbing with automatic fives.
Last edited by Pepsi Ranger on Sun Feb 01, 2015 7:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
TMC
Metal King Slime

Post by TMC »

Opps! Looks like I got lucky with that deadline extension. Sorry.

I plan to leave comments on each individual game in the
Review Contest thread. I already previously wrote a review of Dragons!
and extensive feedback for Troll Over though probably won't write
many other full-length reviews.

In the end I decided not to following the example rating scale much
and instead ranked each game against each other, which was pretty hard to do.
There's vast differences in quality between some of these games, yet
a rather small range in how much fun I had playing them.

Dragons! 2
Troll Over 7
The Pumpkin Warriors 5
You're lucky I decided to replay this one because there had been a bunch of
updates since I first played it. I got far further this time,
past the first dungeon, and saw there was much more to the game.
T4R4D1DDL3 7
Winged Realm 8
Stand 4
Invasion of the Mantle Dwellers 5
Note 2: On seeing what it's doing to Dragons!, I'm beginning to think the 2/3 rule in its current form is a bad idea. I think next time, the rule will substitute the most common score to represent missing votes rather than simply subbing with automatic fives.
Most common score for that game? There is very little difference between that and just ranking all games by their average scores.
Last edited by TMC on Sun Feb 01, 2015 3:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.