Old Addictions...

Talk about things that are not making games here. But you should also make games!

Moderators: Bob the Hamster, marionline, SDHawk

Meatballsub
Liquid Metal Slime

Old Addictions...

Post by Meatballsub »

Let me start out by saying I am a huge MMORPG fan. Well, maybe not as much as I used to be now that I have less and less time to devote to such an activity, but I still like them.

Back in late 1999 or early 2000, I bought Diablo II and played the crap out of it. After that I moved onto Final Fantasy XI in January of 2004. Once again, it consumed my life up until World of Warcraft came out. I converted to WoW, and played that off and on until January of this year.

I thought my MMO craving had subsided...until...

Last week I was sitting in my room and read about the fourth expansion for FFXI. When I joined the world of Azeroth a couple of years ago, I vowed to never get back into FFXI. However, the new expansion struck interest in me, and I went out and bought the original FFXI and the first three expansion packs for $20.

I can't beleive I am saying this, but I missed the game. What's even more crazy is that I have made contact with several people that I played with back in 2004!

Back then I wanted to level as fast as possible. I plan on approaching it from a different angle this time, focusing more on enjoying the experience with crafting and working the auction house rather than making it to the top in as little time as possible.

I am enjoying the game, but man, old addictions suck :(
Jack
Slime Knight

Post by Jack »

I've played World of Warcraft (and a very little bit of Guild Wars). The only reason to ever keep playing would be dungeons, and playing dungeons with people you know that are the same level as you. Otherwise, it's really just boring, all the quests are the same, and all the people are annoying. Besides, I dislike spending money to keep playing.

However, this is something I'm looking forward to:

http://www.exanimusthegame.com/
Aeth
Slime Knight

Post by Aeth »

I used to play Ragnarok Online a lot. I'm really glad I don't anymore.

I tried FFXI when it came out, but I couldn't get into it; the ridiculous death penalties and the necessity to party with people who aren't dumb made it very un-fun for me.

It was Ragnarok Online and FFXI that made me hate the point-and-click MMORPGs (aka 90% of them), because that's all you do: point at something, maybe select a spell or something first, then click on something. Landing/dodging attacks or spells is merely a running of numbers.

This is why now I play Phantasy Star Universe (in moderation, of course), because it plays very similarly to PSO: you don't just point and click at things, but it plays much more like an action RPG (to the point where I don't see how it's possible to play it without a gamepad). It's infinitely more fun that way.
Meatballsub
Liquid Metal Slime

Post by Meatballsub »

That horror MMO looks cool. I will have to look into it some more.

I have never played PSO, I might have to look into that as well.

I used to be real big into PvP. That is what interested me with WoW so much. I think I had my fill for that eventually though.

You are right, 90% of the stuff is repeating the same things over and over again. There is just something I like about the FFXI auction house/bazaar system, crafting, and gathering supplies. I have logged in the past couple days to do nothing but work the auction house and craft. Looking back, I prefer the challenge of crafting in FFXI over WoWs because stuff can actually be ruined or break. In WoW, you always produced the desired results, which kind of makes it less lifelike in my opinion.
Newbie Newtype
Reigning Smash Champion

Post by Newbie Newtype »

but it plays much more like an action RPG (to the point where I don't see how it's possible to play it without a gamepad).
This. I never played PSO offline or online, but this is pretty much the reason why I rarely play MMORPGs. Point and click movement is simply too sloppy.
Aeth
Slime Knight

Post by Aeth »

Yeah, that's exactly why I like PSO and PSU. In 90% of MMORPGs, if an enemy starts casting a fire spell or something on you, the only way to avoid it is to kill him before he finishes casting it. In PSO/PSU, however, you can dodge out of the way of the fireball that's coming, or circle around an enemy to avoid that stab they're about to do (and then slash/shoot them in the back where your accuracy gets a boost). It's just more fun that way.
Only One In All
Metal Slime

Post by Only One In All »

MMO's to me, are just really tedious and the people are atrocious. And with school, work, and working on my game (which should be reason enough for all you other people out there working on one to be not playing MMO's)are more important and productive.
Twinconclusive
Liquid Metal Slime

Post by Twinconclusive »

Only One In All wrote:MMO's to me, are just really tedious and the people are atrocious. And with school, work, and working on my game (which should be reason enough for all you other people out there working on one to be not playing MMO's)are more important and productive.
But making a game takes way more effort than playing a game.
And it's harder D:
♪♪♪ Du du duuuu ♪♪♪
Only One In All
Metal Slime

Post by Only One In All »

But much more rewarding. :)
Meatballsub
Liquid Metal Slime

Post by Meatballsub »

Yeah, most people are worth half a piece of crap online. However, on occasion you will meet some really nice people.

This reminds me I should start working on my game again.... :v:
Newbie Newtype
Reigning Smash Champion

Post by Newbie Newtype »

I'm attempting to try out RF Online simply because it has mecha.
spheroidal_defence
Red Slime

Post by spheroidal_defence »

Temporarily reviving old topics so that you can bury them again is the new thing.
reinterpret_cast<ClassB>(a);