Hype Up Your Game Thread

Make games! Discuss those games here.

Moderators: Bob the Hamster, marionline, SDHawk

Matokage
Slime Knight

Post by Matokage »

I have made a base for a battle music for my actual project (Codename: Isometric)

Listen to it and give any suggestion. Also it uses Bineural Beats so it would be cool if you hear it with headphones.

https://soundcloud.com/matokage/isobattle
"I can't buy food with glory"
Matokage
Slime Knight

Post by Matokage »

Just Released a Tech Demo showing how to use scripting for a simple cheat input

Name Cheats
"I can't buy food with glory"
Gizmog
Metal King Slime

Post by Gizmog »

Cool idea. More games need cheats and secrets and whatnot.
Meowskivich
Blubber Bloat

Post by Meowskivich »

I know, whatever happened to cheats and stuff?
dOn'T MiNd mE! i'M jUsT CoNtAgIoUs!!!
Play Orbs CCG: http://orbsccg.com/r/4r6x :V
The Wobbler
A Scrambled Egg

Post by The Wobbler »

Meowskivich wrote:I know, whatever happened to cheats and stuff?
They're sold as paid DLC now.
Taco Bot
Meat, Cheese, and Silicon

Post by Taco Bot »

DLC. Yuk.
Sent from my iPhone
kylekrack
Liquid Metal Slime

Post by kylekrack »

These two Extra Credits videos talk about DLC and I think they're important to watch. DLC is not an evil thing. It's actually pretty reasonable why developers use it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SXm4EvQG5rg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g0TT_SGL-oc
My pronouns are they/them
Ps. I love my wife
The Wobbler
A Scrambled Egg

Post by The Wobbler »

It's not good or bad, it's just a tool. Nintendo selling an absolutely massive Mario Kart expansion that adds 16 courses for around $10 is extremely good. Capcom selling the ending to Asura's Wrath for $5 is extremely horrible.

But cheats/super weapons/level ups being sold as DLC is really dumb.
Spoonweaver
Liquid Metal King Slime

Post by Spoonweaver »

That video make me sick. Rant Time!

Ok so here's all the things wrong with what that first video was saying about day 1 DLC.

FIRST, oh poor publishers. Publishers make plenty of sliming money off of video games. Never for a second feel sorry for a large company. Big game companies create a massive amount of overhead for themselves because they employ a bunch of dingbats that basically just sit around and do nothing. Not to mention the dingbats at the head of most big gaming companies that don't to anything other than rake in money. The people making more money are not the developers. The developers have been paid for their service and will likely not see another cent of that money either way. The only thing day a DLC does is give more money to the head of the company which ideally would be put back into the business to make more games, but in no way goes directly into the hands of game developers such as you or me.

SECOND, crying about used game sales is childish. This would be like book publishers crying about libraries. We as consumers have certain rights. These rights include actually owning the things we buy. More and more gaming companies are treating gamers as if they are just renting the games they've bought. Well we're not renting, we own it. Ownership of something comes with certain rights, such as the right to resell it.

THIRD, the guy's dumb plan. Game companies can't dictate how much their game sells for in stores. If they did that, it would change the whole way games are sold in stores and would likely make the distributors angry. Also, saying gamestop is somehow screwing over game companies is bullcrap.

These videos suck and you suck for posting them.
Taco Bot
Meat, Cheese, and Silicon

Post by Taco Bot »

The Wobbler wrote:...cheats/super weapons/level ups being sold as DLC is really dumb.
This is what immediately comes to mind when I think DLC. Nasty, mean, in-app purchases for console games. Bleah.
Spoonweaver wrote:These videos suck and you suck for posting them.
I agree entirely with the rest of your post, but let's try to keep things civilized here, okay?
Sent from my iPhone
Meowskivich
Blubber Bloat

Post by Meowskivich »

I have very twisted opinions on DLC. Mostly negative, but mostly because most people have used DLC as the get-rich-quick scheme flavor of the day rather than the good way it could be used, like, say, TES5 having around 100+ hours gameplay and each DLC, being 20 bucks each, I believe, and they add around 20+ hours more content each. Depends on the DLC, I guess. But yeah, that's an example I can give of a good DLC. We all know the stereotypes of bad DLC, though.

And as for dumb dlc, I feel alternate costumes being 1-2 dollar dlc each is stupid. I feel the fact that you have to beat the game or put in a cheat code TO USE THE DLC YOU PURCHASED for batman games insulting. That's all I feel like adding to this.
dOn'T MiNd mE! i'M jUsT CoNtAgIoUs!!!
Play Orbs CCG: http://orbsccg.com/r/4r6x :V
kylekrack
Liquid Metal Slime

Post by kylekrack »

The idea is that people get angry with DLC for the wrong reasons. Nobody is pointing any fingers at anybody, he's simply just trying to show the situation from a different perspective. It makes sense why publishers have DLC available from their standpoint. That doesn't mean it's a good thing to do, it just makes sense that they do it. It's like getting mad at a kid for eating a cookie he finds on the counter. Maybe he wasn't supposed to eat that cookie, but he's a kid and he wanted the cookie, so can you really blame him?

And yes, the big companies do make a lot of money, but we're not just talking about the big companies here. DLC by way of cheats/super weapons/level ups (the stupid kinds of DLC) is something you can get upset about. However, DLC has existed for a long time, except it hasn't always been downloadable. Expansion packs for games have been around for ages. It's extra material to a game. If you really like a game, you'll get the DLC for it. If you don't, why waste your money buying more for it.

The fact is, they can make more money by selling DLC. Do you want more money? I do. They want money too, and this is a way they can easily get it. More people buy games used if they can, because only people who are really excited for a game will buy it when it first comes out. Otherwise, why not wait for it to be cheaper. Through used games sales, companies lose out on money, because they don't get any of it. They're not trying to stop the sales of used games or take away any of your "rights," they're just trying to make money off of their product as much as they can. So saying that game companies don't lose any money from GameStop's sales is, well, wrong. Game companies don't make money on used games that are sold, and if you buy a game used, you aren't going to buy it new later.

So I'm afraid I don't understand what you expect game companies (who want money) to do when they start losing sales. Just sit there and accept that ownership comes with certain rights? I doubt it. They can make more money from day 1 DLC because that's when people are most likely to buy the DLC. These videos are just explaining that. Not saying it's right, not saying they need more money, not saying "poor" anyone. It's just a different perspective.

EDIT: Yeah, DLC can be really dumb, but it doesn't have to be. That's all I'm saying.
Last edited by kylekrack on Sun Nov 09, 2014 1:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
My pronouns are they/them
Ps. I love my wife
Foxley
Metal Slime

Post by Foxley »

I like DLC when it's already bundled into a game, and that game is on a 75% off Steam sale. Aw yiss.

Anyways, DLC can be a way of adding features and content to a game that had to be hustled out for a release deadline and some of the features and storylines the developers would've liked to add in had to be cut to get a 'finished' product out on time. And I can respect that. But things like making the conclusion of a game DLC is utterly trashy beyond words.
Spoonweaver
Liquid Metal King Slime

Post by Spoonweaver »

kylekrack wrote:The idea is that people get angry with DLC for the wrong reasons. Nobody is pointing any fingers at anybody, he's simply just trying to show the situation from a different perspective. It makes sense why publishers have DLC available from their standpoint. That doesn't mean it's a good thing to do, it just makes sense that they do it. It's like getting mad at a kid for eating a cookie he finds on the counter. Maybe he wasn't supposed to eat that cookie, but he's a kid and he wanted the cookie, so can you really blame him?
I respect the idea of looking at things from a different perspective, and I apologize for saying you suck. However, game companies aren't children. It would be like getting angry at a grown man for eating your cookie off of the counter. Sure he's all, "But I didn't know it was yours." But that's not the point, he's not a child so he should know better than to just eat a random cookie he finds and expect it to basically belong to no one.
kylekrack wrote:And yes, the big companies do make a lot of money, but we're not just talking about the big companies here. DLC by way of cheats/super weapons/level ups (the stupid kinds of DLC) is something you can get upset about. However, DLC has existed for a long time, except it hasn't always been downloadable. Expansion packs for games have been around for ages. It's extra material to a game. If you really like a game, you'll get the DLC for it. If you don't, why waste your money buying more for it.
Well the video wasn't about expansions. Expansions are simply the gateway drug to DLC these days. First, expansions come out later. They're like a sequel but not a complete sequel. The video was about day one DLC, which is completely different because it not only is normally a lot less content than one would expect i an expansion but isn't presented in the form of a sort of sequel. Day 1 DLC is like if you went to a movie and half an hour in the movie instructed you to go buy another ticket to continue watching.
kylekrack wrote:The fact is, they can make more money by selling DLC. Do you want more money? I do. They want money too, and this is a way they can easily get it. More people buy games used if they can, because only people who are really excited for a game will buy it when it first comes out. Otherwise, why not wait for it to be cheaper. Through used games sales, companies lose out on money, because they don't get any of it.
Well theres 2 things wrong here. First, the whole reason I dislike DLC is BECAUSE it's designed just to make money. Thats actually the arguement against. Not being against just tells game companies, "It's ok, keep gouging us" therefore I feel it's necessary to not only dislike day 1 DLC and to not buy games that have it, but to also spread the word about it so others might also not buy those games and change might take place.
The other thing wrong here is that a used game means a game has already been sold. However, the person that bought the game didn't like it enough to keep it. I have gone to Gamestop plenty of times to find that the game I want is not available used. Thats because it was a good game. So instead of being ok with game companies gouging us, shouldn't we encourage them to simply make better games? I mean, they ARE speading millions to make these things.
kylekrack wrote:They're not trying to stop the sales of used games or take away any of your "rights," they're just trying to make money off of their product as much as they can. So saying that game companies don't lose any money from GameStop's sales is, well, wrong. Game companies don't make money on used games that are sold, and if you buy a game used, you aren't going to buy it new later. So I'm afraid I don't understand what you expect game companies (who want money) to do when they start losing sales. Just sit there and accept that ownership comes with certain rights? I doubt it.
Yes, they are trying to stop used game sales. Xbox has basically said just that and almost did it before the shitstorm hit.
Also, saying the game companies LOSE game sales to used games is incorrect. Used game sales have been around forever, longer than most game companies. They didn't lose those sales, they never had those sales.
kylekrack wrote: They can make more money from day 1 DLC because that's when people are most likely to buy the DLC. These videos are just explaining that. Not saying it's right, not saying they need more money, not saying "poor" anyone. It's just a different perspective.
Well no, it's a preachy perspective implying it's. Also, it's becoming more and more clear that games with day 1 DLC are a big turn off and so actually they're starting to make companies less money. Hopefully, these companies realize this instead of listening to videos that say the customer is wrong for being upset and the company should just try to do day 1 DLC in different ways. Terrible DLC and other pay as you play garbage is actually turning a lot of gamers off of gaming completely. It's completely ruined the mobile gaming market and it's starting in on consoles. It's making things harder for ALL game developers because gamers are less likely to take a chance on an unknown game because they're afraid of running into a pay wall after they've invested time and money into the game.
kylekrack wrote:EDIT: Yeah, DLC can be really dumb, but it doesn't have to be. That's all I'm saying.
No it's not, you're actually saying a lot more than that.
The Wobbler
A Scrambled Egg

Post by The Wobbler »

kylekrack wrote:So I'm afraid I don't understand what you expect game companies (who want money) to do when they start losing sales.
Game sales are at an all time high and Gamestop incentivizes people to trade in games for extra credit towards new releases. If they're losing sales, make better games or run better advertising. Give bonuses to people who buy new (soundtracks, art books, etc), don't punish people who buy used.