The Official Hamster Republic All Star Battles

Talk about things that are not making games here. But you should also make games!

Moderators: Bob the Hamster, marionline, SDHawk

Willy Elektrix
Liquid Metal Slime

Post by Willy Elektrix »

Bob the Hamster wrote:Choosing the right engine for the job is definitely important, but the other big hurdle is that a fighting game requires a lot of animation frames. The art burden is really enormous, so you won't get far without one or more artists really dedicated to the project.
Not to mention the exhausting balancing required to make all of the characters useful and fun. A fighting game seems really work intensive to do well.
Nathan Karr
Liquid Metal Slime

Post by Nathan Karr »

Taco Bot wrote:
The Wobbler wrote:No one should nominate their own characters/games for anything.
I nominate Dinosaurs Micro, Giant, and Super; along with C. Kane, both the Marines, and Mr. Pepper.

In fact, we should just have a second game for Surlaw's characters.
I second Dinosaurs Micro and Giant.
Remeber: God made you special and he loves you very much. Bye!
Spoonweaver
Liquid Metal King Slime

Post by Spoonweaver »

Nominating ohr characters for a game that will likely never exist.
I love this thread.
Meowskivich
Blubber Bloat

Post by Meowskivich »

Spoonweaver wrote:Nominating ohr characters for a game that will likely never exist.
I love this thread.
I volunteer Tim-Tim, that brain on legs creature from said game that is my bane, and Cool-Guy Bob Surlaw.
dOn'T MiNd mE! i'M jUsT CoNtAgIoUs!!!
Play Orbs CCG: http://orbsccg.com/r/4r6x :V
The Wobbler
A Scrambled Egg

Post by The Wobbler »

I nominate Orange Monday and de-nominate my own guys unless the project is proven viable.
Spoonweaver
Liquid Metal King Slime

Post by Spoonweaver »

I nominate mega man, goku, and batman
Gizmog
Metal King Slime

Post by Gizmog »

I nominate you make it a wacky 1v1 Tournament with RPG mechanics, which will be A) Way easier to accomplish programming wise B) Way easier to accomplish graphics wise and C) More fitting to all of the characters involved.

I'm also follow Surlaw's example by pre-emptively un-nominating anything I've ever done. You guys are dumb.
Froginator
Slime Knight

Post by Froginator »

The reply of Gizmog is very good. Instead of making a Smash Bros. or Tekken clone I'm going to try out a type of game wich is programmed with the OHR, but the battles will be walkabout based. It should have RPG elements and you are going to play as choosable characters in every round of a turnament like battle competition. Your character will fight against other OHR characters. But as some of you already said this game will need some time, because I'm mainly working on another project. This will only be a side project, so don't think it's out next month or something...
Last edited by Froginator on Thu Nov 06, 2014 6:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Meowskivich
Blubber Bloat

Post by Meowskivich »

Spoonweaver wrote:I nominate mega man, goku, and batman
I nominate specifically the lemon-eating mega man of Meh 2.0
dOn'T MiNd mE! i'M jUsT CoNtAgIoUs!!!
Play Orbs CCG: http://orbsccg.com/r/4r6x :V
Spoonweaver
Liquid Metal King Slime

Post by Spoonweaver »

I was nominating, specifically, the megaman from megaman sprite game.
Attachments
mm5-1024x639.png
mm5-1024x639.png (659.04 KiB) Viewed 5648 times
Taco Bot
Meat, Cheese, and Silicon

Post by Taco Bot »

I nominate Jerry Seinfeld and Spodermans.
Sent from my iPhone
Nathan Karr
Liquid Metal Slime

Post by Nathan Karr »

Spoonweaver wrote:I was nominating, specifically, the megaman from megaman sprite game.
I second that Mega Man, Batman from RMZ's game (not the Mike Tyson one) and am having a hard time remembering a good appearance from Goku.
Gizmog
Metal King Slime

Post by Gizmog »

There were plenty of DBZ games around the turn of the millenium. Pick one!
Nathan Karr
Liquid Metal Slime

Post by Nathan Karr »

Gizmog wrote:There were plenty of DBZ games around the turn of the millenium. Pick one!
Weird thing is that the ones I remember were from the PoV of Nappa and Vegeta and ended before Goku showed up.
FnrrfYgmSchnish
Metal Slime

Post by FnrrfYgmSchnish »

I think I can only recall hearing about... maybe two actual DBZ games made using the OHRRPGCE? There was a really old one called "Assault of the Saiyans" or something like that, and then there was a much more recent one that I can't remember if it ever got a demo released or not. But yeah, if I'm remembering right they both seemed to focus on Nappa and Vegeta.

I guess it's possible that there were a ton of old DBZ games from waaaaaay back (like... late '90s, early 2000s, before Castle Paradox, so there's probably no record of them ever existing except in the memories of people who were downloading OHR games before 2003ish), since every time the topic of DBZ games or fangames in general comes up, everyone seems to use DBZ as the example of "series that had LOADS of bad fangames made for it."
I only really remember seeing a couple of them (Sailor Moon had just as many fangames as DBZ if not more, from what I remember)... but then, the only OHR-related forum I ever went on back then was the old "OHRRPGCE Help Me" board, I only ever downloaded a small handful of games, and the places to go to find OHRRPGCE games weren't quite as centralized and easy to find back then as they are now (a lot of them only existed on people's personal websites, not in big archives or anything)... so it would've been pretty easy for me to miss them.
FYS:AHS -- Working on Yagziknian NPC walkabout sprites