Dragon Quest style battles

Make games! Discuss those games here.

Moderators: Bob the Hamster, marionline, SDHawk

Urkelbot666
Slime Knight

Dragon Quest style battles

Post by Urkelbot666 »

This doesn't have anything to do with any game I'm working on, I was just curious if anyone has tried/done, or if it was even feasible with the OHRRPGE to do battles that are visually similar to the old Dragon Warrior games. The first person/old PC Adventure game style.

I know the effect could somewhat be done just using sparser graphics (No hero battle sprites, no projectile attacks, minimal attack graphics) But there would still be issues with the placement of the battle menu (in the upper right by default) as well as the cursor above the hero sprite. (maybe it be removed, or changed to blend in with the background?)

Anyway, like I said, I'm not planning on doing a game in that style at the moent, I was just curious. :)
kylekrack
Liquid Metal Slime

Post by kylekrack »

You could make the hero sprites invisible and make the enemy sprites facing forward and place them in battle formations accordingly. The perspective is definitely possible but the gui is a little more tricky, given that battlescripting is yet to be implemented. You could either wait for that or do what I'm doing and try to script your own battle system from scratch.

This is the game I'm working on, Stand. The battle system is very barebones, but a lot of work has gone into that, so if you want to make a full fledged system, you've gotta spend some time on it and know what you're doing.
http://www.slimesalad.com/forum/viewgame.php?t=6268
My pronouns are they/them
Ps. I love my wife
Meowskivich
Blubber Bloat

Post by Meowskivich »

Refer to merciful mungbeans, a game of mine sort of stuck in limbo. I'll send a copy of the in progress thing to anyone interested.
dOn'T MiNd mE! i'M jUsT CoNtAgIoUs!!!
Play Orbs CCG: http://orbsccg.com/r/4r6x :V
TMC
Metal King Slime

Post by TMC »

There is actually a general preference bitset to hide the hero battle cursor, for this very reason.