The Not So Humble OHR Bundle!

Make games! Discuss those games here.

Moderators: Bob the Hamster, marionline, SDHawk

Spoonweaver
Liquid Metal King Slime

Post by Spoonweaver »

Meowskivich wrote:(I could use a couple tunes for my halloween shooter game, though that's not part of this)
Just sent you 4 tasty tunes.
Tried to make them spooky.

This is a new page, so in case you're new to the thread. We're trying to narrow down the best OHR games to include in an OHR bundle that will then be ported to different platforms and generally distributed far and wide. The list of currently considered games is on the first post.
Last edited by Spoonweaver on Mon Oct 13, 2014 7:36 pm, edited 2 times in total.
The Wobbler
A Scrambled Egg

Post by The Wobbler »

If stuff's packaged together won't it hit the size limit on the Android store pretty fast? If the limit's still 50 MB some of these games barely fit individually.

I'm still making money on Kane and Walthros so no go on those on phones/OUYA. Include them if you want to in a PC/Mac/Linux bundle. Walthrus uses ripped photos and anime pictures for its backdrops and music from other games.
Last edited by The Wobbler on Tue Oct 14, 2014 1:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
msw188
Metal Slime

Post by msw188 »

Naturally I'm more than happy to allow Tales of the New World to be used in any way. Nothing is 'ripped', but one song is a "by ear rendition" of the main melody of A Whiter Shade of Pale. Oh, and this is also used in a special in-game medley featuring many of the songs from throughout the game (if it weren't, I'd just replace it, but the need to change this medley means more effort than just a quick fix).

The game is complete.
I am Srime
Bob the Hamster
Lord of the Slimes

Post by Bob the Hamster »

The Wobbler wrote:If stuff's packaged together won't it hit the size limit on the Android store pretty fast? If the limit's still 50 MB some of these games barely fit individually.
That is a good point! The bundled rpgs need to total less than about 42 megabytes zipped.

That is another argument in favor of focusing on smaller games for the bundle, and packaging larger games on their own.

Also, for midi music support, a soundfont has to be included. The only free soundfont I have is about 17 megabytes, which means that only about 25 megabytes are available for the RPG files.
Spoonweaver
Liquid Metal King Slime

Post by Spoonweaver »

Damnit Surlaw....
That's so true and project crushing.
Matokage
Slime Knight

Post by Matokage »

I would suggest Ends of the Earth I and II

This was the first OHR game I have played and discovered the engine :v:
"I can't buy food with glory"
TMC
Metal King Slime

Post by TMC »

What sort of bundle are we talking about? By the name I assumed you meant something like the Humble Indie Bundle (but free), in other words a webpage promoting a set of games with easy individual download links for multiple platforms.

It it seems like everyone else is talking about an actual (metaphorical) bundle. So basically you're going to upload a single package on Google Play and hope people will find it there, rather than learning about it from a website?
Spoonweaver
Liquid Metal King Slime

Post by Spoonweaver »

I was thinking both.

But, it's seeming more like a grouped APK might be hard to do and limit the games allowed in the bundle. So, I guess just the website.
TMC
Metal King Slime

Post by TMC »

It's possible to get around the 50MB limit, it simply involves the app downloading the needed data when it runs. The SDL android port we're building on has that as built-in functionality, but we haven't worked on using it yet. (And we will want to support games larger than 50MB anyway). Really, the only difference between that and the app just doing a normal download to download the games is (AFAIK) whether the download is hosted by Google.
Last edited by TMC on Fri Oct 17, 2014 6:32 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Rue
Slime Knight

Post by Rue »

Hey guys, I know I haven't been around in a long time, but I couldn't help but notice this discussion, as I used to work at a large mobile game developer.

One solution for getting around the filesize limit would be to create a installer, and release that into the wild. The installer would download each game separately as packs (which, my evil corporateness says "slap some in-app purchases on that, but I digress). This gets you around the Google and Apple file size rules.

As far as the music goes, I'd recommend getting a team together to compose or generate replacement songs for all of the ripped music, as I do recall nearly all older OHR games used ripped music, and this would eventually be a legal issue. Don't take that risk.
Taco Bot
Meat, Cheese, and Silicon

Post by Taco Bot »

What about all the games that use the default "import folder" music? Should we switch some of those around, or leave them with the same soundtrack?
Sent from my iPhone
Bob the Hamster
Lord of the Slimes

sdl-android has built-in support for downloading files. This method means somebody has to do the hosting. It also means that the game data doesn't get downloaded until the first time you run the game. That means that the app installs from google play, and the player thinks it is done, but when they try to play, they have to wait another 10 minutes?, another 15 minutes?

I am not sure if sdl-android's downloader works while the app is in the background. I'll have to test that.

Google play does have a feature that lets you download 2 "expansion" data files, which can be *much* larger than the 50mb apk limit. This requires using a special google library, and it makes your app incompatible with other stores (like the Amazon store, or the OUYA store)

These expansion files are *supposed* to be downloaded at the same time as when you install the app, but get this: they are NOT guaranteed to be downloaded, so your app is still required to manually check and see if they were downloaded successfully or not, and if not it has to do a post-install download similar to the one that sdl-android does.

Another option for a larger-than-50-mb bundle is to just not use google play. We could put it on Amazon's app store with no problem, or we could simply give a direct link to the apk file like itch.io does, or like Humble Bundle did before they made their own installer app.
Last edited by Bob the Hamster on Thu Oct 23, 2014 2:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Meowskivich
Blubber Bloat

Post by Meowskivich »

I was too lazy to draw more than one frame for the player.
Attachments
skully.png
skully.png (478 Bytes) Viewed 3161 times
dOn'T MiNd mE! i'M jUsT CoNtAgIoUs!!!
Play Orbs CCG: http://orbsccg.com/r/4r6x :V
Spoonweaver
Liquid Metal King Slime

Post by Spoonweaver »

OH! it's only for google?
Well that should be fine to ignore then considering this is a community project and hosting on Google costs 50 bucks. 50 bucks the community as an entity doesn't have. (unless that art book actually made money) We COULD do some sort of collection for it, but it might be best to keep things free.
On that note, I think we could actually have the bundle page be a souped up blog, and host all the files needs either on slimesalad or other sites that support the other particular platforms (i.e. Amazon) We could also do free advertising through word of mouth and emailing blogger/internet journalists. Anyone willing to sign up to email or forum post, please sign up for that in this thread.

Anyways, we need to start widdling this list down. I know no one wants to be that guy to say, "such-and-such shouldn't be in the bundle" but that's really what we need right now.
Bob the Hamster
Lord of the Slimes

What is the combined zipped filesize of the list you proposed in the first post?
Last edited by Bob the Hamster on Thu Oct 23, 2014 9:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.