Make games! Discuss those games here.

Moderators: Bob the Hamster, marionline, SDHawk

Spoonweaver
Liquid Metal King Slime

The Not So Humble OHR Bundle!

Post by Spoonweaver »

Visit the 2014 OHR BUNDLE here!

We should start a Bundle!
It should be ported to OUYA and/or Android mobile devices! We need to discuss what should be included and how best to package it!!

Suggested Bundle Games:

Code: Select all

Ends of the Earth I
Alice is Trapped
Attack Fish Chronicles Volume I: The Omega
Bloodlust v 1.1
Bob the Hamster in the Crypt of Baconthulhu
Bufanda: A Tale of Three Ghosts
C. Kane
Castle on the Night Land
Clam Digger*
Do You Want to Be a Hero?
DON'T EAT SOAP! An Educational Game Starring Bob the Hamster
Dreadful Occupant*
Dreg Sector: The Tract
Duck
DUNGEONMEN: Men of Dungeons*
Escape the Wolf: OHR*
Gomie's Christmas Surprise
Horse Game
Jumpman
KING OF GOURMET: FEAST FOR YOUR LIFE
Maze of the Red Mage
My Little Gahn
Okédoké: La Leyenda Mexicana
Slimeomancy*
Spellshard: The Black Crown of Horgoth*
Sword of Jade: Parallel Dreams
Tales of the New World I
The Death of Von Stabbingmore*
The Wizard's Bomb
Tim-Tim "The Mighty Gnome"*
Time and Time Again
Ends of the Earth II
Transylvania Girls
Vampire's Curse
Walthrus: Return of the Crystals
* been ok'd by the developer(s)
Attachments
BUNDLE.png
BUNDLE.png (39.13 KiB) Viewed 5082 times
Last edited by Spoonweaver on Fri Nov 21, 2014 7:30 am, edited 13 times in total.
Meowskivich
Blubber Bloat

Post by Meowskivich »

Uh, There's Ffner's Laylenda Mexicana or however you spell his wacky named stuff. That's the only other complete thing I can think of.
dOn'T MiNd mE! i'M jUsT CoNtAgIoUs!!!
Play Orbs CCG: http://orbsccg.com/r/4r6x :V
BMR
Metal King Slime

Post by BMR »

Some of the collab or contest games could be added. That spy game thing where you disguise yourself as the other npcs springs to mind. As does the other one with the time-loop and the evil sorceress or something.

EDIT:

<a href="http://www.slimesalad.com/forum/viewgam ... =6032">Spy Game</a> by Sephy and mari
<a href="http://www.slimesalad.com/forum/viewgam ... 5595">Time and Time Again</a> by Hawk and MasterK
Last edited by BMR on Mon Oct 13, 2014 7:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
Being from the third world, I reserve the right to speak in the third person.

Using Editor version wip 20170527 gfx_sdl+fb music_sdl
TMC
Metal King Slime

Post by TMC »

I like the idea of putting together vetted list of complete, great games, and providing download links for them for lots of platforms. How many people provide a Mac package for their game, which takes only a minute or two to create and upload? Maybe two people ever.

Have a look at the complete games list.
Spoonweaver
Liquid Metal King Slime

Post by Spoonweaver »

@Meowskivich:
This is a common misconception of OHR games. The truth of the matter is that something like 45-50% of OHR are complete. The problem is, once developers complete their game they basically drop it and never do any marketing so no one hears about it ever again. Thus, newer people have no idea that there's a treasure trove of great, finished, ohr games.

@BMR:
I agree with time and time again as being a decent candidate. However I believe spy game was barely past the tech demo stage.

@TMC:
How many people have PLAYED or even asked about an ohr game on mac? Maybe two people ever. :V
But anyways, yea I think the game pack could be made available on as many platforms as we can possibly manage. And some sort of list or perhaps a webpage along the lines of the humble bundle page would be great.
Meowskivich
Blubber Bloat

Post by Meowskivich »

Spoonweaver wrote:Thus, newer people have no idea that there's a treasure trove of great, finished, ohr games.
I vote for a special game section that is moderated that has complete games only, that way people can get to these completed games and actually KNOW about them.
Spoonweaver
Liquid Metal King Slime

Post by Spoonweaver »

Check the game of the month list.
A feature that had so little interest it was forgotten about.

After saying that: I'm just going to add all the GotM games to this list too.
Also: there do seem to be a few games on this list that are unfinished. I'll remove those.
Last edited by Spoonweaver on Mon Oct 13, 2014 1:34 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Spoonweaver
Liquid Metal King Slime

Post by Spoonweaver »

Actually, now that we have the GotM list we can proceed to screening the games. New games can still be added tot he list. Just suggest them.

The criteria that I suggest:

1. The game is complete

2. The game doesn't have ripped graphics, material or characters in it.

3. The game is at least somewhat decent in quality

I'd also like to get the developer's approval but that can wait till the next step in choosing the games. Unless any developers would like to step forward and have their games removed form this list, which I would fully understand.
Last edited by Spoonweaver on Mon Oct 13, 2014 1:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bob the Hamster
Lord of the Slimes

Post by Bob the Hamster »

Although I prefer packaging games individually, this sounds like a great idea for those many smaller games games which are really cool, but aren't big enough to stand alone.

I would happily submit Vonstabbingmore and Escape the Wolf for consideration.

I agree that we need developer permission for each game, but that we can wait on collecting that until we have a list of games.

I am sure a few of these developers might prefer to have their games packaged separately (even for short games), but maybe the bundle will light a fire under them to get that process started :)
FnrrfYgmSchnish
Metal Slime

Post by FnrrfYgmSchnish »

2. The game doesn't have ripped graphics, material or characters in it.
"Material?" Does that mean music/sound effects (...which disqualifies a huge portion of OHR games... especially in the case of music... though sound effects not so much anymore thanks to SFXR!), or what? I mean, I suppose the possibility of a ripped font is out there too, but that doesn't seem like it would stand out as much as music or especially graphics would.

And for "ripped characters" I'm guessing you mean fangame type situations (the only recent examples of fangames or fangame-like things that immediately come to mind are Batman & Robin, Village People, Puckamon, and I think a couple of Mario games, though I remember there being more of them years ago... It seems like there aren't a lot of OHR fangames being made anymore, from what I've seen) are probably not good for something like this, rather than any reference to characters from other series.
I know the topic of "how safe are parodies of famous characters" came up before (when I was asked about porting Okédoké to OUYA and smartphones) and it seemed like the consensus was that obvious parodies (like Cap'n Crunch being a gang boss in Okédoké, or for an older example, Barney showing up as a giant demonic boss monster in Monterey Penguin) were probably okay. Fangames on the other hand, I know some of them (not OHR ones as far as I'm aware, but fangames in general) have definitely gotten in trouble with the makers of the original game in the past.

====

But yeah, this definitely seems like the sort of thing that would work better for "short, but complete and well-made" games rather than huge sprawling RPGs. Maybe it should include one or two "bigger RPGs" (Dungeonmen? maybe Vikings if it's finished?) and then a bunch of smaller games of various genres--at least one platformer, one puzzly game, one "shorter/weirder RPG" (maybe Baconthulhu could be this one, being roguelike-esque), and so on.

Oh, and Okédoké has an almost entirely ripped soundtrack (I think the title screen theme is safe, being an actual Mexican folk song if I'm remembering right, so it's probably public domain; there's also a couple of other songs that were things people uploaded as "free-to-use-if-you-give-credit" music... other than that, all ripped, though), so I figure it's not really the kind of thing you're looking for for this.
Last edited by FnrrfYgmSchnish on Mon Oct 13, 2014 4:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
FYS:AHS -- Working on Yagziknian NPC walkabout sprites
Spoonweaver
Liquid Metal King Slime

Post by Spoonweaver »

well, as far as ripped content goes, I think as long as it's mild it should be ok which would also go for fan content. Like, having Master Chief in your game is ok, but having a Halo game in the pack would be a bad idea I think. Having the sprite of one of the dragons from final fantasy in your game is passable, having only final fantasy graphics in the game might not be what we want for the bundle.

The music DOES bring up a good point though. It's a common practice to rip music here at the OHR. That said, maybe we should just go with that. If that's something we all do then showing that in games would be a good example of what we do here. That said, there are a lot of good open source music sources out there. I think we as a community should look into use them more.

Also, the Bundle will not be sold, but rather given away freely. Copyright infringing doesn't disqualify your game, I just personally feel that we should go that route. I'm open varying opinions on this point and if you really feel strongly about a certain game being included despite a large portion of ripped material or ideas I'm open to that.
Bob the Hamster
Lord of the Slimes

Post by Bob the Hamster »

Spoonweaver wrote: The music DOES bring up a good point though. It's a common practice to rip music here at the OHR. That said, maybe we should just go with that. If that's something we all do then showing that in games would be a good example of what we do here. That said, there are a lot of good open source music sources out there. I think we as a community should look into use them more.
The Google Play store does appear to be pretty lax about ripped music, but just ignoring it is risky, especially for whoever holds the google account that does the uploading of this game.

I know music ripping is common here, but there isn't much good reason for that anymore, with so many talented composers in the community, and so much free/public-domain/creative-commons music available and easy to find.
Meowskivich
Blubber Bloat

Post by Meowskivich »

why not using that music generator program....for those who's compu's will run it.
Spoonweaver
Liquid Metal King Slime

Post by Spoonweaver »

Indeed Meowskivich, I love CGmusic.
I didn't know some people were having trouble using it on their computers. If anyone wants I'd gladly set up a dozen or so songs for anyone that needs it. You can even tell me which options you'd like to have active during the generation.

That said, it might also be possible to get developers to possible update their games a bit for an OHR bundle release. Replacing music or something like that seems like it would be an easy task. There might already need to be a bit of work done on some of these for them to play perfectly on phones and such so a bit of extra work might be possible too.
Meowskivich
Blubber Bloat

Post by Meowskivich »

Spoonweaver wrote:Indeed Meowskivich, I love CGmusic.
I didn't know some people were having trouble using it on their computers. If anyone wants I'd gladly set up a dozen or so songs for anyone that needs it. You can even tell me which options you'd like to have active during the generation.

That said, it might also be possible to get developers to possible update their games a bit for an OHR bundle release. Replacing music or something like that seems like it would be an easy task. There might already need to be a bit of work done on some of these for them to play perfectly on phones and such so a bit of extra work might be possible too.
(I could use a couple tunes for my halloween shooter game, though that's not part of this)