-=Help! Broken plotscr.hsd!=-

Make games! Discuss those games here.

Moderators: Bob the Hamster, marionline, SDHawk

Taco Bot
Meat, Cheese, and Silicon

-=Help! Broken plotscr.hsd!=-

Post by Taco Bot »

I have the most recent version of the OHRRPGCE and the most recent Hamsterspeak compiler, but whenever I import a script I am faced with an ugly, dark red error stating that I "have included a copy of plotscr.hsd from an old release of the OHRRGPCE". :???: :( :zombie: I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling the OHRRPGCE, but to no avail! I would love some ideas you may have to fix it. I can't include much, other than a screenshot of the error, but I hope that will be ok.

Thanks a bundle.
Attachments
Here's the error.
Here's the error.
ErrorMessage.png (181.85 KiB) Viewed 594 times
Meowskivich
Blubber Bloat

Post by Meowskivich »

I can't help you with that, but I CAN help you with an avatar!
Download it for your use and awesomeness because I love tacos. And robots.

edit: ooookay, no idea what happened to the shadow when I exported it. Huh.
Attachments
tacobot.png
tacobot.png (9.03 KiB) Viewed 2160 times
Last edited by Meowskivich on Fri Jul 18, 2014 1:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
dOn'T MiNd mE! i'M jUsT CoNtAgIoUs!!!
Play Orbs CCG: http://orbsccg.com/r/4r6x :V
Bob the Hamster
Lord of the Slimes

Post by Bob the Hamster »

Welcome!

That screenshot is most helpful. I am sure we can get this issue resolved.

First things first, do you see a file named plotscr.hsd located in the same folder as your "destory malbox.hss" file?

If so, you should delete it.

If that does not help, let me know.
If that changes the error message, please post a new screenshot
Bob the Hamster
Lord of the Slimes

Okay, I got your reply.

Sinc ethere is no extra copy of plotscr.hsd in the directory with your script, the next thing to do is examine the plotscr.hsd file located in C:\OHRRPGCE\

Open it up with a text editor (notepad, or whatever is convenient)

The first few lines should look like this:

Code: Select all

# PLOTSCR.HSD
# This file holds the language definition for OHRRPGCE plotscripting.
# modifying this file may have undesired/disasterous effects,
# but reading it can be somewhat educational. Especially the constants.

# Use same capitalisation as HSpeak does, pad to length 3
plotscr version, begin
  "3P ",  # plotscr.hsd version number
  "3P "   # minimum supported version of hspeak
end

#--------------------------------------------------------------------------
# hard coded functions

define function, begin
If you see anything different than that at the top of the file, copy and paste it here
TMC
Metal King Slime

Re: -=Help! Broken plotscr.hsd!=-

Post by TMC »

HSpeak ought to print more information about the problem...
Taco Bot wrote:I have the most recent version of the OHRRPGCE and the most recent Hamsterspeak compiler
By "most recent" do you mean Beelzebufo, or a nightly build? Note that if you are using Beelzebufo you shouldn't download a nightly build of hspeak and plotscr.hsd.
Taco Bot

Post by Taco Bot »

Bob the Hamster wrote:Okay, I got your reply.

Sinc ethere is no extra copy of plotscr.hsd in the directory with your script, the next thing to do is examine the plotscr.hsd file located in C:\OHRRPGCE\

Open it up with a text editor (notepad, or whatever is convenient)

The first few lines should look like this:

# PLOTSCR.HSD
# This file holds the language definition for OHRRPGCE plotscripting.
# modifying this file may have undesired/disasterous effects,
# but reading it can be somewhat educational. Especially the constants.

# Use same capitalisation as HSpeak does, pad to length 3
plotscr version, begin
  "3P ",  # plotscr.hsd version number
  "3P "   # minimum supported version of hspeak
end

#--------------------------------------------------------------------------
# hard coded functions

define function, begin
If you see anything different than that at the top of the file, copy and paste it here
Nope. It's exactly the same.
Sent from my iPhone
Taco Bot

Re: -=Help! Broken plotscr.hsd!=-

Post by Taco Bot »

TMC wrote:HSpeak ought to print more information about the problem...
Taco Bot wrote:I have the most recent version of the OHRRPGCE and the most recent Hamsterspeak compiler
By "most recent" do you mean Beelzebufo, or a nightly build? Note that if you are using Beelzebufo you shouldn't download a nightly build of hspeak and plotscr.hsd.
I mean Beelzebufo. And v3Pe of the hspeak isn't nightly, is it?
Sent from my iPhone
Bob the Hamster
Lord of the Slimes

Taco Bot wrote:Nope. It's exactly the same.
What I posted was from my own plotscr.hsd which is nightly wip
Taco Bot wrote:I mean Beelzebufo. And v3Pe of the hspeak isn't nightly, is it?
This does sound like a case of mixing beelzebufo files with nightly wip files
Taco Bot

Post by Taco Bot »

Bob the Hamster wrote:
Taco Bot wrote:Nope. It's exactly the same.
What I posted was from my own plotscr.hsd which is nightly wip
Taco Bot wrote:I mean Beelzebufo. And v3Pe of the hspeak isn't nightly, is it?
This does sound like a case of mixing beelzebufo files with nightly wip files
Is there any way that I could just download the Beelzebufo plotscr?
Sent from my iPhone
Bob the Hamster
Lord of the Slimes

Sure! You will find it inside this zip file: http://hamsterrepublic.com/dl/ohrrpgce.zip
Taco Bot

Post by Taco Bot »

Is the version of hspeak.exe included in the zip supposed to be 3Pe? And is ther plotscr.hsd supposed to be version 3P? Because if not it might be a problem with the download.
Last edited by Taco Bot on Sat Jul 19, 2014 5:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
Sent from my iPhone
TMC
Metal King Slime

Post by TMC »

Hspeak 3Pe is the Beelzebufo version. (Nightly is 3Rg)

Both nightly and Beelzebufo versions of plotscr.hsd have identical headers giving the version number as "3P ". Because of which, in fact either of them should compile without showing that error.

Hang on, I've just remembered what the problem is. You forgot to put "include, plotscr.hsd" in your script! You're far from the first person to get confused by this buggy error message. In fact just two days after Beelzebufo was released we fixed (nightly builds of) HSpeak to show the right error message. Sorry about that.
Last edited by TMC on Sat Jul 19, 2014 7:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
Taco Bot

Post by Taco Bot »

TMC wrote:Hspeak 3Pe is the Beelzebufo version. (Nightly is 3Rg)

Both nightly and Beelzebufo versions of plotscr.hsd have identical headers giving the version number as "3P ". Because of which, in fact either of them should compile without showing that error.

Hang on, I've just remembered what the problem is. You forgot to put "include, plotscr.hsd" in your script! You're far from the first person to get confused by this buggy error message. In fact just two days after Beelzebufo was released we fixed (nightly builds of) HSpeak to show the right error message. Sorry about that.
Thank you so much, but how exactly would I put "include, plotscr.hsd" in the script?
Sent from my iPhone
Pepsi Ranger
Liquid Metal Slime

Post by Pepsi Ranger »

Taco Bot wrote:Thank you so much, but how exactly would I put "include, plotscr.hsd" in the script?
You have to type it, exactly as TMC wrote it. Usually you do it at the top of your script.

Whenever you "include," you're telling the compiler to use all of these files in the compiling process. Here's an example from one of my games. Note the use of the pound sign (the hashtag if you're under 20). Use that whenever you want to make a note to yourself.

#This is the plotscript file for The Adventures of Powerstick Man: The Extended Edition.
#It is a direct continuation of Version 1.

#new start location: Map 39, X 40, Y 73

include, plotscr.hsd
include, powerxe.hsi
include, scancode.hsi
include, "animation scripts.txt"
include, "cheeseball flight.txt"
include, functions.txt

define script (1,Intro,none)
You'll notice that the pound signs are there to label important notes to myself, including the fact that this plotscript belongs to this game, and not another game I'm working on. While this probably isn't necessary, it does help if I have old and new versions of a script (whereas the old one works, but the new one is experimental and could potentially break everything).

The "includes" are what HSpeak is going to compile when you select a plotscript file in the editor. You'll notice the top three, the ones marked .HS(D,I). They are essential for getting your plotscript to work.

Plotscr.hsd is the plotscript dictionary. Without this, none of your commands will work, and the compiler will think everything you just wrote is nonsense.

Game.hsi (in this example, my game's prefix is powerxe) is the list of constants that are exclusive to your game. You have to export this from time to time to keep your compiling efforts up-to-date. Every time you add a song, a map, an attack, etc., you're creating a new identity for Game.hsi that you can use as a constant. This is especially important if you want to play your song with "play song (song:intro)" instead of "play song (0)."

Note: You can export your game's HSI from the same menu where you import and compile plotscripts.

Scancode.hsi is the script you need to use better key IDs in those fancy "key is pressed" scripts. Your script will compile without this as long as you don't use "key:P" anywhere. Otherwise you'll need it. It's probably best to include it anyway, even if you never use it.

The other three files are personal files I've created to use scripts as functions. Unless you want to do some complicated scripting, you probably won't need to include anything beyond the scancode.hsi. But the point is that I can use special functions in this main script because I've included separate files that define what those functions (written as plotscripts) are supposed to do.

Including multiple plotscript files is a good idea if you want to stay organized.

Note: The two files in quotations are there to tell the compiler that the filename is longer than one word (or is it 8 characters?) but is still okay to compile. I don't think you have to do that anymore, but there was a time when you did.

"Define script" is an old syntax way of identifying plotscripts in the editor and is obsolete. I keep mine because it's easier for me to find them when I assign them in the editor, but you don't need to worry about those.

Hope that helps.
Place Obligatory Signature Here
TMC
Metal King Slime

Post by TMC »

There's really no reason that we can't make hspeak include plotscr.hsd, scancode.hsi, and the .hsi file exported from the game by default if the user forgets.
Note: The two files in quotations are there to tell the compiler that the filename is longer than one word (or is it 8 characters?) but is still okay to compile. I don't think you have to do that anymore, but there was a time when you did.
Yes, using quote marks is now optional.