Voting for 2014's OFFICIAL OHRRPGCE RANDOM COLAB CONTEST

Make games! Discuss those games here.

Moderators: Bob the Hamster, marionline, SDHawk

Which Team is your favorite? (not based on their game)

Team: The Master Kactus (TMC & Master K)
No votes
Team: Phemr (Pheonix & BMR)
20%
Team: Itchy & Sdratchy (Ichiro & SDhawk)
10%
Team: Spy (RMSephy & marionline)
No votes
Team: NoSho Gomo (Momoka & The Giz)
70%

Total votes: 10

Spoonweaver
Liquid Metal King Slime

Voting for 2014's OFFICIAL OHRRPGCE RANDOM COLAB CONTEST

Post by Spoonweaver »

Welcome to the voting thread for this contest! I hope you'll spend some time playing these games and let us know how you liked them. Also, it would be great if you could vote for the winner of the contest.

Here's how to vote:
1. Play all the games listed below
2. Rank them in order with the first game being the one you think is best
3. Post in this thread or PM here on slimesalad your private vote

You have until March 20th to vote, at which point the winner will be the team with the best average rank.

PRIZES:
The contestants on teams that didn't win will reward the winners with at least 1 piece of fan art they have made based on the winning team's game.
They will also then go out and tell at least 1 person outside of the community about the winning developers and all the games they've made to date.

Unfortunately, not every team finished the contest. Momoka and Giz sadly dropped out so you wont be playing or voting for a game of theirs. They wont be required to reward the winners like the rest of the contestants, but are welcomed to do so. That said several other OHR members have stepped up to provide the winners with Fan Art even thought they themselves were not in the contest. We all look forward to that. Lastly, it seems some of the games aren't complete done yet, with TMC's still not being submitted. Because of this I've decided to count 2 votes as being in the order the games were submitted in. Also because of this you may wish to hold off a bit till the developers comment on the games completion level. You can also simply play the games as they are presented now and vote accordingly, it's your choice. Anyways, without further reading, here are the games!
EDIT: At this point, all contest games are uploaded and ready to play. They all have quite a lot of scripting, so be sure to use their included .exe
EDIT: Just to make things clear, if you entered the contest dont vote for your own game. Also, in order for things to be fair, everyone who did enter a game into the contest is required to vote or their entry will incur a penalty.

THE GAMES

[game]Dungeon Cards: The Flying City[/game]
by Team: Itchy & Sdratchy (Ichiro & SDhawk)

[game]The Location v0.8[/game]
by Team: Phemr (Pheonix & BMR)

[game]Spy Game[/game]
Team: Spy (RMSephy & marionline)

[game]Carcere Vicis[/game]
Team: The Master Kactus (TMC & Master K)
Last edited by Spoonweaver on Thu Mar 06, 2014 3:16 am, edited 7 times in total.
SDHawk
Metal Slime

Post by SDHawk »

[s]So apparently two people reported infinite loop crashes when dying in Dungeon Cards last night (Spoon and marionline). However, I cannot re-create them. Even when deliberately dying on the exact same first boss no crash occurred. If anyone gets this error please post a screenshot (of the script error message) and let me know if you used the included game.exe.

Update 1: Apparently it has to do with hitting buttons while dying. So uh. Press buttons slowly on death. Will see if I can fix it entirely.[/s]

Update 2: Fixed it! Go download the new version. Special thanks to James for pointing out what the error was and how to fix it.
Last edited by SDHawk on Mon Mar 03, 2014 5:19 pm, edited 4 times in total.
TMC
Metal King Slime

Post by TMC »

Better days late than a no show?

Sorry for exploiting our host's leniency. I feel pretty bad about that. However at least it is quite complete (though unfortunately I didn't get to use a bunch of graphics Master K drew). We're not going to do any large revisions during the voting window, aside from bug fixes and probably balance fixes as well.

Still haven't peeked at other people's games.
Gizmog
Metal King Slime

Post by Gizmog »

I object to ANY changes/balance/bugfixes during the voting period, even though for some reason every contest allows it. We gotta all be voting on the same thing, it's not fair for one guy to vote on Hawk 0.1, BMR 0.7 and TMC 1.4, and then another guy to vote on Hawk 1.8, BMR 0.9 and TMC 1.4. Don't play it like that!
sheamkennedy
Liquid Metal Slime

Post by sheamkennedy »

I attempted to play the contest games but I'm running in to a few problems. Using the latest OHRRPGCE Nightly, I have run in to a problem with every game I've played.

>carcere-vicis brings up a window which warns me that my OHRRPGCE will not support the scripts. And gives me an error instantly after opening.

>Dungeon cards does the same thing almost

>location allows me to play but right after the tutorial ends and I choose an action t perform, the 'action button' does not let me click where I want to move to or attack. I would assume the action button is the space bar or enter, either way I've attempted every button on my keyboard.

>spygame allows me to play but I get a bunch of script errors when attempting to disguise myself and then talk to people.

And I'm assuming the fifth team is either late on their game or left the contest since I can't find a game in the gamelist.

To mediate these problems I tried redownloading the nightly in case min was not up to date. This did not solve any problems. I also tried downloading the latest regular version of OHRRPGCE which is beezelbufo for Mac and that does not work for the games either. I don't really want to vote until I can atleast play a good portion of each game.
⊕ P E R S O N A L M U S I C: https://open.spotify.com/album/6fEo3fCm5C3XhtFRflfANr
� C O L L A B M U S I C: https://dustpuppets.bandcamp.com/releases
Bob the Hamster
Lord of the Slimes

Post by Bob the Hamster »

sheamkennedy wrote:Using the latest OHRRPGCE Nightly, I have run in to a problem with every game I've played.
What is the exact version number of your nightly build?
TMC
Metal King Slime

Post by TMC »

Strange, it appears that the Mac nightly is getting built nightly as normal.

(I don't think anyone has done this, but I may as well mention that if you use the Distribute Menu export as Mac app from Windows, it won't use the latest nightly)
Gizmog wrote:I object to ANY changes/balance/bugfixes during the voting period, even though for some reason every contest allows it. We gotta all be voting on the same thing, it's not fair for one guy to vote on Hawk 0.1, BMR 0.7 and TMC 1.4, and then another guy to vote on Hawk 1.8, BMR 0.9 and TMC 1.4. Don't play it like that!
Considering that BMR & Feenicks just released what they had at roughly the deadline, while I ignored it and kept going until the game was releasable, I can't complain about other teams putting up updates. But I take back what I said and am going to avoid making changes. If it turns out to be a bug ridden mess (I don't know that yet) then I guess that's what it should be rated as.
sheamkennedy
Liquid Metal Slime

Post by sheamkennedy »

Bob the Hamster wrote:
sheamkennedy wrote:Using the latest OHRRPGCE Nightly, I have run in to a problem with every game I've played.
What is the exact version number of your nightly build?
My mistake, I somehow managed to download the latest mac nightly but somehow opened the game with the earlier nightly. So far I've played through spygame twice and know that it works well.

I still had the same problem with "location" though... and I've yet to try the other games again but probably will in a day or two.
⊕ P E R S O N A L M U S I C: https://open.spotify.com/album/6fEo3fCm5C3XhtFRflfANr
Spoonweaver
Liquid Metal King Slime

Post by Spoonweaver »

Alright!
So far I've played a bit into all the games and I can assure everyone that they all work just fine with their included .exe files. Please keep in mind when voting that each game IS already receiving votes based solely on their release order. So please don't take a game's release time or updates into account for your own votes.

Dungeon Cards: The Flying City
It's pretty interesting.The game is fun, decently original and seems pretty complete. However, some of the battle graphics are pretty jarring.

The Location v0.8
This game is pretty interesting. I did have to go back and read that I had to use the END key to confirm actions. Not sure about the reasoning behind having players switch from the spacebar/enterkey to the end key.

Spy Game
This game's disguise mechanic really got me interested. However, the large spaces with little to nothing in them were a big let down exploration wise.

Carcere Vicis
This seems like a pretty solid traditional roguelike. It's a bit harsh and could use some more variety in it's randomized elements.

I'm going to go back and play them all some more before voting.
Last edited by Spoonweaver on Wed Mar 05, 2014 12:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bob the Hamster
Lord of the Slimes

Post by Bob the Hamster »

I played all the games last night, although I have not beaten any of them yet. I will reserve my comments until I have played more, but I just wanted to congratulate everybody on their good work on making such an interesting variety of games. So far the overall level of buggyness has been much lower than I expected considering all the talk I heard on IRC :)
SDHawk
Metal Slime

Post by SDHawk »

1. Spygame

Thoroughly enjoyed this despite a few crash bugs here and there. It's also short and simple to a fault, you don't really get to play with the core mechanic all that much. Particularly in my case I stumbled into the primary solution without even seeing all the hints leading up to it 'cause I was too afraid to explore that much out of fear of building up my chance of discovery (maybe let people know it isn't Game Over if it hits 100% ahead of time?).

The bad/good ends were also a little too black and white for my taste- if it's that easy to get out of the service then doesn't that render the tension of the decision almost moot? Regardless, I enjoyed my time with it and the gradual revelation of the mystery.

2. Carcere Vicis

After I got a battle axe on my warrior somewhere in the caves I pretty much proceeded to demolish this game from start to finish (somewhere around the abyss I ceased taking damage with just chainmail armor?).

Lots of bugs abound. I'm still not sure what I was even supposed to do in the forest and had to use the debug keys to unlock the next area. Couple different cases of errors popping up, NPC textboxes appearing under the log after loading a save, had to drop and then pick up to correctly stack the 3 item you're collecting, found a sword that did 800-600 damage (LITERALLY a range of 800-600) towards the end that REALLY demolished everything. There were some cool moments like dimension shifting in the mountain or dimension shifting to uncover that boss in that one place. But I don't really understand dimension shifting as a whole since as a warrior there wasn't much reason to ever shift to any place other than Virtus unless a secret was telegraphed, and it doesn't cost that much to shift so I was basically filled up on all shift points for most of the game? Which is kind of weird to be max "level" so early on? Maybe the mechanic works differently than what I understood. In any case, not that much variety in gameplay- just smash n' grab. Might have been more interesting if I had went wizard.

3. The Location v0.8

I get the same stuck on the borders of space bug as everyone else, so I can't really play this game. Kind of a shame the team didn't take an extra day like TMC to make their game playable, 'cause the penalty for being late is a lot lighter than the penalty of being on time and unplayable.

Also I assume the reason you use the awkward END key to confirm is because you're afraid of one button press being registered as multiple? Just use keyval(key) == 3, dude.
Last edited by SDHawk on Wed Mar 05, 2014 11:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sheamkennedy
Liquid Metal Slime

Post by sheamkennedy »

So I finally figured out what the action key is on my computer for the game "location." Since I'm on an old macbook which lacks the "end key" I instead have to click "Fn + Left Arrow" which is super tedious. Let's just say I could not play for more than 5 minutes without getting super frustrated and quitting. I was pretty excited for that game too, the concept sounds great, art is awesome. This game should totally become a full size game so long as the functionality is improved.
Willy Elektrix
Liquid Metal Slime

Post by Willy Elektrix »

I put between 30 minutes and 90 minutes into each of these games. Every one of the games is pretty high concept. There is no shortage of ambition this contest. My ratings are below.

1) Dungeon Cards: The concept is novel and learning to play is very intuitive. The level of polish and balance is high. I enjoyed the fact that sometimes I had to grind to beat the next stack of floors. The party building and equipment systems area nice combination of elegance and flexibility. I will probably play this more.

Bug Report: I was confused by the fact that you have to press ESC after you die to return to town from the red screen. I spent half a minute tapping enter before I realized what I was supposed to do.

2) Spy Game: I thought this was going to be really fun based on the first ten minutes. Disguising yourself and talking to different people is interesting but there just wasn't enough content for me become really immersed. It needs a bigger world, more people, and a more involved plot. Also, there are not enough ways to interact with the world other than talking to people and picking locks.

3) Carcere Vicis: This feels like a good start to great game. Unfortunately, in its current state it is mostly boring. Switching between dimensions is clever idea, but there is little motivation to do it other than a few required moments. Also the game is so unbalanced that it becomes very easy to thoughtlessly decimate any enemy. It would be nice if TMC or Master K would continue developing this.

Bug Report: One game, I found a bug where there wasn't a stairway down past the 3rd floor of the caves.

4) Location: This feels way too ambitious for a contest of this sort. I admire the creators' intent, but the games current state is unplayable. The UI is a mess and there is too little structure and incentive to provide players a direction to pursue. This could be a really great game, but only after tons and tons of work.
Last edited by Willy Elektrix on Tue Mar 11, 2014 2:47 am, edited 2 times in total.
Spoonweaver
Liquid Metal King Slime

Post by Spoonweaver »

At first I was going to hold back my vote so that the results would more surprising. However, after receiving a voting through pm, I've decided to go ahead ans share my thoughts.

1) Carcere Vicis
Graphics - 6/10
Gameplay - 9/10
Concept - 5/10
Overall- 20/30
Master K's graphics are really improving and it shows here. They aren't the best or anything, but their charm adds to the game for sure. The Gameplay is where this game shines. This is the game that I had the most fun playing. I actually went back and played this again to completion twice in order to check out the other classes. The concept however is pretty standard. This game plays pretty much like every other roguelike. The major creative concept of the game, the dimension shifting, actually doesn't add much to the game.

2) Spy Game
Graphics - 9/10
Gameplay - 4/10
Concept - 6/10
Overall- 19/30
This game looks great. I'd say the only thing that keeps this game at a graphic rating of 9 instead of a ten in my eyes is the amount of empty space. The amount of empty space in the game also hurt in the gameplay department. I feel like the game really needed more to do in order to be fun. I really ran out of stuff to explore within about 10 minutes of playing. The concept itself was pretty neat, but it just felt like a small idea that would have been great as part of a bigger game. By itself, it was neat, but there wasn't too much to it.

3) Dungeon Cards
Graphics - 3/10
Gameplay - 6/10
Concept - 7/10
Overall- 16/30
The graphics in this game are pretty jarring. Some of the battle sprites actually just look like place holder graphics and there's not even that many of them. The graphics did all work on a functional level though and the cards themselves were pretty decent looking. The game itself was decently fun. It got pretty repetitive though and most of the choices of whether to skip a card or take the card seemed like no brainers. The concept wasn't too bad, but the game needed more variety in order to really shine in my opinion.

4) Location
Graphics - 8/10
Gameplay - 1/10
Concept - 4/10
Overall- 13/30
This game looked great. The planets look like something made at the professional level. However the sketched parts seemed out of place. The gameplay was almost non-existent. I was pretty bummed after a few days of waiting to find out the game still wasn't in a state where I could get past the first couple of space ship battles. Like people have said it's almost unplayable. I'd like to give the game a higher score in the concept department however, you can't really get to what I've been told are some of the game's stronger points. That and the space ship fights seem a bit simple to me. It's a little hard to explain, but basically there's not much use of a tactical environment if there's only 1 ship attacking another ship and they both only have 1 mode of attack. There's a lot of menu items but not a whole lot of actual options.
Last edited by Spoonweaver on Tue Mar 11, 2014 8:58 am, edited 5 times in total.
TMC
Metal King Slime

Post by TMC »

The most serious bug in Carcere Vicis is the balance, in particular you soon become invincible (including 100% dodge chance). The second most serious bug is that 16% of the time there's no exit to the Forest, and stairs may rarely be missing on other maps too. Of course there are numerous other bugs, but I actually haven't encountered most of them myself, so I don't know if I've managed to fix some underlying causes (bugfix release sometime soon, hopefully).

Regarding the phase shifting and it's lack of interest/importance, to some extent it's a victim of the non-balancing. For example one idea was that you might switch regularly between different element/phase to weaken certain dangerous enemies (which is implemented but doesn't matter), or for other benefits like seeing enemies, sneaking around enemies, healing, scroll use (all implemented but don't matter). However I have to admit that having the phase do lots of different things, and having it be a mystery just what it does, plus confusion with the similar charge meters, is not terribly good design. I'll have to rethink and probably simplify.

----

What what happened to all the voting? It's March 15th, and Spoonweaver aimed to end voting around now. All contestants were meant to vote.

Picking the game for the number 1 spot was really hard. I think not only are both games great, fun, and novel, but they're also completely different, so hard to compare. I thought about it for over a week, but couldn't make up my mind.

1st (tie): Dungeon Cards
I thought this was very well designed and mostly very well balanced, and fun. I played it for quite a long time. There are so many different real trade-offs you have to make as you play the game, and yet they are all easy to understand, and it's very quick to pick up despite the notable lack of any help at all.

In normal model, the difficulty goes up and down quite a bit during the game; I found it hardest in the middle, due to the Nightriders. And stunning is much worse than muting, so I think their presentation was back to front. Unfortunately on the last 5 floors 'grinding' for even a minute (assuming you manage to escape the dungeon that soon, which comes down to luck, rather annoying) will get you a lot of gold that you can use to buy very good equipment that immediately makes the rest of the game very easy. I managed to beat the final boss with my Doctor taken away by a hand, and only one or two healing items.

I just beat the game in hard mode. I think the difficulty is quite good in hard, except that the last 10 floors are too grindy. It's mostly down to patience. Both the last bosses are nicely difficult, but it can be a pain to get to them with a party in good shape (took me multiple tries).

I think there's a lot of unevenness between the different classes, though Hawk assures me that they're all tested to be viable. I used mainly the Doctor and Rifleman or Chemist in normal mode, and Doctor or Hunter or Locksmith in hard (heavy armour is a bit overpowered). Then I beat the final boss in Hard with a Monk and Priest; unfortunately the Monk's buffing does jack all.

My main complaint with this game is that there's too little variation in the battles; only two formations per set of 5 floors, and you tend to see one of those more than the other. The battles got pretty annoying by the end of Hard mode. When you've seen each a few times it becomes just a sap of HP and MP, turning into a time waster.

Another complaint is that the beginning of the game promises a story, but the entire rest of the plot is only about 3 more textboxes, and rather uninteresting at that.

1st (tie): Spy Game
This game is finished and polished, and I think that counts for a great deal. Plus of course the graphics, story, and novelty. I didn't find the length much of a problem because I tend to want to experiment, trying to find all the main branches, so it took me a relatively long time to see even a single ending.

I'm surprised you can't get caught picking locks in the lab (or am I wrong about that?)

You get an error from readzone reading off the edge of the map if you press the use key on one of the left walls in the lab.

3rd: The Location
There isn't much I can say about this; like Master K and I, BMR and Feenicks ended up not reaching the potential of their game due to being way too ambitious. Carcere Vicis would look a LOT worse than The Location if I hadn't put in crazy hours to repair my mistake.

Unfortunately I actually didn't find the battles that you can get into interesting at all because there's almost nothing to do, but it's probably unfair to complain about it when I haven't seen combat in the game proper. I know that boarding ships was cut, which would be a cool feature. But does your position matter for anything else?
Last edited by TMC on Fri Mar 14, 2014 12:34 pm, edited 2 times in total.