No post mode specified: Let's fix the upload problems

Make games! Discuss those games here.

Moderators: Bob the Hamster, marionline, SDHawk

Mogri
Super Slime

No post mode specified: Let's fix the upload problems

Post by Mogri »

I have reports of this from at least three people now. I've never seen it personally, and I have a few questions for the people who are experiencing these problems.

1. What browser are you using?
2. How large is the file you're uploading?
3. How long does it take between hitting the submit button and getting the error page?
4. Are you able to upload smaller files (e.g. images) using the same browser/OS that gives you the error?
5. What is the URL in your address bar before and after you attempt to upload?

Thanks for your help, and hopefully we can get this resolved quickly.
Last edited by Mogri on Wed Feb 19, 2014 1:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
Pepsi Ranger
Liquid Metal Slime

Post by Pepsi Ranger »

1. What browser are you using?
Firefox
2. How large is the file you're uploading?
zip file (87.1 MB)
3. How long does it take between hitting the submit button and getting the error page?
About eight minutes.
4. Are you able to upload smaller files (e.g. images) using the same browser/OS that gives you the error?
I've never had a problem uploading images. Still don't.
5. What is the URL in your address bar before and after you attempt to upload?
Before: (I'll PM this since it has an editing tag in the address.)

After: http://www.slimesalad.com/forum/posting.php
Place Obligatory Signature Here
Willy Elektrix
Liquid Metal Slime

Re: No post mode specified: Let's fix the upload problems

Post by Willy Elektrix »

1) Firefox 27.0.1

2) 12MB

3) 10 minutes

4) Uploading images is fine.

5) I'll try again tomorrow and post the answer to this question.
Last edited by Willy Elektrix on Wed Feb 19, 2014 4:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mogri
Super Slime

Post by Mogri »

Wow, those times are even longer than I expected. That is very likely the cause of this problem. By default in phpBB, your session times out after five minutes. If you don't have "Remember Me" checked, then it would send you to a login screen instead of back to the Edit Post interface.

Try one more thing before I do any code changes: while you're uploading, open another tab in the same browser and fart around on the forum until your upload finishes. You don't have to actively do anything; just make sure you click on something every minute or so.
jcenterprises
Slime Knight

Post by jcenterprises »

Mogri wrote:Wow, those times are even longer than I expected. That is very likely the cause of this problem. By default in phpBB, your session times out after five minutes. If you don't have "Remember Me" checked, then it would send you to a login screen instead of back to the Edit Post interface.

Try one more thing before I do any code changes: while you're uploading, open another tab in the same browser and fart around on the forum until your upload finishes. You don't have to actively do anything; just make sure you click on something every minute or so.
Tried clicking around in a different tab, it still resulted in the "No post mode specified" message.
Mogri
Super Slime

Post by Mogri »

OK, one more request. If you're getting this error, change the "/forum" in your address bar to "/forum-devo" and try again. It will give you an error dump if it fails again. Please PM me the contents of that error dump. (Don't post them in this thread.)
Mogri
Super Slime

Post by Mogri »

OK, I've figured out the source of the problem. The max upload size was reset (to 7MB) when I upgraded PHP versions a few months ago.

Bear with me and this should be fixed later today.
Mogri
Super Slime

Post by Mogri »

Apologies for the service interruption. You should now be able to upload files up to 90MB in size.

Please let me know if you continue to get the error.
TMC
Metal King Slime

Post by TMC »

Mogri wrote:Apologies for the service interruption. You should now be able to upload files up to 90MB in size.
I'm pretty sure Powerstick Man is getting to get a lot larger!
Pepsi Ranger
Liquid Metal Slime

Post by Pepsi Ranger »

TMC wrote:I'm pretty sure Powerstick Man is getting to get a lot larger!
Yeah, and not just that, but the "Allowed Extensions and Sizes" hyperlink takes us to a screen that tells us that zips, rars, etc. can accept up to 125MB files.
Place Obligatory Signature Here
Mogri
Super Slime

Post by Mogri »

I'm not certain, but I think 125 MB is at or near the limit of what I can allow without dedicated hosting. It says 125 MB because that's how it's configured within phpBB, but that has nothing to do with the server configuration.
Bob the Hamster
Lord of the Slimes

Post by Bob the Hamster »

It pays to be careful about filesize on a shared host.

I also use dreamhost, and when I started uploading 3 gigabyte minecraft world backup files, they let it slide for a couple months and then they sent me a sternly worded letter telling me I had to remove them or risk getting my account cancelled.
TMC
Metal King Slime

Post by TMC »

So shared hosts like dreamhost don't have an amount of disk space specified in the plan?
Bob the Hamster
Lord of the Slimes

Post by Bob the Hamster »

TMC wrote:So shared hosts like dreamhost don't have an amount of disk space specified in the plan?
They used to have a specific limit. It was gradually increased bit at a time. Then one day they e-mailed everybody and said "Hey! No more disk limites ever! Yay!" but hidden in the fine print was now a rule that you couldn't host certain kinds of data, particularly anything that looks like "personal backup data"
Willy Elektrix
Liquid Metal Slime

Post by Willy Elektrix »

TMC wrote:I'm pretty sure Powerstick Man is getting to get a lot larger!
I've been interested in trying Powerstick Man but have been holding out for the new version. Could it be coming soon...?

:o