OFFICIAL OHRRPGCE RANDOM COLAB CONTEST

Make games! Discuss those games here.

Moderators: Bob the Hamster, marionline, SDHawk

Spoonweaver
Liquid Metal King Slime

OFFICIAL OHRRPGCE RANDOM COLAB CONTEST

Post by Spoonweaver »

CONTEST:
This is the OFFICIAL OHRRPGCE RANDOM COLAB CONTEST SIGN UP THREAD. Please sign up here for the OFFICIAL OHRRPGCE RANDOM COLAB CONTEST. This year the OFFICIAL OHRRPGCE RANDOM COLAB CONTEST will be held during the last 2 weeks of February. People have until the 15th of February to sign up for the OFFICIAL OHRRPGCE RANDOM COLAB CONTEST. And then till March 1st to turn in their entry. Please sign up for the OFFICIAL OHRRPGCE RANDOM COLAB CONTEST by posting on this thread by writing something like, "I'm signing up". You may also sign up by getting in contact with me in some other way, if you're shy or something.

For those of you that don't know, or those of you that do and perhaps would like me to explain more anyways so things aren't super vague and shady, the OFFICIAL OHRRPGCE RANDOM COLAB CONTEST is a video game development contest being hosted here at Slimesalad. Contestants will sign up and then be randomly paired up with another contestant. These pairs will then work together as teams to develop a game within the contest's time frame. In order for the game to be accepted, both team members must have worked on the game and agree to enter the game as their team's entry. Also, the game has to be developed using the OHRRPGCE.

Contestants of last year's contest have asked me to limit the contestants to those people that have at least uploaded a single game in the past at some point, so they have some sort of idea of their potential team's game development abilities. So please keep this in mind.

Choosing the Winners:
A voting thread will be posted on this forum starting in march, and remain active until about half way through march. Like March 15th I guess. The game with the most votes will win the prize.

PRIZES:
The first prize of the contest is fan art from all the other contestants. This means, that by entering you agree to the possibility of being forced to draw fan art of the game that wins and delivering it to the winners somehow (possibly by posting it on this forum). Failure to do so will result in banishment from the internet.

The second prize of the contest is word of mouth marketing from all the other contestants. This means, that by entering you agree to the possibility of being forced to tell at least one person outside of the OHR community of the team's game. Failure to do so will result in banishment from the internet.

Current Sign Ups
RMSephy
Pheonix
Master K
Momoka
SDhawk
The Giz
Ichiro
marionline
TMC
BMR

TEAMS

Team: The Master Kactus
TMC & Master K

Team: Gomo Momo
Momoka & The Giz

Team: Spy
RMSephy & marionline

Team: Phemr
BMR & Pheonix

Team: Itchy & Sdratchy
SDhawk & Ichiro
Last edited by Spoonweaver on Mon Mar 03, 2014 12:25 am, edited 17 times in total.
TMC
Metal King Slime

Post by TMC »

I had totally forgotten about this, and the extension to two weeks this time. I like these crowd sourced prizes. And note that there's an additional prize for winning: you don't have to draw fanart!

I'm going to have to wait until closer to the start date to know if I can justify signing up this one. March 1st happens to be a deadline for something else I may have to shoot for.
Last edited by TMC on Mon Feb 03, 2014 9:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
Diretooth
Red Slime

Post by Diretooth »

While this sounds like fun and I would join the collab if I knew what I was doing, (especially since it would mean I could have a more experienced person teach me the program,) I must decline and watch from afar so that I don't drag someone else down. (Plus, I suck at fan-art.)

EDIT: Wait, what are the standards for the games? Could we use whatever music we wanted, such as music from other games, (credit given, of course,) or would we have to find music not found in commercial games? Could we use pre-made graphics, or would we have to make them from scratch?
In the spoiler is me rambling my thoughts on if I should or shouldn't join.
My strong suit with game-making is story-writing, finding good music for in-game situations (and looping said music into good .ogg vorbis files), though I cannot make music, and I'm still a noob at making sprites, plus I have a tendency to over-think things and also have a tendency to be a perfectionist with games. Plus, there's the fact that I've never done a collab with anyone, much less a person I barely know who would depend on me to assist them.
I would do my damned best to win, if not for the sake of myself, then the sake of my partner. There's also the aspect of this being an excellent learning opportunity with working with a person I might not like.

Dangit, now I'm getting game ideas. Perhaps a short game, short main quest, lots of interesting side quests with details to the backstory of the main character... How would I even do the battle scenes? Is it ATB or something? Would we have to script in an ATB system? Ooh! CTB system! Maybe even a A^2TB system! But that would require a lot of work, more than two people could handle. CTB would be interesting to try, but there would have to be scripting. Lots of it.

But then there's the factor of me being utterly new to the program. I can navigate fine enough, but most of the stuff is foreign to me. Dang RPG Maker and its user-friendly interface...
Some waffles would be good right now, perhaps some marionberry syrup...
Hmm... Suppose I get paired with someone who is so skilled that I get in the way... But suppose that I get paired with someone who is as skilled as I am... Instant forfeit right there, unless we're both equally stubborn...

I should probably tell a joke in here, or perhaps my mad ramblings is amusing enough for them.

Dog food lid. Heh...
Last edited by Diretooth on Mon Feb 03, 2014 10:49 am, edited 4 times in total.
May the Moon light your path, and the Shadows hide you from your prey.

Posgagen urzefa Posyosriig ahgesqizeur genyouldr Jiikyouldr, gariigig urzefa Sazegaigyouldsa zegesigfe genyould fr'yopos genyouldr jiikrfagen.
RMSephy
Metal Slime

Post by RMSephy »

I'll chip in for this collab contest. My specialty is plotscripting and drawing fan art.
Spoonweaver
Liquid Metal King Slime

Post by Spoonweaver »

@Diretooth:
Though I'm not the biggest fan of what I call ripped graphics or music, it won't disqualify an entry or a pre-entry game. However, I suspect it won't reflect positively on the ones doing it.

Also, try not to rush a game with the sole purpose of qualifying to enter this contest. If you have something half made and you want to do a bunch of work on it quickly and upload it half done before the contest so people can see what you're capable of, I'll allow it. But, this might not be the contest for you. Not to pull a billy goats gruff, but there is a bigger contest coming later in the year that should be a better place to debut.
Diretooth
Red Slime

Post by Diretooth »

Probably. It's logical that I would work to learn the nuances of the program before doing anything major, such as a tag-team collab.
May the Moon light your path, and the Shadows hide you from your prey.

Posgagen urzefa Posyosriig ahgesqizeur genyouldr Jiikyouldr, gariigig urzefa Sazegaigyouldsa zegesigfe genyould fr'yopos genyouldr jiikrfagen.
Feenicks
Metal Slime

Post by Feenicks »

You know what, I think I'll be able to find some time for this. Count me in.
Master K
King Slime

Post by Master K »

I would kindly like to enter this contest.

My stronger points are story writing and graphics.
My weaker point is scripting, but if you cannot script either, I can manage. I have basic knowledge of plotscripting, and some variable manipulation.

Sorry I suck future partner

I'm down for fanart, I just hope you appreciate my style.

I'm also able to spout ideas for games, and if I feel like it I can get a lot done quickly.
Gizmog
Metal King Slime

Post by Gizmog »

Can the fan-art be derogatory or spiteful in nature?
Meowskivich
Blubber Bloat

Post by Meowskivich »

Gizmog wrote:Can the fan-art be derogatory or spiteful in nature?
I vote yes.
dOn'T MiNd mE! i'M jUsT CoNtAgIoUs!!!
Play Orbs CCG: http://orbsccg.com/r/4r6x :V
Spoonweaver
Liquid Metal King Slime

Post by Spoonweaver »

You'd be being a poor sport, though I suppose it would still be fan art, so I guess I'll allow it.
Momoka
Metal Slime

Post by Momoka »

I haven't touched the custom.exe in over a year, and wasn't particularly good before a year of rust. Sign me up! :kamina:
Spoonweaver
Liquid Metal King Slime

Post by Spoonweaver »

Glad to see the turn out so far.
If the 2 maybes come through we'll have the minimum number of contestants I believe are needed to make this a success.
But, there's still plenty of time to sign up. Don't be shy people, come and work together with one of your fellow OHR developers.
SDHawk
Metal Slime

Post by SDHawk »

I'm in.
Gizmog
Metal King Slime

Post by Gizmog »

I am also apparently in. But notice: Anyone who doesn't want to enter the contest for fear of ending up on a "Bad team" can wait till the deadline for admission is over and then sign on with me and whoever I am partnered with for a no-holds-barred beatdown on the rest of these dopes.