TPP agreement could make buying imported video games illegal

Talk about things that are not making games here. But you should also make games!

Moderators: Bob the Hamster, marionline, SDHawk

msw188
Metal Slime

Post by msw188 »

I am Srime
Gizmog
Metal King Slime

Post by Gizmog »

Spoonweaver
Liquid Metal King Slime

Post by Spoonweaver »

Last edited by Spoonweaver on Mon Jan 13, 2014 9:21 am, edited 2 times in total.
Meowskivich
Blubber Bloat

Post by Meowskivich »

dOn'T MiNd mE! i'M jUsT CoNtAgIoUs!!!
Play Orbs CCG: http://orbsccg.com/r/4r6x :V
Gizmog
Metal King Slime

Post by Gizmog »

Meowskivich
Blubber Bloat

Post by Meowskivich »

So...how about that bill congress passed. The one that allows internet companies to block any sites they deem fit for blocking. And stopping you from using certain services like netflix until you pay them for allowing it. Not going to happen? Too bad Verizon doesn't agree, because they're apparently already working on plans that do jussssssssssst that. Of course, let's let the future decide what happens. Doesn't do anything for my plans to move to Sweden after I graduate.
jcenterprises
Slime Knight

Post by jcenterprises »

Weren't Internet prices going to be raised and bandwidth capped if the net neutrality rules were successful?
The Wobbler
A Scrambled Egg

Post by The Wobbler »

Bandwidth is already capped and has been for a long time for many people, net neutrality has nothing to do with it.
Bob the Hamster
Lord of the Slimes

Post by Bob the Hamster »

There is a lot of misunderstanding about the Net Neutrality thing. Almost every headline I have read about it misses the point in one way or another.

This isn't really about internet providers charging us more to see Netflix at full-speed, a more likely scenario is that they would slow down Netflix traffic, and then try to force Netflix to pay them to bring it back up to normal speed.

The loss of Network Neutrality is more about internet companies extorting one another, rather than extorting us customers/users directly ;)

However, just because they are no longer forbidden by the FCC to do that now, does not necessarily mean that they will actually do so. I hope not, but I guess we will see eventually.
Meowskivich
Blubber Bloat

Post by Meowskivich »

Bob the Hamster wrote:There is a lot of misunderstanding about the Net Neutrality thing. Almost every headline I have read about it misses the point in one way or another.

This isn't really about internet providers charging us more to see Netflix at full-speed, a more likely scenario is that they would slow down Netflix traffic, and then try to force Netflix to pay them to bring it back up to normal speed.

The loss of Network Neutrality is more about internet companies extorting one another, rather than extorting us customers/users directly ;)

However, just because they are no longer forbidden by the FCC to do that now, does not necessarily mean that they will actually do so. I hope not, but I guess we will see eventually.
Verizon begs to differ, apparently.
But slowing things down is okay, I mean, my grandparents still use dial-up. I'm from a patient people (except my mom, she's about as impatient as they come).
Mogri
Super Slime

Post by Mogri »

2400 baud ought to be good enough for anybody.
Last edited by Mogri on Thu Jan 16, 2014 6:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Wobbler
A Scrambled Egg

Post by The Wobbler »

If an isp started charging users extra for access to Netflix (which as James said, this isn't about) it would be financial suicide and millions of people would flock to the competition and the fee would be dropped.
Bob the Hamster
Lord of the Slimes

Post by Bob the Hamster »

The Wobbler wrote:If an isp started charging users extra for access to Netflix (which as James said, this isn't about) it would be financial suicide and millions of people would flock to the competition and the fee would be dropped.
This would certainly be true in almost any other industry, but usually there are only 2 internet providers in any given market. 3 if you are lucky. If both the DSL company and the Cable company in your neighbourhood do the same thing, you are slimed.

In my own neighbourhood, my only choices are AT&T, Time Warner, and Verison, so I am one of the lucky ones.

However all three of those companies have incentive to punish netflix because they compete at delivery of television shows.

Plus I am afraid that even if Time Warner says "Hey, loyal customers, you have to pay extra for the Netflix Package now!" a whole lot of people will blame Netflix, thus netflix could be pressured into paying a fee on behalf of time warner's customers.

At least-- that is a worst-case scenario. A best case scenario is that some big company does try it, and it fails badly, and their competitor very publicly benefits from staying neutral. That is what I *hope* happens :)
jcenterprises
Slime Knight

Post by jcenterprises »

Comcast just bought Time Warner Cable. I guess this means we will inherit their broadband caps as well, though I guess TWC was the last major provider that didn't do that.

http://news.cnet.com/8301-1023_3-576188 ... 2b-merger/