Show off your graphics!

Make games! Discuss those games here.

Moderators: Bob the Hamster, marionline, SDHawk

Meowskivich
Blubber Bloat

Post by Meowskivich »

SparElric wrote:Okay.

I am still working on making the damn grass tile NOT look tiled/airbrushy. X_X
there's a tutorial on that around here somewhere, but much luck to you. I'm no bob ross with grass either. but hey, it looks better than some of my stuff I've tried (keyword) to make before.

edit: and that rock is amazing. The flowers are cool too. But to quote Donkey, "I like that boulder. That is a nice boulder."
Last edited by Meowskivich on Fri Nov 29, 2013 3:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dOn'T MiNd mE! i'M jUsT CoNtAgIoUs!!!
Play Orbs CCG: http://orbsccg.com/r/4r6x :V
Spoonweaver
Liquid Metal King Slime

Post by Spoonweaver »

free to use

For grass, I offer up 3 techniques that anyone should be able to use successfully.

1. Make a plain green tile. Then make another plain green tile, but on this tile draw a small tuft of grass. Then fill the area you wish to be grass with the green tile and go around scattering the tuft tile in the plain green.

2. A simple checker pattern of 2 different greens can make for a fairly nice looking grass.

3. The simple airbrush method. First, start with a plain green tile. Then take another shade of green and air brush lightly all over the tile. Then do this again with another shade of green, preferably one that is fairly close tot he other 2.
Next, select the pencil tool and go in and break up the large clumps by painting in with the original green color so that only 1 pixel of each of the secondary airbrushed green colors are touching.
In order break up the tiled look, don't waste time making more than 1 tile. Simply take the tile you already made, copy it, then turn the copy 90 degrees. Do this for each possible direction and suddenly you have a select of 4 possible grass tiles.

Also, on a brief and slightly different note. One should avoid neon greens for grass. Background tiles should try to be darker and less bright than the characters, npcs, and objects in a game so the player's focus goes straight to what matters.

Hope this all helps, and as I stated above, feel free to simply use these grass tiles I posted here. The picture is already in OHR tilemap format, so help yourself.
Last edited by Spoonweaver on Sat Nov 30, 2013 2:10 am, edited 2 times in total.
Feenicks
Metal Slime

Post by Feenicks »

Meowskivich
Blubber Bloat

Post by Meowskivich »

Pheonix wrote:Image
I have no emoticon to display my simultaneous amazement, jealousy, and curiosity. I shall use this frog to display it.
Bob the Hamster
Lord of the Slimes

Post by Bob the Hamster »

Dang, Phoenix! Those are some nice maptiles. Also i have said it before, but your hero sprite is great!
Sparoku
Metal Slime

Post by Sparoku »

Meowskivich wrote:there's a tutorial on that around here somewhere, but much luck to you. I'm no bob ross with grass either. but hey, it looks better than some of my stuff I've tried (keyword) to make before.

edit: and that rock is amazing. The flowers are cool too. But to quote Donkey, "I like that boulder. That is a nice boulder."
Glad you like the rock. XD
Spoonweaver wrote:Image
free to use

For grass, I offer up 3 techniques that anyone should be able to use successfully.

1. Make a plain green tile. Then make another plain green tile, but on this tile draw a small tuft of grass. Then fill the area you wish to be grass with the green tile and go around scattering the tuft tile in the plain green.

2. A simple checker pattern of 2 different greens can make for a fairly nice looking grass.

3. The simple airbrush method. First, start with a plain green tile. Then take another shade of green and air brush lightly all over the tile. Then do this again with another shade of green, preferably one that is fairly close tot he other 2.
Next, select the pencil tool and go in and break up the large clumps by painting in with the original green color so that only 1 pixel of each of the secondary airbrushed green colors are touching.
In order break up the tiled look, don't waste time making more than 1 tile. Simply take the tile you already made, copy it, then turn the copy 90 degrees. Do this for each possible direction and suddenly you have a select of 4 possible grass tiles.

Also, on a brief and slightly different note. One should avoid neon greens for grass. Background tiles should try to be darker and less bright than the characters, npcs, and objects in a game so the player's focus goes straight to what matters.

Hope this all helps, and as I stated above, feel free to simply use these grass tiles I posted here. The picture is already in OHR tilemap format, so help yourself.
HOORAY!!! Thank you so much!!! :v:
"One can never improve enough nor should one stop trying to improve."
TMC
Metal King Slime

Post by TMC »

Dang Pheonix! You're a heroic spriter!

I have to admit to some confusion though. The square tiles at the bottom look like a floor, while the same tile used near the top o the image looks like a wall. I didn't even realise that they were the same tile at first. Assuming the bit at the top is actually a path or balcony, it appears to be lacking a lip showing its thickness.
Feenicks
Metal Slime

Post by Feenicks »

There's already a lip there: I was just a bit overzealous with putting snow/ice on stuff, so it got a bit covered in the process.
TMC
Metal King Slime

Post by TMC »

Looking again, I guess I must have misread the image again, and those non-ice covered tiles at the top really are a wall (afterall, snow collected on flats, not on walls). I suppose they're also a wall at the bottom, which I assumed was an area of ground because the pillars look like they're standing on it... don't know what's going on there.
Sparoku
Metal Slime

Post by Sparoku »

Okay! I updated both the grass AND the oven! Had to do some tweaking with the bushes to get them to show up properly though.
"One can never improve enough nor should one stop trying to improve."
Meowskivich
Blubber Bloat

Post by Meowskivich »

The file cabinet exists in a place beyond time and space, none can defy it.
sheamkennedy
Liquid Metal Slime

Post by sheamkennedy »

I made the first enemy for my game. I'd like some feedback on shading, detailing... etc. Have I done well or is there some improvements I can make?

⊕ P E R S O N A L M U S I C: https://open.spotify.com/album/6fEo3fCm5C3XhtFRflfANr
� C O L L A B M U S I C: https://dustpuppets.bandcamp.com/releases
Spoonweaver
Liquid Metal King Slime

Post by Spoonweaver »

'da heck...
sheamkennedy
Liquid Metal Slime

Post by sheamkennedy »

Spoonweaver wrote:'da heck...
I'll take that as a compliment. My games going to get very very weird so a surprised or confused reaction is definitely my aim.
⊕ P E R S O N A L M U S I C: https://open.spotify.com/album/6fEo3fCm5C3XhtFRflfANr
� C O L L A B M U S I C: https://dustpuppets.bandcamp.com/releases
Master K
King Slime

Post by Master K »

It looks like a robot to me.

Also

Am I Kawaii yet, Sheam-kun?

Sorry I just had to.