Terraria Multiplayer

Talk about things that are not making games here. But you should also make games!

Moderators: Bob the Hamster, marionline, SDHawk

Machu
Slime Knight

Post by Machu »

Me! I'd like to play! I should have checked here more often, I was wondering why so many people were playing.
jaguar
Slime

Post by jaguar »

Pepsi Ranger wrote:seems the actual "multiplayer" is lately becoming more like "single player on a network." Not that that's a big deal, of course, but it's still more fun when it's actually multiplayer.
You're right. I usually log on around ~10pm PST. I have Tuesdays off so maybe we can set something up for then?
Pepsi Ranger
Liquid Metal Slime

Post by Pepsi Ranger »

Just found out this game is finally getting updated again at the end of this month (with a crapload of new stuff). We should start planning another multiplayer night soon, sometime after 1.2 is released, and try out the new features. Anyone interested? I know it's been a year and a half since the last time we've done this.
Place Obligatory Signature Here
Gizmog
Metal King Slime

Post by Gizmog »

I'd at least be interested in checking it out. I mean, it might be terrible, but it's only like 30 megabytes, so it's not like it's a great time investment to download.
crowtongue
Slime Knight

Post by crowtongue »

Pepsi Ranger wrote:Just found out this game is finally getting updated again at the end of this month (with a crapload of new stuff). We should start planning another multiplayer night soon, sometime after 1.2 is released, and try out the new features. Anyone interested? I know it's been a year and a half since the last time we've done this.
I'd definitely be down. I loved this game, and multiplayer is what made it.
Snodrvr
Red Slime

Post by Snodrvr »

You can count me in, I had a blast the last time we did this.
Stewitus P.
Slime Knight

Post by Stewitus P. »

Yeah I'll give it a go. ts been forever since I played it.
—- So anyway, how are you?
Meatballsub
Liquid Metal Slime

Post by Meatballsub »

Heck yeah. I didn't even know they were doing an update for it. Last I heard the devs said they were never adding anything else. Looking forward to it!
Pepsi Ranger
Liquid Metal Slime

Post by Pepsi Ranger »

Sounds good. I read that they're planning on releasing the next update on the 27th. I have two weeks of vacation coming to me in August. I'd say we plan the first night for whatever that weekend is that follows the release and play it whenever we feel like from then on.

Like before, I think we should start a new map. Also, if we could get RMSephy to host it again, that would probably be best. I don't know if the new update improves multiplayer support. Seems like its biggest additions are the ability to paint objects, use diagonal objects, interact with a new NPC, interact with a ton of new objects, enemies, and armor types, mine two new ore types, and explore a more official ice biome that has its own type of underground. Obviously we would need to start a new map for the new biome. The Wiki has a giant list of the new things we could expect from 1.2. Pretty much all of it is great. The developers are promising an update as big as 1.1 was.
Gizmog wrote:I'd at least be interested in checking it out. I mean, it might be terrible, but it's only like 30 megabytes, so it's not like it's a great time investment to download.
I know Steam updates the game automatically if you own it through that.
Snodrvr wrote:You can count me in, I had a blast the last time we did this.
Yes, I was hoping you'd get this message. Awesome. I don't think we ever got the chance to appreciate the results of our little prank we pulled on Newbie's house. Not getting to see him react to it is my greatest Terraria regret.
Meatballsub wrote:Heck yeah. I didn't even know they were doing an update for it. Last I heard the devs said they were never adding anything else. Looking forward to it!
Yeah, I had lost hope (and interest as a result) after the boring 1.1.2 update and the developers' subsequent dropping of the project after that. But I kept checking anyway, just in case. Perhaps it's the creator in me that knows that any project worth its salt can't just be dropped indefinitely and not leave a hole in the developers' hearts. Ironically, I found out about the update in the Towns forum, which has nothing to do with Terraria, but thanks to the extended amount of time needed to release Towns v14, people are now comparing the two games to each other.

P.S. If you haven't given Towns a try, you should.

EDIT: Here's a link to the Terraria Times article that talks about the new update:

http://www.terrariaonline.com/threads/t ... 11.102349/
Last edited by Pepsi Ranger on Sun Jul 14, 2013 1:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
Snodrvr
Red Slime

Post by Snodrvr »

Just an FYI: If you don't already own Terraria, It's in the Steam Summer Sale for 2.49 for the next 43 hours. Might be a good time to get it before the update.
Pepsi Ranger
Liquid Metal Slime

Post by Pepsi Ranger »

Just for everyone's information (assuming you don't already know), the developer is assuring players that the update is coming before October 1st. I don't know what that means for our planning, but I suppose it means that we could definitely get a new game started on October 1st. Maybe before.

This is also me reminding you guys that we should still do this.
Meatballsub
Liquid Metal Slime

Post by Meatballsub »

It appears that the update will be dropping tomorrow. Do we have a server set up for this yet? I'll do my best to hop on for a bit tomorrow if it is ready then.
Bob the Hamster
Lord of the Slimes

Post by Bob the Hamster »

Does anybody happen to know if the iOS or Android versions of Terraria can play on the same servers as the Windows version? (not that I have purchased either version, I am just curious what my options would be)
Pepsi Ranger
Liquid Metal Slime

Post by Pepsi Ranger »

James, I think you may want to check the FAQs on that. I believe the PC (or original) version is different than other versions, so I doubt it. But either way, it's worth the low price.

Meatballsub, I read somewhere that they've improved server support, so I don't know if we need to plan anything in advance.

I'd like to get a game going soon. I don't know if I'll be up for it tomorrow night or not, but we could certainly give it a try if we have enough interest. Whenever we do start one up, I think it would be best if we started with a fresh map and fresh characters again since the update changes much about the game. Well, we'll have to start with a new map anyway since the update includes one or two new biomes.

I think I'm busy most nights this week, so I won't be able to really sit down and enjoy this until Saturday. Tomorrow could work, but the other nights not so much. I can always play catchup with you guys if you do start early.
Gizmog
Metal King Slime

Post by Gizmog »

For the third time, I am definitely in. Oh my, and the game is already out! Midnight release. How delightful!
Last edited by Gizmog on Tue Oct 01, 2013 4:34 am, edited 1 time in total.