Christmas Stars Review

Write and read reviews of games that have been uploaded to Slime Salad.

Moderators: Bob the Hamster, marionline, SDHawk

Baconlabs
Liquid Metal Slime

Christmas Stars Review

Post by Baconlabs »

This game was entered into the 2020 Heart of the OHR contest, where it won 12th Place.

Christmas Stars was an adorable dual-contest entry, once for the Heart of the OHR, twice for a Christmas jam or something elsewhere. The tale it tells is equal parts heartwarming and heartbreaking, told with the literal framing of a TV special aired on a snowy winter night. The visuals aren't much to look at, but there's some clever thought behind the map design as it shifts from free movement to a vertical climb to walking around in a text box to choose an important menu option.

That being said, there's not much to experience here, regardless of whether you care for the story or not. The lone RPG battle is tacked on like a sticky note, and the entire story can be experienced and read out loud in less than 15 minutes, even if you see both endings. In fact, this really shouldn't have been a game at all. I think the effort would have been much better placed in a kids' story book, with lovely little illustrations for each line of dialogue. I'd genuinely like to see that, myself.

Time Invested: 0 Hours, 15 Minutes
Rating: 2/10
Accolade: WARM FUZZIES
Attachments
WARM FUZZIES: The story is charming and cozy.
WARM FUZZIES: The story is charming and cozy.
12 CHRISTMAS STARS.png (94.37 KiB) Viewed 2393 times
christmasstars0002.png
christmasstars0002.png (7.85 KiB) Viewed 2393 times
christmasstars0001.png
christmasstars0001.png (3.18 KiB) Viewed 2393 times
christmasstars0000.png
christmasstars0000.png (6.64 KiB) Viewed 2393 times
Last edited by Baconlabs on Wed Mar 17, 2021 10:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.