Allu in the Demon's Cave

Upload your games here. Download other people's games here.

Moderators: Bob the Hamster, marionline, SDHawk

Mammothstuds
Slime Knight

Allu in the Demon's Cave

Post by Mammothstuds »

This is my experiment at creating a somewhat fleshed-out roguelike in OHRRPGCE. And by experiment, BOY do I mean "experiment". Indeed, the game's structure is quite different from most RPGs, OHRRPGCE and all. It's...nowhere near finished.

This little game stars Allu, a cute little demon who has been sentenced by the evil overlord Abraxas to the greatest punishment of all: a trip to the legendary Demon's Cave, an infinite labyrinth full of monsters, bosses, and treasure. The only way to make it out alive is to fight your way out solo...which is essentially the objective of the game (although at the moment it is impossible, given that I haven't yet added the final boss).

On each floor is four crypts. While the floors are constantly changing their geography, the one thing that stays consistent is the position of each crypt. Inside each crypt is a maze that leads to a big, bad boss. Once you defeat a boss, one of the seals to the final dungeon breaks. Beat all four bosses and the only thing left to do is return to the top floor and take on the head honcho (which, as I can't state enough, is impossible to do in this build, although all four bosses and the final dungeon itself are there).

The most interesting thing about the game is its difficulty curve. Early on in the game, you are remarkably weak, even against the weakest enemies. Taking on a crypt early on is not a wise idea; it is best to first scour around for items and level up on some weak enemies.

The game features an element system based on items. Attacking with different items may have an elemental side effect, and certain enemies are weaker to certain elements.

The game is a bit of a..."pioneer", to use a generous term. There's certainly nothing quite like it on the OHRRPGCE market. So, I urge you to try it out, and tell me what you think!

I've received comments about the game's...rather poor balance. Therefore, I decided to balance the game a bit by making the enemies weaker, making the enemies give less experience, and making stat bonuses smaller. Hope you enjoy!
Attachments
allu.zip
Second build (changelog: balanced game out a little)
(1.51 MiB) Downloaded 490 times
allu.zip
First build
(1.51 MiB) Downloaded 527 times
Last edited by Mammothstuds on Wed May 13, 2015 6:47 pm, edited 7 times in total.
SDHawk
Metal Slime

Post by SDHawk »

[review]6811[/review]