SLIMESALAD POKEMON TOURNAMENT!!!

Talk about things that are not making games here. But you should also make games!

Moderators: Bob the Hamster, marionline, SDHawk

Spoonweaver
Liquid Metal King Slime

SLIMESALAD POKEMON TOURNAMENT!!!

Post by Spoonweaver »

Greetings!

This is the Beginning of a Journey....
Today is the start of sign-up for the 2021 Slimesalad Pokemon Battle Tournament.
What is the 2021 Slimesalad Pokemon Battle Tournament you ask?
This tournament is a contest between members of the Slimesalad forums involving pokemon. With the winner being crowned Pokemon Champion of Slimesalad and getting a prize (a trophy, gift box, or something; TBD)
Using the website, Pokemonshowdown.com, ( https://play.pokemonshowdown.com ) contestants will put their constructed team to the test against each other's with a new battle taking place each week.

So how does it all work?
Starting now people will post in this forum to enter into this Tournament.
They will need to use Pokemonshowdown.com to then make a 6 pokemon team. The team will need to follow the OU Format outlines on this website, (basically, no Ubers like mewtwo) and the generation can be set to either gen 7 or gen 8. Teams should be made up of all different pokemon and they should all be holding different items.
You should keep the same team through out the tourney. You don't need to post your team, but may be required to if any funny business is detected.
Once all the teams have been constructed and we have at least 8 people signed up, we'll try to start on a Saturday.
The tournament will be a round Robin, meaning you will battle against every other player. Once we start, converse and schedule when would be best to meet up and battle and then report the outcome here.
After the round robin is over, in the event of a tie, the players with the highest score tied for first will battle again until there is a clear winner.

The winner gets a prize box.

in case the rule sets are too complex for people that have not taking part in online battles before, let me narrow things down a bit and possible add on to the restrictions.
No megas, No legendarys, No z-moves, No dynamaxing
this also includes any restrictions imposed by the OU formats, but the small amount of exceptions not covered by my simplified rules should be fine if used by someone not completely in the know of the online battle rulesets and may very well serve to level the playing field
Last edited by Spoonweaver on Mon Mar 29, 2021 6:34 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Baconlabs
Liquid Metal Slime

Post by Baconlabs »

I'd love to partake, but I work weekends :zombie:
and the one Saturday I have freed, up I already set down for RMZ's Terraria shindig (Apr 10), unless you guys want to coordinate such that one event happens midday and the other in the evening.
(Edit: Nevermind, that's not an issue if we're not having all the battles take place on the same day. Individual meet-ups is a good idea.)
Also wouldn't you have to have everyone conform to Gen 7 or Gen 8? I wouldn't think they'd be compatible battling each other. Correct me if I'm wrong.
Last edited by Baconlabs on Thu Mar 25, 2021 5:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
Spoonweaver
Liquid Metal King Slime

Post by Spoonweaver »

Baconlabs wrote: wouldn't you have to have everyone conform to Gen 7 or Gen 8? I wouldn't think they'd be compatible battling each other. Correct me if I'm wrong.
Actually no, you just have to select the national dex to battle instead of Gen 8 OU or Gen 7 OU. I just wanted to be inclusive incase people wanted to use pokemon that gen 8 decided to forget existed.
Baconlabs
Liquid Metal Slime

Post by Baconlabs »

Took me a while to figure out what is and isn't in Showdown's National Dex. (Edit: Found a much more concise explanation here: https://www.smogon.com/dex/ss/formats/national-dex/ )Seems very inclusive - I wasn't expecting them to let Mega Evolutions back in. So, Megas are OK, Z-Moves are OK, and Dynamax is not. Works for me.

I made a list of popular Pokemon that would have been prohibited if not for the National Dex option, but I don't need it anymore now that I understand how this works. Here's the list anyway, if anyone's curious; it turned out shorter than I expected. (Megas not included)
  • Alomomola
  • Breloom
  • Chesnaught
  • Empoleon
  • Feraligatr
  • Gliscor
  • Greninja
  • Hoopa
  • Infernape
  • Manaphy
  • Meloetta
  • Muk (Alola)
  • Serperior
  • Staraptor
Last edited by Baconlabs on Thu Mar 25, 2021 9:34 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Mogri
Super Slime

Post by Mogri »

Gen 7 rules + gen 8 mons, then? Was Dynamax that unpopular?

I will sign up, although I can't remember the last time I put together a team.
Spoonweaver
Liquid Metal King Slime

Post by Spoonweaver »

it's not about how unpopular dynamax, or megas, or z moves are or were
gen 8 doesn't have all the pokemon available in it.
Generally megas and dynamaxing isn't allowed under the OU rule set.
Otherwise, if we were doing ubers, everything would be legendarys and most teams would likely look the same.
Ravancloak
Red Slime

Post by Ravancloak »

I'm in, but I'll suck lol
Have a flower! ^-^~* (she/her)
RMZ
King Slime

Post by RMZ »

Screw it, I'll participate too.
Spoonweaver
Liquid Metal King Slime

Post by Spoonweaver »

after discussing things online
I have added additional rules
in case the rule sets are too complex for people that have not taking part in online battles before, let me narrow things down a bit and possible add on to the restrictions.
No megas, No legendarys, No z-moves, No dynamaxing
this also includes any restrictions imposed by the OU formats, but the small amount of exceptions not covered by my simplified rules should be fine if used by someone not completely in the know of the online battle rulesets and may very well serve to level the playing field
Mogri
Super Slime

Post by Mogri »

Sounds good, but can you clarify legendary? It seems like it would be simplest just to use the OU banlist for mons, regardless of what's legendary.
Spoonweaver
Liquid Metal King Slime

Post by Spoonweaver »

Legendarys, to me, have always been the box art pokemon plus the legendary trio.
Anyways, here's a site with a list of the legendary pokemon that are banned
I AM including sub-legendary and mythic when I say legendary.
https://www.serebii.net/pokemon/legendary.shtml

This does pretty much match the OU pokemon banned list, with a few exceptions like the tapu's and ultra beasts

This simplification of the rules is due to people taking part that are not at all familiar with the OU ruleset and were confused about the ability to use some megas and some legendarys and not others and were being over-whelmed by the choices.

I hope you understand.
Last edited by Spoonweaver on Sat Mar 27, 2021 1:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Spoonweaver
Liquid Metal King Slime

Post by Spoonweaver »

Well, if everyone's teams are ready, I think we can sort of get things started.
I was hoping for more people, but 5 will do.
Anyone else has until the end of the weekend to signup.
ANYONE AND EVERYONE IS WELCOME TO JOIN!
That said, if the people taking part would like to get their matches started I have the round robin match ups read.
Play them in any order, whatever works best. Discord might help coordinate things.
Post the results here.
I strongly suggest posting a video of the battle. However, you are not required to at all.
Once you take part in one of your matches, please do not change your team for the other matches. That way we don't have people switch teams around to better match up against teams they know about ahead of time or something.
Anyways! Here's the Chart!
Good Luck, Have Fun!!!!!

Last edited by Spoonweaver on Sat Mar 27, 2021 6:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Spoonweaver
Liquid Metal King Slime

Post by Spoonweaver »

[yt]XaxI9rtM4bc[/yt]
Last edited by Spoonweaver on Sat Mar 27, 2021 8:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mogri
Super Slime

Post by Mogri »

Spoonweaver wrote:Well, if everyone's teams are ready
Whoa hang on. I haven't even started.
Spoonweaver
Liquid Metal King Slime

Post by Spoonweaver »

@Mogri
No worries
take your time
Since it's a round robin, I didn't see the harm in getting things started.

though... ravancloak has expressed that it would be rude to view the videos of our matches and make your team based off any of the information seen.

[yt]CMA0_BDy1io[/yt]