Community Support, outside the community! // itch.io+ thread

Talk about things that are not making games here. But you should also make games!

Moderators: Bob the Hamster, marionline, SDHawk

Bob the Hamster
Lord of the Slimes

Post by Bob the Hamster »

I'm no expert, but I think it is looking pretty good already! :)
Spoonweaver
Liquid Metal King Slime

Post by Spoonweaver »

I've noticed that background images aren't used very often on the games that do well on itch.
I think it makes the page too busy and clashes with the pictures already on the page.
Maybe if you darken the background image a lot it would work.
kylekrack
Liquid Metal Slime

Post by kylekrack »

Really good point. Tried darkening it, I think you're right. Failing that, I've seen some interesting use of background images to give borders to the center bar: https://warm-apple-studios.itch.io/rr
My pronouns are they/them
Ps. I love my wife
Nathan Karr
Liquid Metal Slime

Post by Nathan Karr »

Well I went to all the trouble of trying to remember my password(s) and using Microsoft Edge instead of Google Chrome

And literally exactly the same layout problem crops up.
Attachments
itchio 2.PNG
itchio 2.PNG (43.04 KiB) Viewed 4275 times
Remeber: God made you special and he loves you very much. Bye!
Spoonweaver
Liquid Metal King Slime

Post by Spoonweaver »

weird
Nathan Karr
Liquid Metal Slime

Post by Nathan Karr »

The third-party tax form company this page is supposed to belong to has a very legitimate looking website but I'm having difficulties locating the "contact us/report a problem" sections with no clearly labeled way to inform them that their page is breaking on two of the most common browsers (one affiliated with the most popular search engine and one forcibly downloaded into the most popular operating system whether you like it or not).
Last edited by Nathan Karr on Mon Dec 21, 2020 2:40 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Nathan Karr
Liquid Metal Slime

Post by Nathan Karr »

Today I finally found a browser that let me fill out my tax form. I'm probably going to leave it on my computer unused just like the others that aren't Chrome and pull it out if other pages refuse to load properly for inexplicable reasons.

In bad news, I also found out today that my unemployment benefits ended on November 28th. I still have a decent amount of savings, but I'm still bleeding roughly 1,000 dollars a month until I can actually get some sort of income again and the job market isn't exactly friendly right now. Of course, it was also really unfriendly the last two times I got hired anywhere (2008 and 2012) so I guess that's just how these things work for me.

All the more reason to throw myself into making games worthy of purchase, then.
Nathan Karr
Liquid Metal Slime

Post by Nathan Karr »

https://cheeseforge.itch.io/athe-quest
It's a game you can buy. Roughly 40-60% improved from the free version still available on this site.

Do I expect to sell a lot? Not really, but this gets the ball rolling instead of leaving the wheels spinning.
Bird
Slime Knight

Post by Bird »

So you're playing un grand with "A Quest" now? Might I test it once again? It was an RPG, that I liked somewhat for the characters. Would you be so kindly and give me a message with a link?
Nathan Karr
Liquid Metal Slime

Post by Nathan Karr »

Bird wrote:So you're playing un grand with "A Quest" now? Might I test it once again? It was an RPG, that I liked somewhat for the characters. Would you be so kindly and give me a message with a link?
I very fondly remember your lengthy positive feedback on the Ridiculous Game Contest version; it was one of the reasons I decided this would be the first game in my library to receive those final touches before monetizing.

Its most recent round of testing is finished. I'd prefer if you could spend the dollar on it, but I'll consider sending you a key in part for how helpful your feedback on the original was.
Bird
Slime Knight

Post by Bird »

Get your necktie out of the drawer, we have to negotiate that in a private message.
Bird
Slime Knight

Post by Bird »

@Nathan: Did my PN arrive? I have a suspicion, that the mailman is a bit unreliable...
Nathan Karr
Liquid Metal Slime

Post by Nathan Karr »

Sorry, I was really busy trying to find time to play and write reviews for the Heart of the OHR games (and AAA is complete trash and even I know it, so when I played that first it kinda broke me for a while); I wound up doing all of the others in a marathon of this past week.
Spoonweaver
Liquid Metal King Slime

Re: Community Support, outside the community! // itch.io+ thread

Post by Spoonweaver »

Started a community twitter account
The hamsterbot seems to be annoying more people than it's helping so I guess it's better to have it done by hand.
The account is meant to promote newly released projects and games currently in development.
Hopefully it can grow to a size that will benefit the community
https://twitter.com/OHRRPGCE
If you would like to assist in maintaining the OHRRPGCE twitter account, (and you're a known & trusted member of the community) message me and I'll share the account info.
Bob the Hamster
Lord of the Slimes

Re: Community Support, outside the community! // itch.io+ thread

Post by Bob the Hamster »

Heart Button, retweet button :v: