SwordPlay shitpost thread

Talk about things that are not making games here. But you should also make games!

Moderators: Bob the Hamster, marionline, SDHawk

Spoonweaver
Liquid Metal King Slime

SwordPlay shitpost thread

Post by Spoonweaver »

Welcome to the official sign up forum for the Untitled OHR Brawler Game.
We are currently in need of ::
-kylekrack the effect scripter, (or two more, that would take a load off me).
-At least 2 artists.
-Wobblerwill be the writer/plot port designer
-A character designer

Please sign up here. Positions are limited, but we can always use extra help further down the line!

In this thread we watch swordplay post over and over
Attachments
Chill Bro0011.gif
Chill Bro0011.gif (77.16 KiB) Viewed 4387 times
Last edited by Spoonweaver on Tue Apr 19, 2022 10:02 pm, edited 5 times in total.
SwordPlay
Chemical Slime

Post by SwordPlay »

I'm up for it.

How complex will it be?

Hitboxes? Frame-by-frame planning? Timing? AI?
It's a lot of work even before animation/spriting.

Unless you're going for a casual kinda thing?

I had a go at something similar (see GIF here):
https://www.slimesalad.com/forum/viewto ... 684#136684

I had an idea it would have some kind of simple action, rather than being a beat-em-up, with puzzles and various abilities.
Actually, I made it as a prototype for a project with Giz.
Last edited by SwordPlay on Sun Jul 19, 2020 1:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Imagination. Life is your creation."
Spoonweaver
Liquid Metal King Slime

Post by Spoonweaver »

Alright I can put you down as a scripter right?
I'll send you how it's working now. It was throw together so it likely needs to be reworked.
The Wobbler
A Scrambled Egg

Post by The Wobbler »

I'd like to write for this, whether it's the overall plot or NPC dialogue or whatever, if you're up for it being light hearted and goofy.

I'm thinking "A rude raccoon is smashing every barrel and trash can in town and eating everyone's garbage and the neighborhood is sick of it"
Last edited by The Wobbler on Sun Jul 19, 2020 1:22 am, edited 2 times in total.
kylekrack
Liquid Metal Slime

Post by kylekrack »

I like writing scripts for small details, like animations, GUI, etc. Things that can generally be added in without messing with the beef of the gameplay code.

EDIT: Oh, and particle systems. Been interested in writing those in the ohr for a while.
Last edited by kylekrack on Sun Jul 19, 2020 1:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
My pronouns are they/them
Ps. I love my wife
SwordPlay
Chemical Slime

Post by SwordPlay »

I'm frankly not convinced this is a good project until we can show

- plot, character, narrative
- promise of game-feel or similar considerations. I would be willing to handle this if above was present

Otherwise it's just a weak game with a weak premise.

So if you are a writer, or Giz, please hit up the thread. Start throwing out ideas and get it started.

I would like to incorporate projectiles, traps, platforming if possible, and some basic combat/action with at least a few abilities. Go nuts with ideas and don't worry if it's feasible.

More importantly, why should the player do it? Why should I make it?
I hope for a compelling premise.

For example, in the prototype I was planning with Giz, the main character is a high-school delinquent (female) who has to fight various mafia types to rescue her boyfriend (with plot twists!), and she has to fight her way to the top of a tower (at the end?), and there's supposed to be scenes where they're falling from the building and fighting, or some mini-games, you can go shopping probably, and wander the streets beating up punks.
It's modern or futuristic, so they use weapons perhaps, or gadgets.
Pretty solid stuff imo, and we should hope for a similar level of design.
Even before making the game, it is well defined and has a lot of room to explore gameplay concepts, systems and structures, as well as allowing some room for variety
Oh and it's a goofy comedy but like an anime? So, cool, somehow? But also slapstick and hilarious.
I'm thinking "A rude raccoon is smashing every barrel and trash can in town and eating everyone's garbage and the neighborhood is sick of it"
I don't know if the raccoon is the protagonist or what, but there's already a lot of stuff I can think of spinning of from there, like a quest to eat garbage, and irate townsfolk going on a witch hunt. Strong vibes? Maybe it could scamper up buildings for different gameplay segments, and access roof-tops or something (idk what raccoons do)
Maybe the raccoon could hide in various places, like assassins creed. raccoons creed. whatever. I am a shadow in the night. I am in ur garbage eating ur trash
Last edited by SwordPlay on Sun Jul 19, 2020 1:49 am, edited 8 times in total.
The Wobbler
A Scrambled Egg

Post by The Wobbler »

I like the idea of a gross raccoon hero getting stronger by eating more and more trash and also decorating a hideout/apartment with the non-edible garbage he finds.
Spoonweaver
Liquid Metal King Slime

Post by Spoonweaver »

Well swordplay, I see you have some ideas there. That's great.
But I think you should stick to only the scripting role.
We'll get someone to sign up for the character design role, don't worry about that.
I think Surlaw/Wobbler will do a great job as the writer and general conceptual idea man. Just sit back and let him work, trust me.
All you need to worry about is expanding the script. Add some jumping, some grabbing, and picking up/ throwing items. I think having all that would start things off in a pretty solid way.
If you don't want to start yet, or you're not sure you want to take part in this project, that;s fine too. No pressure. But let's also keep that mentality for the other members of the team.

EDIT :: GUH you editted your post
Last edited by Spoonweaver on Sun Jul 19, 2020 1:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
SwordPlay
Chemical Slime

Post by SwordPlay »

It's not really a "writing" heavy game. It's much more to do with cinematography, framing, comic timing and things like that. Actually, if Wobbler could take up some of the scene/event writing, me or you or someone else could handle the event planning.
The writing aspect could be handled by people yelling random slime on discord.
The actual game (reminder: it's an action-comedy) cannot.

So when you are asking for a writer, what kind of roles does that entail?
SwordPlay
Chemical Slime

Post by SwordPlay »

The Wobbler wrote:I like the idea of a gross raccoon hero getting stronger by eating more and more trash and also decorating a hideout/apartment with the non-edible garbage he finds.
fantastic stuff. I think it's a solid start and can really feel it. so getting new abilities (equipment?) by eating/collecting trash provides incentive and structure. double whammy and the core gameplay loop? it reeks of randomisation, so I love it automatically. the thrill of the chase (of garbage), not knowing if you're going to be terribly sick from eating crap or about to find a jackpot in the dumpster
now some events please.

fighting on the side of a building, having to escape through sewers, disguising as a member of government to infilitrate their garbage, raising/lowering stakes, tensions, that kinda stuff, lay it on us

but what is the main action? fighting? it could be some thing else, unique.

raccoon espionage action
Last edited by SwordPlay on Sun Jul 19, 2020 2:04 am, edited 2 times in total.
The Wobbler
A Scrambled Egg

Post by The Wobbler »

I'm picturing a brawler like River City Ransom and Yakuza more than something like Streets of Rage. A game where you talk to townspeople/buy crap/take missions when you're not punching barrels and enemies. Basic equipment systems/a gym for upgrading damage, HP, attack speed, etc. There's plenty to write for something like that if that's the direction people want to go.

I wouldn't want the character beating up regular townspeople, though he would be annoying to them. I figure he'd be beating up garbage disposal robots and eventually come across a mafia that made its home base in the town dump. The gross weirdo who eats trash accidentally becomes the town hero.
Last edited by The Wobbler on Sun Jul 19, 2020 2:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
Spoonweaver
Liquid Metal King Slime

Post by Spoonweaver »

Well, sword, the writing level of the game is decided by the writer. There are some pretty writing intensive action games.
I wouldn't worry about it too much, that's the beauty of the system.
Last edited by Spoonweaver on Sun Jul 19, 2020 2:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
SwordPlay
Chemical Slime

Post by SwordPlay »

straight up: a pure brawler or beat-em up would be rather difficult and time-consuming.
and also one-dimesional from a gameplay perspective.

to get the game-feel down pat would be quite a bit of work, especially if it's the main and only loop/premise/action

I'd love to hear more about the side-gigs, or what happens to flesh out characters.
like decorating the apartment, its like a hide-out or lair?

I dont see it as a super-hero, particularly. Whats the design like? Naturalistic would be hilarious juxtaposed against dead-pan citizens determined to stop the trash menacer.
whats the context? Is it dialogue driven or presented ambiguously?
Personally I can imagine a silent protag. But a bombastic hero could be funny
SwordPlay
Chemical Slime

Post by SwordPlay »

for a naturalistic presentation I can imagine it more like fighting feral cats to claim the trash, and having some kinda quick action, like sneak, climb etc., to get away from danger or avoid attention.
The gameplay wouldn't be in-your-face like RCR or SOR, but it would be its own thing, with some more emphasis on environmental interaction, like foraging, hiding, and navigating by means of tree, pipe (sewer?), wall and so on.

But there's no reason that you couldn't, say, infiltrate a bakery by fighting off the guard dog, or sneaking around to find a route?
Or more complex things. Maybe the raccoon sneaks into a government office to forge documents? It could happen, and fits with various gameplay ideas.

Main questions:

Whats the UNIQUE ACTION?
I don't want to make "RCR with Raccoon"
I want to play "Raccoon simulator with RCR aspects"
If we are competing with other brawlers, it makes sense that the game should at least be as good as them. However this probably takes more work than our current party realises.
We are better off getting a unique angle and making a fresh experience for players.
I don't want to play (or make) a game where you're just a Raccoon beating up arbitrary stuff. It's just a glorified re-skin of RCR with some Raccoon jokes.
If the main character is a Raccoon, I want to feel the thrill of diving in garbage, fighting off feral competitors and staying alive.
I want to feel crafty and slinky, not like a beefcake.
What's the difference between this and a typical brawler?
Last edited by SwordPlay on Sun Jul 19, 2020 2:21 am, edited 2 times in total.
The Wobbler
A Scrambled Egg

Post by The Wobbler »

I think player chosen dialogue would be a good way to give the town and the hero more personality and there could be relationship tracking to win the hearts of the non-trash eaters. The hero's a newcomer to town, isn't interested in changing themselves to please the town, wins over the more sympathetic townsfolk eventually and helps expose which ones are connected to the mob.

I don't think the combat loop needs to be super complex to be fun, as long as there's continual growth.