The Furries (and other origins)

Talk about things that are not making games here. But you should also make games!

Moderators: Bob the Hamster, marionline, SDHawk

FyreWulff
Slime Knight

Post by FyreWulff »

I've legit become concerned and asked them if they're okay if I say something and they don't pull off a quip the entire day.
Bird
Slime Knight

Post by Bird »

Charbile, i....
have fantastic news for you

This is Spy Fox. A foxy fellow of yours from 20 years ago. I'm sure, you two will be great friends. By the way, would you consider Spy Fox a furry?

Fenrir obviously plays a big role in bringing the furrys into the RPGs. Any games you remember from the very early times? Sword of Jade of course! Do you have any other?
Attachments
Screenshot with Spy Fox and Bea Bear
Screenshot with Spy Fox and Bea Bear
SpyFox.jpg (62.8 KiB) Viewed 4763 times
Bob the Hamster
Lord of the Slimes

Post by Bob the Hamster »

Fenrir-Lunaris wrote: EDIT: For future reference on what is, and what is not a furry, please refer to the chart.

Fenrir, this is beautiful, thank you! :D
Nathan Karr
Liquid Metal Slime

Post by Nathan Karr »

Bird wrote:This is Spy Fox. A foxy fellow of yours from 20 years ago.
Oh boy, one of my childhood favorite PC games! Interested in an order of chicken knuckles?
Bird wrote: By the way, would you consider Spy Fox a furry?
I would classify it as furry content in the sense that it's content most furries would like, but most likely the creators were just using funny animals for visual variety, ease of drawing, and the fact that funny animals have always appealed to children even when aimed squarely at adults.

One thing I noticed back even in 2004 was that in online communities there's often this big dramatic backlash against anthropomorphic characters because of indirect association with the furry fandom. People who are used to that significantly-sized-minority of furries who don't respect personal boundaries and push their kinks into every available space and conversation regardless of relevance; thus places like Something Awful or 4chan (attempting to) ban all furries and all furry art, then needing to make (often hypocritical) rules or justifications for why to allow other things.

I've been mocked as "obviously wrong and stupid" for pointing out that for example, a drawing of a girl with horse ears and a horse tail, drawing a humanoid girl with a hairy body, head of a horse, hooves for feet, and a tail and drawing a quadrupedal mare with the eyes of a human and full speech/reasoning capacity of a human are not three distinct categories of thing with the middle one being the only one furries like, but rather a spectrum of character design all of which could be just as likely drawn by "a furry artist" and all of which could just as easily be made by a mainstream normie who happens to like horses or feel like experimenting with art.

Is The Lion King a furry movie? No. Are the equally-anthropomorphic quadrupedal lions within the furry fandom furry? Yes. Is Disney's animated fox Robin Hood movie a furry movie? No. Are webcomics where the characters are almost directly traced from it furry? Yes. Is Balto a furry movie? No. Are equally quadrupedal sparkledogs on DeviantArt and FurAffinity furry? I'd definitely say so. Is Zootopia a furry movie? Probably yes. Is My Little Pony a furry cartoon series? No. Are Bronies a subtype of furry, no matter how much they insist otherwise? Absolutely yes.
Remeber: God made you special and he loves you very much. Bye!
charbile
Metal Slime

Post by charbile »

My dear Bird, as you can clearly see in Fenrir's picture, I am no furry but a funny animal (in contrast to the serious fennecs). I'm actually really close friends with Bob the Hamster. If you ask him about me and he says he has no idea who I am, that's one of our many inside jokes. He's such a kidder.

And that makes no sense, Nathan. Care for an explanation? Be sure to start form your childhood.

The way I understand it, the term refers to many things and people get caught up in the semantics. On one bean, it doesn't describe any work but the fans of the work, ie how you wouldn't call Star Trek: Trekkies, but fans of the material. On the other bean, it can refer to the actual talking animal characters. And can refer to every subset on the spectrum, like people who like games about not eating AND people who like to eat way too much (with panthers).

And I found the ohr while searching for Fenrir's feet. I thought they didn't exist, but somehow I stumbled upon this place. So you really can blame it all on his inability to draw feet.
Attachments
i stole this file from woahpotato's file cabinet
i stole this file from woahpotato's file cabinet
birdstheword.png (22.62 KiB) Viewed 4727 times
Mogri
Super Slime

Post by Mogri »

Nathan Karr wrote:Is Disney's animated fox Robin Hood movie a furry movie? No.
Isn't it, though?
FyreWulff
Slime Knight

Post by FyreWulff »

He's such a kidder.
I totally haven't heard this one for the 5 billionth time
Mogri wrote:
Isn't it, though?
Yeah tbh i thought it was a furry movie. If you could plausibly put humans in makeup and suits and get the same movie I think I have to count it as one, whereas Lion King is anthro.

It's also specifically the movie (also Jungle Book, i guess, since it reuses a lot of that movie's character designs) that a lot of fur artists base their style off of.
Last edited by FyreWulff on Thu Jun 25, 2020 5:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
Fenrir-Lunaris
Metal Slime

Post by Fenrir-Lunaris »

Fyrewulff wrote:
Mogri wrote:
Isn't it, though?
Yeah tbh i thought it was a furry movie. It's also specifically the movie (also Jungle Book, i guess, since it reuses a lot of that movie's character designs) that a lot of fur artists base their style off of.
There's a good reason that Furry characters made between late 1973 and the early-90's have a design aesthetic that could be called the "Disney Holotype". Before that point Looney Tunes was the major influence.

Also the CGI remake of Lion King doesn't hold a candle to the original - and it's mainly got to do with the expressiveness of the characters' facial features.
Last edited by Fenrir-Lunaris on Thu Jun 25, 2020 8:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
Hedera
Slime Knight

Post by Hedera »

Shoutout to all the gay furries
and all the non-gay furries
and all the non-furry gays
and all the non-gay, non-furries too
charbile
Metal Slime

Post by charbile »

Whenever you feel like giving up please remember
There are two wolves inside of you
One is fenrir and the other is fyre
Spoonweaver
Liquid Metal King Slime

Post by Spoonweaver »

charbile wrote:Whenever you feel like giving up please remember
There are two wolves inside of you
One is fenrir and the other is fyre
Not sure I consented to that.
Idontknow
Slime Knight

Post by Idontknow »

L-LEWD

[spoiler]I do consent to this[/spoiler]
Working as intended!
Bird
Slime Knight

Post by Bird »

Seems to be a fruitful discussion, although it looks like it's difficult to pin everything down to the categories furry-type or non-furry-type. I'd wish all the artists big inspirations, but more so a way to bring their own ideas through. And last but not least some good funds for the professionals.

By the way, it's not just the two wolves. Listen to your heart! Let the the past speak to you! There is a fox with a monocle inside you too (if you've played one of his games)! And this fish, and this mouse and this hamster and this gnome and everything that was colourful to inspire you and so on.

Actually, which are some good furry games made with the OHR? This was the original intention to start this thread. But it went completly chaotic (which is nice on the other hand).
Idontknow
Slime Knight

Post by Idontknow »

Besides the ones in OP, Sword of Jade is a pretty notable one.
Last edited by Idontknow on Sat Jun 27, 2020 12:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
Working as intended!
charbile
Metal Slime

Post by charbile »

gamelist furry tag
seems like the same pool of authors show up on this. you'd think it'd be larger. with the way people are going on about this

(also the url button is broke, triggers list.)