Blast from the past

Talk about things that are not making games here. But you should also make games!

Moderators: Bob the Hamster, marionline, SDHawk

byakk0
Slime

Blast from the past

Post by byakk0 »

Just wanted to say Hi.
Not sure who is around that would remember me...Been more than 15 years I guess.
I was working on the game Edo at the time.
Yep...I'm that Byakk0...Been a while my friends.
TMC
Metal King Slime

Post by TMC »

Whoa!
I mean, honestly I don't remember you, since you were around (mostly?) before my time, but I do certainly remember Edo.
What's been happening?

Amazingly your website is still up: http://www.angelfire.com/anime/byako/edogame.html
Which is fortunate, because the download link there works, but it's not available on any other site.
byakk0
Slime

Sweet.

Post by byakk0 »

Thanks!
I was just poking around that old site and couldn't find the link. (back when frames were popular and no-one heard of mobile devices aside from maybe a palm pilot)

I'll be lucky to remember file password though.
Last edited by byakk0 on Fri Dec 27, 2019 3:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
byakk0
Slime

Post by byakk0 »

to answer the question, what's been happening?

Mostly just life. Kids are growing up on me. I'm still working on my project car...
I got busy and fell out of habit (lack of time?) of visiting OHR stuff and forgot about making games.
I still have a file somewhere Harlock and I were making for the '99 christmas game contest I never submitted. lol

Working in semiconductor industry making flexible chips. Just built the cleanroom for my company so we can process product in house.
TMC
Metal King Slime

Post by TMC »

Oh, I can give you the password.
There's plenty to see in this game.

A lot of people have kids now.
There are quite a few people who are still active (or rather, came back) with the OHRRPGCE who have been here since ancient time. E.g. James, Fenrir Lunaris, Gizmog, PCH/Surlaw/Wobbler, Charbile, Moogle/Mogri, Foxley. Shizuma/wgeese, Squall, Harlock and Fyrewulff are in the chatroom (Harlock writes once a year...). MeatBallSub, JSH and Fortis used to be around until not long ago. And it's a regular occurrence that someone like yourself turns up after a decade or two.
(These forums aren't very active unfortunately because most of the activity is in the Discord chatroom... not unlike the IRC days, I guess)

Sounds like an interesting job! Though might also be an awful lot of procedure.
Last edited by TMC on Thu Dec 26, 2019 11:44 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Bob the Hamster
Lord of the Slimes

Post by Bob the Hamster »

Hello byakk0 welcome back! :D
byakk0
Slime

Post by byakk0 »

Thanks James! Guess I'll have to get hooked up on discord. My boys talk about it sometimes, but they mostly watch YouTube videos.
I've got some stop-motion videos I've been doing recently-animating my daughter's stuffed animals.

I started making Edo 2 on game maker years ago, but it didn't get beyond 8-way character motion.
Maybe I should think up something else to make. I'm sure things have changed so drastically it will be like learning it all over again. I had a pretty good handle on plotscripting at one time.
TMC
Metal King Slime

Post by TMC »

Oh, your kids are that old already? Heh.
Nice to hear you didn't quit gamedev for, what, 17 years? Pleasantly surprised you want to actually try out the OHRRPGCE again; I thought you were just dropping in!

Well, I think actually you would be surprised how little things have changed given how long it's been, and pretty much everything you knew (if you can remember it after so long) is still relevant. Scripting-wise what's changed most is that instead of using NPCs to display graphics you use slices. Since things such as maps, NPCs and textboxes are drawn using slices, there's a lot more you can do with scripts that wasn't possible before; for example map parallax. And there are strings (they are weird). Most notable other new things are map layers and zones, non-MIDI music, sound effects, pathfinding, mouse support, and the Distribute Game and Test Game options in Custom. Coming soon: an animation system and a lot of other graphics features.
Last edited by TMC on Fri Dec 27, 2019 9:33 am, edited 6 times in total.
Bird
Slime Knight

Post by Bird »

Your game "Edo" was on the Top 30 list, which means, that the community liked it! The OHR can be used as you have used it twenty years ago. Plotscripts can be declared differently now, so that's why the beginning of a script file looks different.
byakk0
Slime

Post by byakk0 »

Yep. It was a much anticipated game. I put a lot of interesting features in it. I think my fav is the ring of light while in a cave.
I wonder if it will even work anymore without a major overhaul.
Mogri
Super Slime

Post by Mogri »

Welcome back! 15 years is a long time.
FyreWulff
Slime Knight

Post by FyreWulff »

I remember you! Welcome back.
byakk0
Slime

Post by byakk0 »

Been working on Edo again. Just trying to see what works and what's broken. It's actually still in good shape. It's just jogging the old memory as to what guess on, what does what, that in working on now.

Some of the things I've got in there I've completely forgotten about. It's like playing a game for the first time. :)