The Catacombs of Avacor (Pathfinder Play-by-Post RPG)

Talk about things that are not making games here. But you should also make games!

Moderators: Bob the Hamster, marionline, SDHawk

BMR
Metal King Slime

Post by BMR »

The group makes its way through the south exit, with Catt taking the lead. It doesn't take long to reach the fork, and everyone can see that it opens up to a small room stacked high with crates, barrels, and chests. There are even a few brooms, mops, and buckets here and there. Chances are, it's a supply room of sorts.

Looking south, more of the room is visible. The floor of the room looks to be made of soil, and there are all sorts of bushes and trees in the area. Not quite as dense as an actual forest, as there is still plenty of room to move. More like some sort of nobleman's garden. You can see that a few of the trees have fruits hanging from them, as do some of the bushes. There is even a small pool in the center of the room, with a marble fountain. The fountain, however, is not running at the moment, and the water is still and clear. From where you are, you can see that there are two iron gates to the south, each leading to different hallways. There may be other exits to the east and the west, but from your angle you cannot see.

While everyone is moving, Daimo brings up the rear and holds the statue that they received aloft. He focuses his mind on it, and the statue begins to glow. It rises an inch or so above his hands, and rotates in the air for a while, before eventually stopping to point somewhere to the southeast.
Being from the third world, I reserve the right to speak in the third person.

Using Editor version wip 20170527 gfx_sdl+fb music_sdl
Bob the Hamster
Lord of the Slimes

Post by Bob the Hamster »

"See? What could be safer than a garden?"

Catt ignores the supply room for now, wandering into the garden room. She starts to scout its perimeter moving along the left-hand wall. She won't go to far, wanting to stay within easy shouting range of her friends, especially if they linger to raid the supply room.
BMR
Metal King Slime

Post by BMR »

Inside the garden room, Catt sees that there are another two exits, one to the northeast and another to the southeast. Neither are barred by any gates.

She travels along the eastern wall, peeking down down the exits. The northeast one opens up to a rather long hallway, with no forks or anything that Catt can see from where she is. The southeast one drops off 20 feet or so away, possibly down a staircase, opening up into what looks to be a rather massive chamber.

MorpheusKitami
Slime Knight

Post by MorpheusKitami »

"Jackpot!" Valie says gazing at the boxes of cleaning supplies. Taking a quick look deeper into the room, Valie has her familiar check the room slightly farther than Catt is, sticking to higher and therefore safer ground. Just far enough so Lilael can see if there's anything east or west. Valie searches the boxes for any alchemy ingredients or poisons.
OOC: The raven has low-light vision. Also, it speaks Elvish, or whatever its equal is in this setting.
BMR
Metal King Slime

Post by BMR »

Valie starts rummaging through the supply area while her raven goes scouting. The crates have loads of potions in them. She manages to gather 40 different bottles. Problem is, none of them are labelled. Still, it's not the first time she's encountered potions, so she takes a while to try to identify them. It's a slow process, but eventually she identifies:
  • Oil of Light ×2
  • Oil of Magic Weapon
  • Potion of Delay Poison
  • Potion of Levitate
  • Potion of Protection from Evil
  • Potion of Resistance ×4
  • Potion of Resist Electricity
  • Potion of Spider Climb

The other 28 bottles though, she's unable to identify, and they remain a mystery.

In addition to those, she also finds some more mundane stuff:

• Broom ×3
  • Mop ×2
  • Soap ×10
  • Hemp rope (200 ft)
  • Wooden bucket ×2
  • Rags (a whole lot of them)
  • Flask of lamp oil ×10

Lastly, there are also the three chests in the room, but they're locked, so she has no idea what's inside them. They do feel quite heavy though.

After some time, her raven returns and reports that the northeast hallway goes on for a rather long way. Lilael went down the hall thirty feet without seeing anything, and then turned back. The one to the southeast though, there were indeed stairs leading down. The first set of stairs led down to a stone platform that encircled the entire room, while another set of stairs led down even lower to an area filled with sarcophagi and marble pillars. Strangely, above each of the sarcophagus floated a glowing weapon of rather masterful craftsmanship.
Last edited by BMR on Wed Aug 07, 2019 2:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

MorpheusKitami
Slime Knight

Post by MorpheusKitami »

Valie motions to the others to come over while putting the potions she knows in a bucket, then in her cart. She also takes 5 rags and the lamp oil. She gives the Potion of Spider Climbing to Catt and the Oil of Magic Weapon to Daimo. She then says "Listen, there are some potions I don't know here, you can examine them if you so desire and we have the time." She then tells them what her raven told her, adding "We should get the donkey and cart to a safe place if we're going to steal the nice weapons, because I am not dragging all this stuff around myself." She then takes out the ten foot pole she has in her cart and offers it to Catt. "There are three chests over here. I don't know if they're trapped, so you might want this. My mother said to always bring a ten foot pole with you and have someone else check the chests. She also said make sure nobody dies, so who knows what she wanted me to bring along. I'll poke the chest if you really want me to."
OOC: Can I use the lamp oil and the rags as improvised molotov cocktails? If not, uh, just ignore me taking those.
BMR
Metal King Slime

Post by BMR »

OOC: You absolutely can use them as Molotovs, yes. And pretty much amy other creative, out of the box sort of thing as well.

Bob the Hamster
Lord of the Slimes

"Thanks, Valie!" Catt smiles, pocketing the offered potion.

Catt takes Valie's 10 foot pole on one hand, and one of the mops in the other hand. "Stand back, friends" she proceeds to give each chest a vigorous, aggressive probing with the two sticks.

If no traps are forthcoming, she will move in closer and give each a more careful examination before deciding whether it seems safe to use her thieves tools to pick the locks
Last edited by Bob the Hamster on Wed Aug 07, 2019 10:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
BMR
Metal King Slime

Post by BMR »

Catt pokes and prods the first chest, then the second, and the third.

Nothing happens.

Satisfied that they won't suddenly explode from being touched, she moves in closer to examine them. She inspects each, taking a close look at the locking mechanisms. As far as she can tell, they absolutely are trapped. She figures that there will be an explosion of some sort, but by her judgment, it's mostly to damage or destroy what's inside, rather than killing whoever attempts to break in. Still... there's the always the risk of the explosion affecting any erstwhile thief, so it's still not a safe bet to open them.

While she's doing that, Daimo takes a look at the potions. His training in the divine arts helps him to identify a few more of the bottes:

• Oil of Arcane Mark
  • Potion of Enlarge Person
  • Potion of Cure Light Wounds ×2
  • Oil of Bless Weapon
  • Oil of Align Weapon (Good) ×2
  • Potion of Protection from Chaos ×2

With that done, he takes a peek at the garden room while scanning it for magic, and he finds that while everything does glow with magic, some places do glow more. The trees in particular, are particularly magical, each glowing with strong necromantic auras.

SwordPlay
Chemical Slime

Post by SwordPlay »

(meant to post this a little earlier)

Boots clucks and warbles awkwardly.
"What's that? Potions!? Let me see! Here, let me!"

Boots rifles through them seemingly at random declaring them variously to be "Useless" "Garbage" and "Toilet Offerings"
He is obviously a bit jealous and upset that he didn't get to identify anything first, or maybe he wanted first dibs?

"A potion of climbing? Yes, you may need that, better you than me."

"I can fall... relatively safely... I just don't want to see Ms Catt fall to her doom... hopefully not."

"May I add some mundane sundries to thy cart, Valie? We may throw it out at a later time."

Daimo puts the rope gingerly in the cart. He also wants puts a mop and broom in the cart. "Can't abide dirt. Ghastly."
Last edited by SwordPlay on Thu Aug 08, 2019 6:29 pm, edited 5 times in total.
SwordPlay
Chemical Slime

Post by SwordPlay »

Daimo warns the party about the trees, and mentions his theory they are in a noble's crypt. He also intimates his fear of walking into a graveyard and creatures bursting from the nearby surroundings and doing the Thriller dance.

He cautions the party to keep a lookout for anything unusual, and inspects one of the trees for magic a little more.

He also suggests using the chests to explode something. Defensively, of course. Or maybe not.
Last edited by SwordPlay on Wed Aug 07, 2019 1:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bob the Hamster
Lord of the Slimes

"Bah! Slime it! These are all trapped" Catt grumbles. Batting the chests around less delicately than she should for something that might explode.

She glances in annoyance at Boots' ribbing.

A moment ago she was prepared to leave the chests alone but now she feels like she has something to prove.

Catt gets get thieves tools out and attempts to disarm or disable one of the trapped chests.
SwordPlay
Chemical Slime

Post by SwordPlay »

Daimo desperately tries to pull Catt off the chests

"Catt, NO! It's not worth it for a trinket! By god, let us leave here as soon as possible with our lives! Please! I was joking... are not the real riches friendship, and all our limbs? Which, I might add, we already possess?"

"I am almost certain that tampering with these chests will awaken some nearby hidden lurking creature, a guard of this crypt, that may burst from the earth at any moment. For the love of god, see ye not these trees and how they glow with dark energies?"

"At least let us inspect things for magic, or clues. We have a wealth of knowledge to draw upon, perhaps we may ascertain their purpose before risking our fingers and faces."
Last edited by SwordPlay on Thu Aug 08, 2019 6:25 pm, edited 8 times in total.
BMR
Metal King Slime

Post by BMR »

Just for reference:

Catt is the redhead, and that empty room is the supply area where the chests and barrels are. Sorry about not actually populating it, heh.

SwordPlay
Chemical Slime

Post by SwordPlay »

Daimo's face darkens and he looks haunted.

"I resent this place. We should not have come.
This is a plane full of hostile creatures, who have no need of sleep nor breath, and will fight until they, or we, are dust.
I feel their presence like the stench of necromancy that hangs o'er this place.
A place whose only purpose is death. Ours, if we are incautious.

We have no armour between us, and we are not warriors.
Let us use our skills to determine the best course of action and proceed carefully.

I... want to leave this place as soon as possible...
The prospect of wealth no longer entices me.
Why did I ever agree to this? This is no ordinary gig, and there must be more to it than what we have been told so far!
Are 200,000 gold pieces between us not enough? Are your bar tabs so steep?
For the love of god, I will give you some of my share if we can escape with our lives and limbs..."
Last edited by SwordPlay on Thu Aug 08, 2019 6:28 pm, edited 9 times in total.