The Surlaw Reviews - 1/2/23 - 2022 Year in Review

Talk about things that are not making games here. But you should also make games!

Moderators: Bob the Hamster, marionline, SDHawk

Gizmog
Metal King Slime

Post by Gizmog »

Okay, so you're totally right: the exact same slime he's done in every movie. I'm glad you mentioned Alfred though! Jeremy Irons is the best casting choice for Alfred yet. I thought Michael Caine was just a little bit too chummy.
The Wobbler
A Scrambled Egg

Post by The Wobbler »

Chronicles of Teddy: Harmony of Exidus

Puzzles, platforms, and Zelda II: A review of Storybird and LookAtMyGame's oddly titled action-adventure game.
The Wobbler
A Scrambled Egg

Post by The Wobbler »

Resident Evil 7: Beginning Hour

Don't get bit by the horrible ghost.
The Wobbler
A Scrambled Egg

Post by The Wobbler »

Dark Souls III

My Dark Souls III review's finally done. Let's all rank our Souls games!
The Wobbler
A Scrambled Egg

Post by The Wobbler »

Valkyria Chronicles Remastered

8 years after its original release, Sega's 2008 strategy RPG gets a remaster and I take a look at how well it's held up.
The Wobbler
A Scrambled Egg

Post by The Wobbler »

Doom

The Doom reboot/remake/sequel/whatever rules, my favorite shooter in years.
TMC
Metal King Slime

Post by TMC »

I'm really surprised by that Doom review. I didn't know anything about the game except that you can chainsaw demons in half, which didn't appeal to me. After such a glowing review I would go play the demo, but unfortunately it apparently doesn't run with Wine under Linux because even the demo, even installed via Steam, is copy-protected??

Some of those screenshots have a nice dusty red diffuse lighting and look completely like Mars without being boring piles of red rocks like the real Mars. Just one question: are those trees growing on Mars, or are they in Hell?
Last edited by TMC on Tue Jun 28, 2016 9:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
The Wobbler
A Scrambled Egg

Post by The Wobbler »

TMC wrote:I'm really surprised by that Doom review. I didn't know anything about the game except that you can chainsaw demons in half, which didn't appeal to me. After such a glowing review I would go play the demo, but unfortunately it apparently doesn't run with Wine under Linux because even the demo, even installed via Steam, is copy-protected??

Some of those screenshots have a nice dusty red diffuse lighting and look completely like Mars without being boring piles of red rocks like the real Mars. Just one question: are those trees growing on Mars, or are they in Hell?
It was really not a well marketed game. Leading up to release, Bethesda largely focused on the multiplayer and on the gory kills, instead of what really makes it work.

The tree picture is in Hell, which is partly designed to look like a scorched Earth instead of just being a pit of fire. There's a surprising amount of environmental variety!
The Wobbler
A Scrambled Egg

Post by The Wobbler »

Gone Home: Console Edition

Following up Doom with the most un-Doom first-person game possible, maybe.
The Wobbler
A Scrambled Egg

Post by The Wobbler »

Who's ready

FOR GAMES?

Street Fighter V

Furi

The Wobbler
A Scrambled Egg

Post by The Wobbler »

Salt and Sanctuary

It's a Dark Soul.
msw188
Metal Slime

Post by msw188 »

So I finally bought the DLC for Kart8, and yeah it's awesome. Definitely worth the price, considering you get practically another half-size game. I'm not sure any of the new tracks match my favorites on the core game, but they're still all great.

I also wanted to post about playing Super Bomberman (I think it was 2, on SNES). I feel like I must have played this before, but I couldn't really remember it. That game is awesome, and basically feeling it out for the first time last weekend, I absolutely loved it.
I am Srime
The Wobbler
A Scrambled Egg

Post by The Wobbler »

It's probably the most well priced DLC pack I've seen, it's great. It's too bad they seem to be done with the game now, I would have loved some Kirby courses.
msw188
Metal Slime

Post by msw188 »

I would totally pay again for a pack that included more courses, Kirby would be great but I'd take pretty much anything based on the quality they've shown me so far. BUT I do want to complain about one thing. It turns out that you can actually brake a bit during sliding, and this seems like it would be pretty damn helpful in 200cc. I was purposely not doing it because it also turns out you CANNOT do it on the wiimote+nunchuck setup. Why??? They reserve a button for a (pretty useless) rearview mirror. Why can't that be the brake? Like, this seems like the easiest patch in the world, just giving the option to reroute an input.

Luckily I did remember I bought a hideous pink Peach-themed smash controller plugin and my friend has now adjusted to playing with that. But my other friend is stuck with the wiimote and it baffles me why they would allow the most common control setup (I think...?) to have a defect like this.
I am Srime
The Wobbler
A Scrambled Egg

Post by The Wobbler »

Controller issues have been frustrating system wide. You can use the tablet to control some Wii ports, but not all of them? Why not add some control options if you're going to charge $20 for a straight port?