One Day, We May Yet Learn To Forgive dev thread

Make games! Discuss those games here.

Moderators: Bob the Hamster, marionline, SDHawk

Hedera
Slime Knight

One Day, We May Yet Learn To Forgive dev thread

Post by Hedera »

UPDATE 09/11/2022: first release, 0.00, is here http://www.slimesalad.com/forum/viewtop ... 9b5f525840

I'm making this dev thread because I've been a lazy butt and need to actually work on my project instead of thinking up new things to implement.

In One Day, etc., (hereby shortened to "odwmyltf"), the remains of an intergalactic civilization that destroyed itself overnight litter the cosmos. On "Our Planet", where the story takes place, they have no idea if anyone else is still living, or if they're the only survivors of the war a thousand years ago. Kingdoms and empires proliferate, carving out an existence with the bare minimum of technology and magic they were able to save.

In Laconia, the winters are getting colder and the summers drier, their wizards mostly focusing on ensuring that there's still food and water for the populace. The old emperor is overthrown and his son, Alexandros, takes the throne for himself. His daughter, the princess Irene is to be wed soon, new diplomatic and trade links are made with the city-state Central, and the people hope for the revolution to bring them renewed prosperity.

Unfortunately, the wedding's attacked by an ultra-monarchist terrorist group from Central, the Clean Men, who hope to provoke war between the two countries by kidnapping the princess and cursing her to turn into a demon. You must find her before it's too late, and afterwards, help her on her quest to track down the person who cursed her and get him to cure her. (there is no cure)

tldr version: what if phantasy star 3 and tactics ogre were the same game

Features that'll be in odwmyltf:

* A chapter-and-verse system where, after you progress to certain parts of the story, you can start a new game from these points!
* Dual wielding, equip a "secondary weapon" to make an extra attack in battle!
* An option to turn off all the NSFW content that'd get you in trouble, or at least most of it!
* Giant trees!
* Part of it involves the sex industry, thus fulfilling that particular requirement for it to be a cyberpunk story!
* Gay kissing, also straight kissing!
* It's really dark and violent!
* Probably other things that escape me at the moment

soon I'll put screenshots of things here even if they have horrible programmer graphics, you'll see
Last edited by Hedera on Sun Sep 11, 2022 6:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hedera
Slime Knight

Re: One Day, We May Yet Learn To Forgive dev thread

Post by Hedera »

been having Issues with recording gifs and function lock on my laptop, but have a pan across a starscape towards a planet
Attachments
The dark purple and black got switched from what they were in-game, somehow, when I recorded this...
The dark purple and black got switched from what they were in-game, somehow, when I recorded this...
ODWMYLTF0006.gif (1.26 MiB) Viewed 2738 times
Bob the Hamster
Lord of the Slimes

Post by Bob the Hamster »

That looks nice! I like how the stars fade away when the planet takes the frame
Hedera
Slime Knight

Post by Hedera »

Bob the Hamster wrote: Sun Dec 05, 2021 2:14 pm That looks nice! I like how the stars fade away when the planet takes the frame
Thanks! I wanted to simulate what looking up at the night sky is like when there's a giant bright object in view, such as streetlights or a full moon or the sun

At the beginning of the game, you'll be able to choose whether the "default silent protagonist" is a a girl (Naomi), a boy (Simon), or a dog (Alici). Naomi and Simon are fraternal twins, and have the same stats, spells, and equipment; Alici, being a dog, isn't related to either of them, but she still gets the same gear and abilities.
Attachments
the three genders
the three genders
spritesheet - naomi simon alici.png (5.22 KiB) Viewed 2681 times
pjbebi
Slime Knight

Post by pjbebi »

I think that's really fun and fresh, being able to choose the dog. The portraits also look great. Can't wait to play.
kylekrack
Liquid Metal Slime

Post by kylekrack »

Ah, the three genders: girl, boy, and dog.

But seriously, that's a hell of a fun choice for character creation.
My pronouns are they/them
Ps. I love my wife
Hedera
Slime Knight

Post by Hedera »

it actually was a thought experiment I had a while back, where I stated that jrpgs with silent protagonists could just as easily have you play as a dog, then I thought why not try it myself
pjbebi wrote: Sun Dec 19, 2021 2:15 am I think that's really fun and fresh, being able to choose the dog. The portraits also look great. Can't wait to play.
Thanks! I've got some more work to do on making sure systems work, but it's getting close to the "just make enemies and dialogue and you're good to go" phase.

full disclosure: pjbebi's been commissioned to make a bunch of songs for odwmyltf, and they're really tight, you should hire him for your projects
Hedera
Slime Knight

Post by Hedera »

Hedera Helix wrote: Wed Nov 17, 2021 1:12 am I'm making this dev thread because I've been a lazy butt and need to actually work on my project instead of thinking up new things to implement.

[...]

soon I'll put screenshots of things here even if they have horrible programmer graphics, you'll see
It's a new year, have some stuff from the debug room

* NSFW Mode lets you, the player, decide whether you want to see all the sliming and the people saying "slime". It's a global option, which persists across save files and new games, which you'll be able to see the status of on the title screen (coming soon).
* SmileMART, the local family-owned company that has a monopoly on online sales and drone distribution, allows you to buy and sell things whenever and wherever you want.
* Angelos' Notes is where all the lore's located, a la the Brave Story from Final Fantasy Tactics or the Warren Report from Tactics Ogre.
* Random encounters are visible on the map. Also, enemy stats are slightly randomized, while attacks aren't. Also also, attacks that miss or crit chain to separate attacks, rather than showing the graphic and saying "Miss!" or what have you. Also also also, you can choose whether to see the values of stats after attacks. Also also also also, enemies leave corpses when they die.
Attachments
it was either this or a "tits" joke involving the eponymous birds
it was either this or a "tits" joke involving the eponymous birds
ODWMYLTF0015.gif (173.06 KiB) Viewed 2519 times
The message at the top will change depending on where in the story you are.
The message at the top will change depending on where in the story you are.
ODWMYLTF0017.png (5.15 KiB) Viewed 2519 times
Let's see how much text will need to be written for this!
Let's see how much text will need to be written for this!
ODWMYLTF0018.png (4.92 KiB) Viewed 2519 times
The orange cursor is new, does it actually do anything?
The orange cursor is new, does it actually do anything?
ODWMYLTF0019.gif (1.45 MiB) Viewed 2519 times
Hedera
Slime Knight

Post by Hedera »

Dual wielding occurs when a character equips a weapon in both their "primary" and "secondary" equipment slots. The secondary weapon gives a penalty to accuracy, though.
Attachments
Liza misses a lot because she's a puny nerd
Liza misses a lot because she's a puny nerd
ODWMYLTF0020.gif (1.63 MiB) Viewed 2451 times
Hedera
Slime Knight

Post by Hedera »

Whenever you start a new game, because you'll be able to start it from various points in the game, some options are needed in order for the player to choose how they want things to be in their playthrough. From the top:

* Random Encounters - Do you want to have enemies wander around maps that you fight if you run into them? Or do you want to streamline things and not actually fight them?

* Enemy Difficulty - This determines how much physical and magical attack, among other things, enemies have. "Tame" is the least, "Fierce" is the most, and "Wary"'s in the middle.

* Boss Health - "Barebones" means bosses have roughly the same amount of health as you do, "Beefy" means they've got a lot more, and "Lean" means they've got a little more.

* Party's Starting Level - Self-explanatory. What level do you want everyone to start at?

* Party Name - COMING SOON

* Silent Protagonist - Is the obligatory default protagonist going to be Naomi, Simon, or Alici?

* Mercenary Hired? - COMING SOON

* POV Character - Who starts off at the head of the party. I'll go into more detail about this later.

* Equipment Distribution - Do you want everyone to start out with a full kit of gear, scaled to wherever in the story you start, or do you want the equivalent in money so you can buy them things yourself?
Attachments
tileset - new game options 1.png
tileset - new game options 1.png (2.99 KiB) Viewed 2401 times
These won't actually be tilesets in the final version, this was just a mockup.
These won't actually be tilesets in the final version, this was just a mockup.
tileset - new game options 2.png (3.29 KiB) Viewed 2401 times
Hedera
Slime Knight

Post by Hedera »

Each character has a special ability they can use in battle. When used, these abilities have a 10% chance of having the character say a quote, like in those two Matsuno games I keep trying to ape

if the quote appears, it won't appear again until the next chapter
Attachments
N/S/A have Escape, which allows you to run from random encounters...
N/S/A have Escape, which allows you to run from random encounters...
ODWMYLTF0016.gif (643.74 KiB) Viewed 2365 times
...for bosses, however, "Escape" turns into "Surrender", which forfeits the battle entirely and leads to a game over. Use if you know you can't win.
...for bosses, however, "Escape" turns into "Surrender", which forfeits the battle entirely and leads to a game over. Use if you know you can't win.
ODWMYLTF0022.png (3.06 KiB) Viewed 2365 times
Liza has First Aid, which restores 20% of an ally's max health and cures poison, sleep, and blind
Liza has First Aid, which restores 20% of an ally's max health and cures poison, sleep, and blind
ODWMYLTF0023.png (3.06 KiB) Viewed 2365 times
Hedera
Slime Knight

Post by Hedera »

Let's meet some more of the characters. From top to bottom:

- Liza ba'Tabitha is a teen prodigy who'd been accepted to the Academy of Magic as a teaching assistant at the age of 14. She also has to take care of both her older and younger brothers, financially, and by cooking and cleaning for them. Two years later, when the game starts, she's riding the edge of burnout. Will she be able to get away from her responsibilities, so that she can focus on that damned teleportation spell that isn't working right?

- Sven of Heraclion is a member of the royal guard, tasked to keep Princess Irene of House Sophia safe. When she's taken away by force during her wedding, Sven must enlist the help of two young magicians and a vagabond dryad in order to find her. You may or may not recognize him from a cameo in Eeeethical Hacking, as a test battle.

- Rufus is a diplomat from the distant state of Central. When the wedding of Princess Irene is attacked by renegade Centralians, he has to defuse the situation any way he can, before war breaks out between his country and Laconia. He does this by giving lots of money to Sven's rag-tag group, so they can bring the princess home safely.

- Nia is a dryad, bound to protect the last remaining tree of magic in Laconia, The Pillar. She's lived for over 1000 years, since before the future past magic technology civilization imploded. She works as a street priestess, tending to the poor, with the money she gets through prostitution.
Attachments
You can tell Rufus is an android because he has blue hair.
You can tell Rufus is an android because he has blue hair.
spritesheet - liza sven rufus nia.png (8.48 KiB) Viewed 2291 times
Hedera
Slime Knight

Post by Hedera »

edit: almost forgot to mention, I tweaked the master palette so rufus' hair and nia's bark are slightly different colors, to match what it originally looked like on my crummy laptop's screen

There are two different types of armor: light armor, which anyone can equip, and heavy, which only certain characters can use. It changes their graphics to reflect what they're wearing.
Attachments
Irene's casting frame in both spritesheets are magenta because it's a placeholder color; it's supposed to be solid black in-game
Irene's casting frame in both spritesheets are magenta because it's a placeholder color; it's supposed to be solid black in-game
spritesheet - sven irene with and without armor.png (6.39 KiB) Viewed 2148 times
Hedera
Slime Knight

Post by Hedera »

The being-a-lazy-butt syndrome has returned, unfortunately. I want to have something to show yall soon, possibly this weekend, but I've been too busy with work lazy to do actual work on odwmyltf instead of tinkering with the portrait graphics.

Soon though. Maybe.
Hedera
Slime Knight

Post by Hedera »

Guess who hasn't been working on their game, and as incentive, will be entering the 2022 Heart Slam contest with whatever state their game is in by the end of day, August 31? This person :kamina: