My new project

Make games! Discuss those games here.

Moderators: Bob the Hamster, marionline, SDHawk

Mammothstuds
Slime Knight

My new project

Post by Mammothstuds »

Hi, all! It's been a while.

I'm happy to announce that my current project - Mirrored Soul - is coming along spectacularly. I've posted about it a few times, but if you're not familiar, it's an RPG heavily inspired by games like Shin Megami Tensei and the MOTHER series, as well as the OHRRPGCE curios I've grown up making and playing. In short, it's basically my dream project.

In this game, you can amass a team of monsters to fight by your side. My current plan is there will be over 200 of them -- I've already created the sprites for each and every last one. The battle system allows you to negotiate with monsters, and this is your main key to recruiting them. Different monsters will join your party through different means -- some merely need to be sweet-talked, some may require you to cough up an item or two, and some you may have to best in battle.

The storyline stars a bumbling, out-of-practice detective named Cecel and his mysterious one-eyed feline sidekick named Spot. Their adventures through two dimensions -- Cecel's homeworld (our very own planet earth) and Spot's (an esoteric dimension filled with monsters, seemingly existing inside of a mirror) will hopefully have players laughing, crying, and everything in-between as they inch ever closer to taking down the lecherous villain known as the Mirrorlord.

Please look forward to further news on this project! I would love to hear thoughts and opinions, too.
Attachments
More random encounters!
More random encounters!
encounter2.png (99.04 KiB) Viewed 4629 times
Random encounters!
Random encounters!
random encounter.png (101.52 KiB) Viewed 4629 times
Mysterious locales!
Mysterious locales!
mirror world.png (400.05 KiB) Viewed 4629 times
Colorful NPCs!
Colorful NPCs!
shroot.png (88.71 KiB) Viewed 4629 times
Side-quests!
Side-quests!
npc 1.png (37.53 KiB) Viewed 4629 times
You can fuse monsters together to create new ones!
You can fuse monsters together to create new ones!
monster fusion.png (114.91 KiB) Viewed 4629 times
Fight with monsters, or sway them to your side through negotiation!
Fight with monsters, or sway them to your side through negotiation!
negotiation.png (105.35 KiB) Viewed 4629 times
Build alliances with monsters through special conditions!
Build alliances with monsters through special conditions!
excalot.png (97.21 KiB) Viewed 4629 times
Shops!
Shops!
shop.png (63.04 KiB) Viewed 4629 times
Mysterious allies!
Mysterious allies!
spot.png (46.92 KiB) Viewed 4629 times
Last edited by Mammothstuds on Wed May 12, 2021 5:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Baconlabs
Liquid Metal Slime

Post by Baconlabs »

I have one question and one question only

how will you go about mimicking the background animations used in Mother 2? That first screenshot in particular looks like it'd be pretty great as a gif
kylekrack
Liquid Metal Slime

Post by kylekrack »

Yay! I hope to be able to play this one. I've always liked your art and game feel. Those menus look very clean. Is this rpg maker? I'm curious to hear how the workflow is in that compared to the ohr.
Baconlabs wrote:I have one question and one question only

how will you go about mimicking the background animations used in Mother 2? That first screenshot in particular looks like it'd be pretty great as a gif
It looks like you can have a maximum of 50 frames of backdrop animation in battle in the ohr. As long as you can animate the background the way you want, exporting the frames as individual images is not very difficult. GIMP has pretty effective tools for that. Would take up considerable space, but it's definitely doable, the only limit being 50 max frames.
My pronouns are they/them
Ps. I love my wife
Mammothstuds
Slime Knight

Post by Mammothstuds »

Ah-ha! Glad you asked! I wish this site allowed the posting of MP4s, because it looks pretty cool in motion. I post updates on my Twitter -- you can see my game in motion there. Tell me what you think! https://twitter.com/mammothplant
Last edited by Mammothstuds on Wed May 12, 2021 11:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mammothstuds
Slime Knight

Post by Mammothstuds »

kylekrack wrote:Yay! I hope to be able to play this one. I've always liked your art and game feel. Those menus look very clean. Is this rpg maker? I'm curious to hear how the workflow is in that compared to the ohr.

It looks like you can have a maximum of 50 frames of backdrop animation in battle in the ohr. As long as you can animate the background the way you want, exporting the frames as individual images is not very difficult. GIMP has pretty effective tools for that. Would take up considerable space, but it's definitely doable, the only limit being 50 max frames.
I'm actually making this game in Godot with the help of a programmer. And I'm glad you're excited! I should have a demo available fairly soon.

As for my workflow -- my programmer sets up the framework for me to work on the game, implementing new options as per my request. It just so happens that the way I'm making this game is very similar to the way I made games in OHHRPGCE! Not sure if that's thanks to the engine itself, or to the customizations my programmer has made. Probably the latter. The guy's a bloody genius.
Last edited by Mammothstuds on Wed May 12, 2021 11:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Baconlabs
Liquid Metal Slime

Post by Baconlabs »

Hah! Well, hello, then, fellow Godot migrant. I'm eager to play your demo.
Mammothstuds
Slime Knight

Post by Mammothstuds »

Baconlabs wrote:Hah! Well, hello, then, fellow Godot migrant. I'm eager to play your demo.
Thank you so much! I'll try not to disappoint
Bob the Hamster
Lord of the Slimes

Post by Bob the Hamster »

This looks great! :D
kylekrack
Liquid Metal Slime

Post by kylekrack »

Godot?!? Fantastic. Glad you've got some help, then. Collaboration can be life-saving, and I've heard lots of good things about Godot.
Ps. I love my wife
Mammothstuds
Slime Knight

Post by Mammothstuds »

Bob the Hamster wrote:This looks great! :D
Thank you so much!
kylekrack
Liquid Metal Slime

Post by kylekrack »

Just saw this meme someone made about their game, and made me think of this.

[s]Image[/s]
The caption was "Me each time when someone asks if Oddventure was made with RPG Maker."

Edit: uh oh, slime salad doesn't like webp files, one moment
Edit again: ok here's a png
Attachments
6931144-ixepqqfb-v4.png
6931144-ixepqqfb-v4.png (237.9 KiB) Viewed 4505 times
Last edited by kylekrack on Fri May 14, 2021 11:12 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Ps. I love my wife
Arti
Red Slime

Post by Arti »

It look amazing the game. I can't wait for playing. :D
Arti
Mammothstuds
Slime Knight

Post by Mammothstuds »

Arti wrote:It look amazing the game. I can't wait for playing. :D
Thank you so much! Hopefully I'll have a demo out soon
Mammothstuds
Slime Knight

Re: My new project

Post by Mammothstuds »

Hey, everyone! Just an update: I'm planning on releasing a demo in a little under two weeks! Keep your eyes peeled -- I'm gonna link it here when it drops!
Mammothstuds
Slime Knight

Demo's out!

Post by Mammothstuds »

Demo's out. You can find it here:
https://mammothplant.itch.io/mirrored-soul
Give it a try, and let me know what you think