My new project

Make games! Discuss those games here.

Moderators: Bob the Hamster, marionline, SDHawk

kylekrack
Liquid Metal Slime

Re: My new project

Post by kylekrack »

That's a big download. Doesn't seem like this game would take up that much space. Or does Godot just have bad filesizes?
My pronouns are they/them
Ps. I love my wife
Mammothstuds
Slime Knight

Post by Mammothstuds »

kylekrack wrote: Sat Sep 04, 2021 12:10 am That's a big download. Doesn't seem like this game would take up that much space. Or does Godot just have bad filesizes?
I...think Godot is notorious for that? I'm not 100 percent sure, though. The game's code contains a lot of assets which aren't even in the demo, such as later-game maps, enemies which don't show up yet at that point in the game, and a huge amount of music (the entire soundtrack's in there.) I'm new to serious game development, so I'm no good at optimization...sorry
kylekrack
Liquid Metal Slime

Post by kylekrack »

Ah, music will probably be a big part of that. It was mostly interesting because the art assets are 2D and low res.

Anyway, I played a bit of the demo. It's got a bit of a slow start, admittedly, but I really like the combat. The negotiating mechanic is obviously inspired by other RPGs, but has a unique spin on it. I like it! I love the idea of recruiting monsters to work with you. Party building systems are always fun, especially when they're as quirky as this one.

Speaking of monster recruiting, the fusing mechanic is interesting too. My problem is that it seemed completely random what monster I got when I fused two monsters. I thought the idea was to fuse two of the same kind to get a stronger version, but that didn't seem to be the case. I think that mechanic would be a lot more interesting if there were fusing recipes to get new monsters that can't be found and recruited in the wild. Right now, it seems mostly like a way to get rid of monsters that don't fit in the party. Which is fine, but it'd be really nice if there was more depth to it.

I look forward to seeing more of where the story goes and how it builds on the systems.
My pronouns are they/them
Ps. I love my wife
Mammothstuds
Slime Knight

Post by Mammothstuds »

kylekrack wrote: Sun Sep 05, 2021 8:01 pm Ah, music will probably be a big part of that. It was mostly interesting because the art assets are 2D and low res.

Anyway, I played a bit of the demo. It's got a bit of a slow start, admittedly, but I really like the combat. The negotiating mechanic is obviously inspired by other RPGs, but has a unique spin on it. I like it! I love the idea of recruiting monsters to work with you. Party building systems are always fun, especially when they're as quirky as this one.

Speaking of monster recruiting, the fusing mechanic is interesting too. My problem is that it seemed completely random what monster I got when I fused two monsters. I thought the idea was to fuse two of the same kind to get a stronger version, but that didn't seem to be the case. I think that mechanic would be a lot more interesting if there were fusing recipes to get new monsters that can't be found and recruited in the wild. Right now, it seems mostly like a way to get rid of monsters that don't fit in the party. Which is fine, but it'd be really nice if there was more depth to it.

I look forward to seeing more of where the story goes and how it builds on the systems.
Thanks for playing!
Fusion is actually not entirely random, although it can seem that way. Fusion results are determined by monster classification -- in layman's terms, the little icons you see next to the monster's name. The monster you end up with will always share at least one class with the monsters who went into fusing it. The thing that actually makes fusion useful is that the resulting monster will inherit skills from its two predecessors, including ones it normally wouldn't be able to learn. Also, I am planning on adding fusion-exclusive monsters, and in fact there is one already in the game -- obviously, though, one isn't enough.
All in al, I'm glad you liked the game, and I'm glad you're invested, hehe