Red Triangle Games Projects (Development Thread)

Make games! Discuss those games here.

Moderators: Bob the Hamster, marionline, SDHawk

RMZ
King Slime

Re: Red Triangle Super Collection (Development Thread)

Post by RMZ »

Yesterday was fun with fog and failure. Thanks for lending me the fog stuff a few years ago James! I didn't really use it great in Axe Cop but it's shining a lot more prominently in the neighborhood stage. I'm trying to adapt the custom keys Mogri and I did back in 2006 and add else statements and stuff to make it work for game pad situations simultaneously. I'm about 75% there with it but something I did busted it last night. Really glad that the OHR does auto-backups of game files, that feature saved me a lot of work going back to before I broke it.
Attachments
Scare_Spree0020.gif
Scare_Spree0020.gif (1.68 MiB) Viewed 3294 times
Bob the Hamster
Lord of the Slimes

Post by Bob the Hamster »

Ooh! That is looking great!
RMZ
King Slime

Post by RMZ »

Thanks man! It's been fun retouching this old game with some new skills.

Thanks to Ravancloak for helping me get to the finish line with the task, but I got the entire game now to run simultaneously with keyboard or game pad! No control mode, it's either or. Next one the list is finishing up custom menus to not use those cumbersome backdrops. I just have to make a controls/how to play area for the title screen and that segment is checked off the list. I might have left the old title screen as it was, but it felt so bad to have the bundle file go into Scare Spree, then when you exit the game just ends, so I needed a gateway from gameplay to bundle so it could easily go backwards if desired.
Attachments
Scare-Spree_2021_title.gif
Scare-Spree_2021_title.gif (35.42 KiB) Viewed 3278 times
RMZ
King Slime

Post by RMZ »

I think I'm almost done with the major things for Scare Spree now! All the character selection screen stuff is done. I redid the level intros from being just a backdrop to something a little fancier. I am toying with the idea of a horde of bats flying in to form the character sprite. I need to update the exit screen and then probably spend a couple hours doing new/revised walkabouts for some of the sprites I think don't hold up as well. Excited for people to play it for the first time or play it to get a freshened up experience.
Attachments
Scare Spree0000.gif
Scare Spree0000.gif (807.64 KiB) Viewed 3251 times
TMC
Metal King Slime

Post by TMC »

Very nice! Glad to see this level of polish as a matter of course, not just Axe Cop.
RMZ wrote: Thu Sep 09, 2021 3:18 am Thanks to Ravancloak for helping me get to the finish line with the task, but I got the entire game now to run simultaneously with keyboard or game pad! No control mode, it's either or.
Since I've been working on gamepad controls/fixing bugs recently I'd like to hear what the difficulty was in adding gamepad support to the game. I'd thought it would be pretty simple, even when adapting old scripts.

And yes, I don't know why someone would put a toggleable keyboard/gamepad controls option in a game since it's much more work and apparently useless.
RMZ
King Slime

Post by RMZ »

Thanks TMC! I'm trying to preserve the games I've made in the best light possible before really making another big project. I think all of my projects that can be improved, at least visually, should get the Scare Spree treatment. I'm hesitant to spend this effort on MTA only because it's such a giant game and that could be a 2 year investment easily. I'm happy with the game but think I could address some beginning of game issues a lot of people seem to have and maybe make it a better game. It's just a huge undertaking.

The main issue was just kinda figuring out how Mogri coded things. Actually implementing the dual controls wasn't hard once Ravan showed me how to do it with some new commands I'd never used. Again, thanks Ravan!

Rue ran the bundle through the ringer over the weekend, seriously guys, if you have a game ready for release and want it checked thoroughly, hit up Rue. He's the best tester you'll ever get. Anyways, Scare Spree is now in the final polish phase. Anyways, aside from majority of bugs squashed I've updated the Killer Kong character today. It's an old joke, but it's now a finished one, when he does his trap move it plays a snippet of a song from the album he's based on, scaring the kids away just like in real life.

I just have to redo the Ghost and Witch to be done with the minimum art updates I wanted. Hoping to be done with all of that by EOD tomorrow.
Attachments
scarespree_killerkong.gif
scarespree_killerkong.gif (1.23 MiB) Viewed 3210 times
RMZ
King Slime

Post by RMZ »

The bundle is coming along really great. I've officially bought and prepped the space on Steam for the listing. This weekend Bena is going to make some final tweaks to Video Goose as well. Scare Spree is fully finished, providing I don't make any small tweaks before release day. The only thing I really need to address is probably a day on Knight Slights to see how the jokes land with the questions on the Steam questionaire for ratings.

Here's a video of my final playtest session of Scare Spree if anybody wanted to see some of the menus and such in motion.

I'm also entering Holly's Halloween contest with a neat little puzzle game I'm doing myself and will be the first update to the bundle after Halloween is over. I'm really proud of the titles in this bundle.
Attachments
RTSC_Steam_Header.png
RTSC_Steam_Header.png (142.26 KiB) Viewed 3188 times
RMZ
King Slime

Post by RMZ »

I've taken a short break to get a big jump on my Halloween game (which has been so much fun to do). I'm finishing up the bundle this week and have made a trailer for it. I have it scheduled to post on Friday, 10/22. I'm hoping that the week before Halloween and the "new game status" listing on Steam gets it some attention. Nearly half the games in it are spooky, so it can't hurt a thing!

RMZ
King Slime

Post by RMZ »

Super Collection has been done for some time, it's actually live on itch.io. I've been having a tough time getting it on Steam, specifically their interpretations of the controller support. I had it set for partial support, but to them, partial support is only using the mouse and keyboard during set-up of the game and not during gameplay, which makes no sense. I'll take Gizmog's advice in the future and try to get the mouse games mapped to use keyboard/gamepad in a future update. Hopefully I can get this sorted out before Halloween on Steam as I think Scare Spree works best being played before then.

I did add Block Bonanza to the collection last night, so it's already there for itch users and should be in the Steam build whenever that happens (hopefully today).

RMZ
King Slime

Post by RMZ »

Very happy to report the bundle was approved after work today! Please enjoy it. Everybody worked so hard and I'm honored to have made these games with you all. My year of epic team ups has been so great.

Bob the Hamster
Lord of the Slimes

Post by Bob the Hamster »

Very nice! Congratulations!
RMZ
King Slime

Post by RMZ »

Thanks James!

Last night I spent a few hours trying to set the high scores in Scare Spree. Special thanks to Rue and Holly for hanging out during part of that. I feel like I broke myself but got some scary good high scores.

Steam has logged about 2000 downloads for it, so that's been neat for it only being out a short while. If you guys liked any of the games and have Steam, a review is always helpful for the algorithm to help more people find it.
Pepsi Ranger
Liquid Metal Slime

Post by Pepsi Ranger »

Kind of off-topic, but I really like your YouTube title screen design. High quality stuff!
Place Obligatory Signature Here
RMZ
King Slime

Post by RMZ »

Oh thanks! Yeah when I kinda decided to ease off on heavy projects I knew I wanted to do more Youtube videos for the games and it helps dress them up with a good intro clip. I'm actually working on getting an outro one for the whole "like and subscribe" thing. I've got two intros I use, one for like a series (the big rock one), and then the trailers (the RTG logo with the jingle).
RMZ
King Slime

Post by RMZ »

While this isn't Super Collection related, figured this might be an alright place for Development updates for my own projects.

I've got a few things I want to make this year, but I think before I make anything new, I need to wrap up what's old (and frankly paid for on Steam), and that's Mr. Triangle's Maze. I think it'll likely be my last Mr. Triangle release. I did kinda always envision MTA and Maze to be companion pieces in a way. I know MTA ends on a cliffhanger, but I just think it's kinda time to do what I set out to do, and take a character with a horrible past, and let myself and the work he's been in lately attempt to redeem him. People love Maze, still for some reason. So it means a lot to me to finally finish the project. I'm sure some of it will feel dated from what's possible now, but if I spent tons of time reworking things I'd never release it.

Worthy loves things that are tough as nails, so the boss battles and some of the secret levels are like that. I worry about the balance of the overall game because of that, but I mean... this isn't just my game, it's OUR game, and I intend on preserving both his and mine's vision.

I'll likely be posting updates to the project here. I think realistically I can get what I want done on the project comfortably by summer of this year!